Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/350/285 Male 6'3
BF:Alot of it =)
Progress: 0%
Default Looking for recommendations on supplements to take during induction?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some kind of recommendations on supplements to take during induction. Yesterday and today I noticed my legs cramping up and im assuming that is due to the lack of potassium(SP?) I know I cant eat bananas and read you will have to take a supplement for this, but I just want to make sure I take a "Good" supplement meaning one that doesnt have anything in it I shouldnt be taking but dont know what it is.

So can anyone recommend anything from maybe like a grocery store (Albertsons, Safeway,) if they carry anything or maybe a GNC? Im gonna go get some after work pending recommendations.

Also are there any other supplements I should be taking during induction of Atkins right now? If so, please let me know and recommend something to.

TIA,
Whiteice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I use a bit of Morton's Lite Salt (contains Potassium) at each meal and have never experienced the leg cramps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:33

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I just started today taking calcuim & magnisium, I think this helps with cramps. I am also taking potassium because my arms are falling asleep at night. The sales lady also told me that potassium can increase your energy on a low carb diet. I also started taking L-Glutamine for achy legs during exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 18:05
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Whiteice,

Yes, I agree that you need potassium, calcium and magnesium.

Low carbing makes us lose more water than usual, and we lose electrolytes along with the water.

Low potassium can give a weak, tired feeling, along with heaviness in the limbs.
You can either use a salt replacement such as No Salt, and just sprinkle it on your food, or you can take tablets. The Drs Eades (of Protein Power) recommend taking about 400mg per day. It's best to take the tablets with food, or it can irritate your tum.
And anyone taking diuretics or blood pressure meds should check with their pharmacist before supplementing with potassium.

Magnesium is the one that stops leg cramps. But it works best when you are getting enough potassium, as well as calcium. Calcium and magnesium work best when taken in a 2 cal:1 mag formula. I believe you can get 333:167 tablets. 3 of those a day will prevent leg cramps. You might find it helps to take the last one before bed time.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 00:06

Plan: portioned protein lowcarb
Stats: 240/182/189 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 114%

I have noticed slight calf cramping during my best periods of weight loss.
I kinda view it as a "good sign"
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 02:06

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Unfortunately potassium supplements supply a very low dosage. I usually drink my potassium in one of two forms. I either drink the Atkins RTD shakes or drink a glass of Soy Slender Chocolate milk. The Soy Slender tastes delish.

I was taking potassium supplements but they only have about 99mg per pill.

OG