Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 13:54

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

What's the saying I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late to dinner!
I have been keeping my carb count to 15 a meal and 6 for snacks. I usually have one snack a day. It is usually almonds 23 to be precise. This week I have not looked as closely as other weeks. I need to look at the count for horseradish a little closer.
Has any one tried the salad dressing recipes for SP? I have made the ranch and the blue cheese. They have a trace of carb in 1 tblsp. My weakness over the years has been salad dressing. I like the creammy ones. For years I had to give up what I liked about eating "healthy". No More! These 2 recipes are better than any bottle dressing I have ever had. Especially the Blue cheese.

Do you subtract the fiber from your Count?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

You're right about ..."don't call me late for dinner".. I was raised in the South and my Dad's motto was "Get what ya want, but eat what ya get". I'm afraid that is still a haunting motto that I try hard to overcome.

I have not tried any of the SP salad dressing recipes. I have found Paul Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing (1carb) to be quite good. I'm slowly learning hoq to analyze the ingredients, but they seem to be o.k..

I, too, enjoy an almond snack in the afternoon. Gets me easily through till supper. We did try the recipe for Pecan Chicken and it was great. Took a bit to perfect the cooking temp of oil so it wouldn't burn the pecans. I think we'll try same recipe, but cook it in the oven.

I have been keeping my carb count to 20 or under and the snacks at 15(I believe the almond count would be the 15). So far, so good.

I was on a low-fat life style for so long that I feel a bit quilty
when I started eating butter, eggs and cheese. The first results I noticed were no more indigestion and reduction in gas(I know Southern Ladies aren't to speak of such things, but heck...we've been set free!!)

How did you get intrioduced to SP?
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 03:05

BF:

My sister gave me a copy of her book to read. I don't think she is following it, but I really love it.

You know it is funny, but I feel guilty and have to stop myself and say hey, Enjoy It! I just did my first FITDAY entry. It amazes me that I am not eating enough, still. Today I ate steak and chicken and veges with butter and bacon & eggs, but still ate less than 2000 calories. I have to get my water consumption up. I had 50 grams of carb today, but 23 were fiber so I guess I did OK. I still get confused.

I am feeling so good it is scary most of the time. My period started yesterday so I'm feeling a little off today, (I believe drained might be the appropriate word here) but you are right, no gas, no indigestion, almost no PMS, I can't believe the difference no sugar has made. Istill get headaches, but I think that is my dairy allergy. It is too hard to do this program with out cheese. They are mild and infrequent. I'm trying not to take any medications at all and it is a test, because I used to live on ADVIL for every little ache and pain.

Time for bed. Good luck with the next recipe try. I want to try some of them, but I am rarely home to cook. Maybe Sunday.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:39
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Judy,

What is a FITDAY entry? I haven't been subtracting fiber from carbs, but other books do mention doing it.

I, too, suffer with headaches. They have decreased substantially, so I don't mind an occassional Excedrin.

I have had hypothyroidism for many years. My doctor just switched me over to Armour. I was concerned about Dr.S's mention of such and spoke to my doctor. She doesn't want me off my meds. Any problems with your thyroid?

Have a great weekend and remember to add some play-time with your work-time.

Carrot
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 15:57

BF:

Hi Carrot,
No thyroid problems. I am actually pretty healthy. A few aches and pains, but as I love to say I AM OLD. I'm almost 48. SP says the medications we take can interfere with with our insulin, and that causes further problems down the road. I'm trying not to automaticly reach for the tylenol or advil. The thyroid is a different can of worms. Follow you doctors advice,but have her monitor your progress and adjust the dosage if neccesary. Listen to your body and make the doctor listen to you.

Fitday is a website that calculates and analyzes your food intake for the day. Fitday.com I think. There are links to there from different places on this site. i found one by chance and clicked over.

Duty calls I'll check in later. Good Luck
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 18:49
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Judy,

Thanks for the web site. I'll check it out.

And by the way......you're not old! I'm right there with ya. Of course, when I go to the other room and forget why I went.....I must agree with your analysis!

My doctor is wonderful and works with me. I've been on natural hormones for years and it took me awhile to find a doctor who would listen to my "natural approach to healing" desire(or as natural as possible).

I noticed you live in Northern Ca...you lucky lady! I suffer the heat of Florida, but I do love the oceans. Watch the sunrise on one side and drive over to watch the sunset on the other!

Thanks again for the web site info.

P.S. Tonight, I'm trying the Cole Slaw recipe from SP cookbook.
Will let you know how it tastes.

Carrot
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 01:48

BF:

Oh I know I'm not old, but my favorite line is to tell everyone to "leave me alone I'm old." I usually get a laugh because I am not old, nor do I think old. Mature maybe but not old. On many occasions I must rewind so I can rember why I am in a particular place.

Florida huh! You must get some great seafood to munch on. I am 30 minutes from the ocean and I hardly ever get there. My work schedule is pretty grueling.

How was the cole slaw? I love cole slaw I hope it was good. What are you doing about exercise? I haven't really started a routine yet. I just ordered a treadmill and I can't wait to get it. I don't like to walk alone and my shedule doesn't permit a regular routine so I can walk with a partner, so I decided this was the way for me. Walking while reading a cheap and tawdry novel is in my future.
Take care
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:

Judy.

