Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 09:34
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:
Default Please tell how long you have been on the SP.

Hi,

Please tell us how long you have been on the Schwarzbein Program and what, if any, results you have seen.

Thanks,
Mindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

About a month. The first 2 weeks were easy, but I'm finding it harder and harder to stick to. My cravings for sugar and carbs are still out of control. I lost 2 pounds initially, but I'm sure they're back. I won't weigh myself--dont' need to add THAT frustration to the mix! I think I need to be on a higher carb level plan, I'm doing IRBOA. Once I get my bloodwork done in Aug, I plan to readdress that. I have been feeling better overall, however, and am totally off caffeine and artificial sweetners.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 11:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

A few years. Doesn't sound promising since I am worse off than before, but my problem is stress. Following the eating plan, I don't have any food cravings, which is good (although I had lots of cravings for sweets when pregnant and postpartum). My weight looks super high because I haven't figured out how to change the numbers, but I have been losing steadily in the last few months. Once you are on the program for awhile, you can figure out how to manipulate it so as to lose weight slowly if this isn't coming easily for you. I don't agree with everything she says and deviate here and there.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 13:09
Registered Member

Jende, you can to a link at the top of the page that says "user CP" then "edit profile" on the left side of the page to change the weights.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 07:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Elle,

Just noticed your post here.
Doesn't SP recommend not giving up the caffeine until later if you need it for energy, etc.
Do you think that "using" it would be beneficial, at least temporarily??
Just curious.

Blessings,
Mindy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 09:31

BF:

Thanks for the tip Elle .
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 09:54

BF:

I just noticed that my progress was calculated and it's a negative number . Oh my self esteem continues to take a hit.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 13:55
Registered Member

Mindy,

Yea, she does say that, but for some reason, I noticed that after I switched to the green tea in the mornings instead of coffee, about 2 weeks later, I suddenly woke up one day not needing/wanting caffeine! And I haven't needed it since. It's been 4 days now. Energy level, in and of itself, has been improved, more and more since I stopped the caffeine. It was very strange, but I went with it. The caffeine never helped with the feelings of overwhelm I get anyway, so I figured I'd just let it go. Thanks for the thought....and I still have it in the cabinet if the 'urge' comes back!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 15:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi Mindy,

I do a combination of neanderthin and schwartzbein which is working well for me. I haven't been losing lately, but have been more interested in maintaining and upping the variety of foods that I am able to eat.

I started balancing my meals a couple of months ago. I am at my alltime 10 year low weight, which is what I was so interested in maintaining, especially this past summer while my grandkids were visiting.

I am now in the process of eliminating all wheat from my diet as it causes me problems allergy wise, and I let some creep in while my grandbabies were here.

Marty
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 16:14

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Mindy,
Don't know if this will help you or not, but when my sister and I decided to switch to a low carb plan (in 2001), she went on SP (the first book), mainly because she is a vegetarian and it was the most veggie-friendly of the LC plans. She did quite well on it - started out a size 18-20 (around 190 pounds - and she's 5' tall) and ended up with a size 8 (don't know what her weight was - she's not a big fan of weighing in at all). She really liked the plan and Dr. S approach and she stuck to it throughout her whole low carb career (while I started with Atkins and jumped around from plan to plan - part of that is personality but there's something to be said for the SP if she stuck to only that plan and didn't try others!)

I don't know how long it took her - I'm guessing a little over a year (perhaps more - but shorties are slow losers )

I haven't seen her in a while, but I know she's no longer on any LC plan as her attitude towards food has differed. She still believes in whole organic foods which she got from SP but she basically doesn't count anything and just keeps portions in control. I do know she's gained some back - the last time she wrote me she was a size 14. But she's happy that way and has a much healthier attitude towards food than I do!

That's one reason I'm starting SPP in a week - I'm looking to have a healthier attitude towards food...

Tam
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 01:29

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Quote:
That's one reason I'm starting SPP in a week - I'm looking to have a healthier attitude towards food...

That is the reason that I have started to shift more towards Schwartzbein. The attitude that I have towards food.

When I was on Atkins, I lost weight, but had a tendency to eat lots of things with gooky chemicals, pepperoni, lots of hot dogs, prefab foods, as long as the carb count was OK, I would eat it. I read Neanderthin and learned some more, but there just wasn't enough guidance to the plan. I wasn't losing, but I wasn't gaining. I read in Protein Power about the arachodonic acid and became more aware of what I was eating, but couldn't do the math to figure out what to eat.

Then I read about The Zone and learned even more. I started to understand more about my body and how food affected the way that I was feeling, both physically and mentally. I travel a lot and realized that if I was caught in a restaurant with few good choices that part of the CAD principles would work, but at home CAD fueled a raging inferno of desire for food.

I learned a lot from reading TheBettys Journal, read some other journals, Nat's, Karen's, and started reading back posts. Then I started reading up on Schwartzbeing and thought about what "a damaged metabolism" meant. Each step on my journey I have learned a bit more about my body, what was going wrong, and just how wrong, wrong was.

The balance in the Schwartzbein way of eating helps me a lot. i am no longer posessed with most foods (still have one major trigger) and it is easy for me to figure out.

I'm still not sure where in the spectrum my body stands, but follow a woe from the first book as much as possible right now. It has kept me sane and healthy through a lot of stress and agony through the past 12 weeks. Foods that I would choose haven't been readily available for quite a while. The whole foods mantra has kept me going, making the best choices I could from a whole range of bad options. marty
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Great to read your stories. thanks for sharing!!

Mindy