Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 01:31

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Carrot,
Nice to have you back. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Sommersizing is one of the few plans I have not read, but they all seem to have the same message with variations on a theme. Investigate, and see what works best for you and your body. Do you like whole milk? Are you happy with non fat? Lately I have been trying some new approaches to LCarbing myself. Some have been good some have not. I have not shied far from the path. I'm afraid to take some steps because I fear falling off the wagon. Some of this stuff is up to you. Hows the blood pressure?
It is very confusing to know what is right. I know I like the way I feel. I'm sleeping better now than I did as a child. My moods and energy are improving all the time. I like things simple and my variety is not to good but my meals are great. I'm kind of a picky eater, so my main veges are spinach, broccoli and asparagus. Breakfast lunch or dinner. it's all good. I rambling, sorry!

Talk to you soon
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%

JudyAh,

Thanks for your reply. Had a great time in the Keys and was able to stay away from the Margaritas, cookies, brownies and popcorn that everyone else was having. It wasn't too hard, but I sure would have liked a few of them!! Of course, my husband indulged in all of it and came back 2 pounds lighter Me....I came back without a budge on the scale. I know I shouldn't look and I'm trying to think of how much better my insides are. I am fitting into some slacks I couldn't do before and my vital numbers are much improved.

My blood pressure is well back to normal. It turned out to be my thyroid meds. They needed to be lowered......yahoo . I attribute this, too, as a sign of "inside" improvement. I am still taking my calcium/mag and C.

If you get a chance to read SS book "...Eat,Cheat and Melt the Fat Away", please do as I would enjoy hearing your thoughts about it. I do like that SS allows for good carbs(I.e. fiber cereals, whole grains, etc.) as long as you don't combine them with any fat, hence the need for non-fat milk +/or non-fat plain yogurt. I think this would help with my "regularity" problem. Since I don't see any changes on the scales, it is hard for me to really judge which way or combo of ways are working for me. Getting a blood cholesterol test every few weeks isn't quite feasible.

One eating item that I don't seem to be able to figure out is my morning drink. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

Ingredients for Drink:
1 cup water
1 scoop whey protein powder( trace carbs)
3/4 cup frozen fruit
1-2 Tbs. Udo's Oil
1 Tbs. Udo's Green Food
1 packet Splenda( I noticed it has 22 grams carbs listed, so I
changed to a non-insulin raising real sweetner)

According to SS, this would be a no-no because I am mixing a protein with a fruit. According to SP, I think this would be fine. I don't know how else to get my Udo's Oil and Greens and still be able to drink it!

Thanks again......Carrot
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:04

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/181.5/140
BF:
Progress: 25%

Carrot, I am having the same problem: the scales are not budging! At least they haven't budged for the last two weeks.

I've been on the SP diet for 5 weeks now, and I have been *almost* perfect. I know Dr. S says not to do this sort of thing, but I'm a bit of an obsessive-compulsive, so I'm measuring everything and logging all of my food and exercise in at fitday.com. I know I'm getting about 1,000 calories less a day than I'm burning, so I should be losing about 2 pounds a week. But for the past two weeks, I'm up 1 pound!

I started a running program 2 weeks before the diet, and I lost 4 lbs. with just that. Then, for the first 3 weeks of the diet, I lost another 5.5 lbs. So I was pretty excited -- ready to hit the big 10 lb. mark. And then ---- nada.

I wish I could say the inches are disappearing, but I don't see any evidence of that, either. I haven't dropped a size or anything. I just got my period, so I'm hoping that some of this plateau may just be time-of-the-month water retention.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I hope someone says, "Oh, yes, it's the 3-5 week plateau -- you'll drop 5 lbs. next week to catch up!"
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:48
Registered Member

BF:

Perk,

I've been on SP since March 1 and have only seen a minor drop in weight. From what I understand, switching fat for muscle can give you a false assumption of no weight loss or a gain. I figure I'll just hang in there and eventually the weight has to start coming off...I hope?!? I am very happy with the other health improvements, but like most people......I would like to shop in the Ladies department, not the Big Women's department

How have any of your health readings been? Cholesterol, etc.?
Any improvements in your sleep, skin or moods? I no longer have a period, but have to deal with hormones(estrogen, progestrone and thyroid). Any time hormones fluctuate, insulins reaction do occur or so I read. Keep on your track.

