Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone else here a SP (Schwarzbein Principle "follower"?)

Hi,

I'm pretty new here, so I'm still finding my way around.

Lookin for other SP's to talk with.
I posted in the SP section, but was told that not all that many people frequent that forum.

Here's a question.

If I feel headachy and sluggish right after a meal (and didn't before the meal)...what could that mean??

Thanks all,
Mindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Make sure your protein intake is adequate. DS actually has a table with protein requirements the 'Program' book. That is the single biggest factor in my feeling good after I eat. Are you following the newest book, or one of the other 2? The overall carb requirements are much much higher in the 3rd book, which may contribute to that sluggish feeling after eating, too. This is actually a major 'sticking point' for me in fully embracing this plan...the drastic changes from book to book. But I feel so much better, I'm going to stick with it!

Others say that getting all your carbs from non-grain sources helps with that, too.

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, Jul-04-05 at 09:49.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 12:02

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Mindy, I am struggling with that exact same problem. I have been eating well on this plan for years, but my adrenal fatigue has increased due to stress. I haven't figured out why I have developed this problem yet. It is particularly bad after lunch. I often have to lay down after lunch because I feel very dizzy too. It could just be part of the adrenal thing, but I'm thinking it may be due to some food sensitivities that I just can't figure out. I did an elimination diet where I took out all the usual suspects, but didn't feel better. I'm thinking of splurging on the testing. Could also be candida, but I don't know if that explains why it happens after eating. My ND also said that alot of my complaints such as headaches, dry skin and itchiness could be related to my liver. I never used to have headaches at all. Now I have them every afternoon.

If you figure out what the problem is, please post it. Maybe I could get some insight then too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 14:21

Stats: 182/182/- Female 73
BF:
Progress:

I just started a week ago and I have the exact same feeling after meals. Almost makes me want to avoid eating altogether. I think I'm getting enough protein now (at first I was having a bowl of plain oatmeal with one egg and the dazed feeling was more pronounced), but I never felt this bad on the carbs. Was I really that dependent on the sugar and caffeine?! I'm just wondering when I'm going to feel better.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 20:19
Registered Member

How many carbs a day are you guys eating, and how much protein per day, please?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 09:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Elle,

I've not yet started the SP, so I couldn't even guess how many carbs I am eating. I have never in my life counted carbs, calories, or anything else in regards to food/dieting, so this counting stuff will be a new thing for me. Seems like a lot of work and seems intimidating, but I guess I'll learn.

Thanks so much for all of the help/support y'all have offered.

Mindy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 11:34
Registered Member

Well, it is a pain at first, but it really would help you to know where you're starting from, I think. You could just write down everything you eat one day, along with the quantities, being brutally honest, and figure it from there. Then you'd get an idea of the changes you need to make and just eyeball it from there.

If you're not doing DS yet, then it's pretty much impossible to advise you on the headaches, etc, until you're on board with it. Hope you feel better soon!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 21:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Just thot I'd bring this back up to the top.

Mindy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 10:07

Stats: 330/308/185 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hello. I am new here and I showed up specifically because of the Schwarzbein discussion. I think this woman is amzing and her books have really helped!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 12:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

AlyBlu,

Hi. I'm fairly new too. Guess I can still say, Welcome!

Are you following her program and if so how long for??
What kind of stages have you gone through and what changes have you seen in your health/body, if any??

Thanks,
Mindy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 10:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy66
AlyBlu,

Hi. I'm fairly new too. Guess I can still say, Welcome!

Are you following her program and if so how long for??
What kind of stages have you gone through and what changes have you seen in your health/body, if any??

Thanks,
Mindy

I have slowly following her plan. I am still in stage one as I completely toasted my adrenals and I have pcos.

I feel better and my brain fog has decreased significantly. I also am noticing a better more sustained energy.

I have had moderate weight loss - but that is my secondary goal. SP really advocates getting healthy and as you get healthy you will naturally loose weight, but I still have some stuff I am trying to get out of my life. I am hard core addicted to soda pop and am slowly getting that out of my life and I still get really bad carb cravings. So my goals are more immediate than weight loss - which I am still hoping for!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 12:11
Registered Member

Welcome, AlyBlu!

So you're following insuling resistant with burned out adrenals? Me, too, although I probably should be following IS w/ BOA. I'm working my way up to that one, very very slowly.

This is a great plan, I agree.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 09:52

BF:

Hi Elle!

Are you insulin resistant?

How long have you been doing the IR w/BOA?

I am working on it, but I am not as diligent as I would like (Protein gets expensive!) But I am trying.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 12:27
Registered Member

I really don't think I am insulin resistant. I haven't had my blood work done yet (next month), but I tested my blood sugars one day, right before eating and 1 hour after eating, and they stayed between 80 & 98. I know that doesn't measure insulin levels, but it's obvious that my body is responding appropriately to insulin. Now I just need the fasting level, which I intend to push for at that physical next month b/c of the rampant diabetes in my family.

But I am coming from many years of low-carb eating (more accurately, YO-YO low-carbing), and I just can't jump to those higher levels after years of that, psychologically. I think this is my 3rd week doing SP.

As far as protein being expensive, we just buy whatever is on sale, divide it up and freeze it. For example, I only eat 2 ounces per 'meal', so a large half chicken breast (about 8 oz nowadays) will make about 4 'meals' for me. We can always get those for 1.99/lb somewhere, so that's about 0.25/meal.