As you have read in my previous posts, I just read Suzanne Somers' book. It had some clearly explained thoughts on some of your questions. I'm trying to figure out how best to incorporate her ways and Dr.S's principles.

I'm looking foward to reading Dr.S' new book next week. Maybe she has some clarifications on the questions we newbies all have.

Hang in there......and enjoy some of your nice cool weather for me.

Carrot
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 23:21

BF:

Hi Carrot,

I read some of the priciples abot SS on the SS forum here and I think it is probally fine. I myself have enough trouble with trying to keep up with what I am doing now. It is acomplex idea to plan and prep for. You have to remeber when you ate, what you ate, I'm lucky I remember to eat at all these days. You might want to read the Hellers book on carboholics. They have something called a reward meal at the end of the day. I did that program for a while and lost more weight there than here. Alas with out the support I find here I fell off the wagon. The end of the Atkins book I am reading talks about different plans and their value and consequence. It made me think I need to reread their stuff.

I don't have a breakfast drink, unless you count 32 oz. of water. I usually eat what would be dinner for most people for breakfast.

I am going to take a close look at the nutrients suggested by SP and the differences and or similarities to Atkins. I need a boost I think. Acoording to Atkins some of the weight stall can be helped with certain nutrients.
I have to feed lots of people now. I 'm at work. I'll be back later
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 23:56

Plan: schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 290/290/198 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

This has worked for me so far. Count me in.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 07:51

Stats: 195/181.5/140
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Carrot,

No new readings yet. I haven't noticed any changes, except one -- bad menstrual cramps. I think that's because I started eating meat again after 7 years as a vegetarian (during which time I had no cramps at all). I think I'm going back to a meatless diet. I tried meat because I felt like I was drowning in tofu to get all the protein!

Still no movement on the scales.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 08:54
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Everyone!

I haven't re-studied much on what supplements SP suggests, but I will. I've read more and more on the benefits of CLA.

Looking forward to the new SP book. It should be out today. Has anyone else found it , yet??

Perk, don't give up. One thing mentioned in SS book is the importance of hormonal balance. Have you talked with your doctor about amy other problems you may have (i.e. thyroid)?
I use to have severe menstrual cramping/bleeding, so can appreciate what you are going through. I don't know your age, but it would be a good idea for you to have a thorough hormone test via a saliva test.

Does anyone know about using Splenda ? Ok or not???? I noticed it lists on the package as 22 carbs...eeckl!!! I've resorted back to using a product called Sweet Balance . It is low glcemic and a natural sweetener. I thought about ordering SS sweetener, but it may be the same as Sweet Balance . Don't know.

Hey .....it's April Fool's day.....maybe the scales are just foolin' us!
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 23:29

BF:

I thought Splenda was not absorbed by thhe body. Therefore the carbs don't count. Any one have a different understanding?
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 09:22

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I do not use Splenda very often. I always thought that splenda would fall into the artificial sweetener catagory and not be a part of the Schwarzbein program for the health aspect.

I have the cup for cup kind and the little packets and the cup for cup kind says ~serving size 1 tsp. = less than 1 carb & the packet = the same/ingredients=dextrose,maltodextrin,& sucralose. Carrot, where does your box say 22 carbs, maybe mine is old?

I like Stevia ,sometimes use agave nectar, and use Splenda and fructose occasionally (I always figured these last 2 are forbidden on "TSP" from the health aspect ~ but I am only human) I still have lost using these, but try to make it a rarity.

I have used Sweet Balance and liked it, although I can only find it on the net and it is pricey and bothersome to me to order it and pay sh&handling charges. I believe it contains fructose which the Dr. seems to be against. I have seen a similar sweetener at my hf store called 'Slim Sweet' but it is pretty expensive too.

I hope her new bk. (Dr. S.) addresses sweeteners a bit more. I love her plan but would have to die and come back as another person to not *ever* desire another dessert for the rest of my life.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:50

Stats: 198/198/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Do any of you guys out there have a problem with (oh I hate to say it!) constipation? I can usually keep it "flowing smoothly" if I eat high fiber cereal for breakfast. So that definitely takes up my carbs for breakfast. I've been eating Kashi (I've not been so good about adding a non-starchy veggie to my breakfast, however!) which has worked great in the past. But the last two weeks nothing seems to help! I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 2 months ago and one of the symptoms was constipation. I have been on medication since then but I have to go back in about a week to see if the strength of the meds is working for me. Maybe it's not strong enough. Anyone with a similar problem?
I'm also probably eating too much meat and not enough of the non-starchy veggies. But I have lost about 5 lbs. since the end of February. And energy level is up and I'm in a better mood! So my husband says! So, something's working! I've also been a faithful Jazzerciser for over a year now. But I didn't lose any weight with it until I started SP.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Everyone...

Splenda....I must have had a nightmare about the 22 carb count. I can't seem to locate where I saw it, but I re-read the box, their web site and the LC web site on sweetners. They all said the same as you. 1 carb per packet. There is a lot of info within the pages of this LC site(Tips). I'm mostly confused, so I try not to use anything. I can't believe it's come to this........I'm actually craving a glass of iced tea with sweetner!! I broke down and made myself a decaf with 1 packet of Splenda....ahh...hmmm..the beast is calm for now!

The "C" word was mentioned. I, too, have similar problems and deal with hypothyroidism. I read many posts from the main LC page under TIPS concerning "C". They were very helpful and I went to the drugstore last night and purchased Benefiber. It's new on our market. I want to call the company and make sure it is not a habit forming product such as ExLax.

Called the bookstore, today. They suggested I call back the middle of April. Seems to be a delay in the publishing...drats!!

Talk later....Carrot
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Just found this on the LC web site:

"Sucralose (Splenda) is spun from regular sucrose sugar in such away that the body doesn't recognise it, so it is not absorbed. Thus it contributes no calories or carbohydrates in its pure form. It remains stable in heat, so is ideal for cooking and baking. Splenda is available for home use as a bulk sweetener, which measures spoon for spoon exactly the same as sugar. It is also available in a more concentrated form in convenient packets. However, these Splenda products also contain maltodextrin, which gives it the necessary bulk. Thus, it does contribute a small amount of calories and carbohydrate. Either form of Splenda, whether it's the bulk form in the box, or the little packets, will yield 0.5 carb grams per amount equivalent to 1 tsp (5 ml) of sucrose sugar. Just remember that the powder in the little packets is much more concentrated, so a smaller volume is needed to give the desired sweetness.

More and more commercial products made with Splenda are becoming available - especially beverages, soft drinks and iced teas, desserts, condiments and candies. Keep an eye on your grocer's shelves. Also visit our Shopping Page for some popular products available in Canada."

Interesting??
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 16:02

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Th big C

I'm not hypothyroid, but I was having a problem with constipation, especially around my period. I found that a 3-tablespoon serving of flaxseed is doing the trick for me. It's easy to fix, I found a recipe for it here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hlight=flaxseed

DoreenT gets the credit for the recipe.

I found that I like about 1/2 cup water, and I eat it with just butter. It makes just a little bit and at only 2 carbs, I can have my regular breakfast with no adjustment.

:-Deb
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

DebPenny,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think I'll try that or maybe order some of the FlaxMeal. Have you ever tried it?

I'm a bit low, today. I'm not going to jump off the wagon, but I'm discouraged. Today was my weigh in day.....no budging. I try and give myself the "pep talk", but right now...it ain't workin'. I'll be better tomorrow.

Thanks, again.

Carrot