Make the 30 minute trip!! Yes, I do enjoy and get wonderful seafood. Headed to the Keys soon and will really be enjoying it!

I am limited with my choices for exercise due physical limitations, but I have a treadmill and enjoy using it.

I just posted a new thread concerning blood pressure. Let me ask you, too. I have never had bp problems, but my readings as of late have been rising (145/90). My cholesterol dropped 65 points (256 to 191) , blood sugar dropped (110 to 93) and weight dropped 6 pounds, but alas......my bp is up for the first time.

I am a bit concerned and do not what to change my new WOE or go on meds. Any thoughts?

Carrot :
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 12:44

BF:

I have not had BP problems before. It could an anomolie. I went to the doctor about 6 months ago having the worst day of my life emotionally. I don'r even remeber what was wrong now. My BP was 135 over 95. Foe me really high. It was the first and only time. The doctor must have thought I was insane. He loaded me up that day with BP med samples, zoloft sample, alergy samples, anti-biotics and nasal spray. Never touched most of the samples. My BP was fine the next day. I cried all that day and heave felt great ever since.(Nothing like a good cry to clear the mothballs) No anti- depressens for me. My point is : take your BP at home several times before you hit the panic button. Sometimes we spike just cause we're at the doctors office.

It's cold and rainy today. We are off to the new design center in town. It's my field trip for the day.

TTFN
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 16:20
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Judy,

Oh....to have a bit of your cold and wet weather right now! Summer has hit us with much too much force and way too early...eeck....I didn't want to have to crank up the air, but it is HOT.

Hope the Keys have a nice breeze. I won't be able to cool off with margaritas as in the past...boo...hoo.

Called my doctor this morning as my bp readings were rising. She suggested I try calcium/magnesium supplements and record my readings for the next few weeks. She may need to lower my thyroid meds, which would be hunky-dory with me.

I've been trying not to read any other lc methods as they seem to have some conflicting info with one another. Have you tried and/or read any others? What are your thoughts about using any of their recipes?

I noticed by your bio that you are surrounded by coffee...Has it been hard to limit your caffiene intake?

Don't work too hard and don't forget to play a little. If possible....
please e-mail some cold weather. Will be eagerly awaiting a cool breeze as I check my mail

Happy Monday....Carrot
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 21:10

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Calcium/Magnesium?

Hi, Carrot. Your doctor told you to take calcium/magnesium pills for your blood pressure? Did s/he say why?

I have recently started taking calcium magnesium for muscle cramps that I suddenly started suffering from. And I have recently (prior to starting LCing) started to have a problem with high blood pressure (borderline). And LCing hasn't seemed to help the way I thought it would.

So if the calcium/magnesium will help, more's the better.

;-Deb

#57   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 07:50
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Hi Deb,

She told me to start taking 1000mg of calcium and 500 mg of mag.
I found that dosage at my local health food store. 2 pills per day equal said dosage. I take one in the morning and one at dinner.

I may not be quoting her exactly, but she said it would relax the blood vessels which in turn should help fight the rise in my bp. I am to record my readings for 3-4 weeks. If my readings start to elevate more, I am to call her and we'll start lowering my thyroid meds. I started the cal/mag yesterday and I go today to check my bp. Will be glad to keep you up on what further things she
may say and do.

Did you have bp problems before going on the LC or SP WOE?
How much cal/mag are you taking, now?

I notice you are in California( one of my favorite states!) I love your wonderful fruits and veggies and weather! It's gonna be another HOT day here in Florida.

How did you get started on the SP?

Carrot
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
she said it would relax the blood vessels which in turn should help fight the rise in my bp

Well that seems logical since it is supposed to help with muscle cramps also.

To answer your questions:

1. I started having problems with my BP about 6 months ago, 4 months before starting LCing.

2. I'm taking the same dosage you are. And I have a personal BP reader that I am using to monitor mine.

3. The weather here in Sacramento has been a little nippy lately, but it's forcast to start warming up soon. We get hot (90's mostly with occassional 100s), but dry, summers and what I consider mild winters (seldom below 30 at night). I love living in northern California. It's beautiful and the "out of doors" is only a stone's throw away.

;-Deb

#59   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 11:56

BF:

Hi Carrot and Debbie,

Make sure you have some vitimin C when you take your Magneeseum and calcium. When you combine the three they help each other absorb into your system. I hope the Thyroid meds dissappear for you Carrot.

I am surrounded by coffee which is no problem for me, I can actually have decaf if I want. My drink of choice is Plain bubbly water, or reg water. The problem is the brownies and cookies we make fresh every day. (UKGIUTYE*^%%(*&O^YP(IUH) I have not succombed and I am finding it EASIER NOT TO EVERY DAY.

It has been cold here to I Live in San Jose annd we had snow on the hilltops this week. BRRRR!

I have read other LC methods. I am reading Atkins now! I figured it was time I went to the horses mouth so to speak. It is amazing the stuff that you are told about something. His ideas are very similar to SP as far as I can see. His start is severe, but after 2 weeks you seem to follow the same plan with a very few variations. The artificial sweetners being the biggest variant. I have not finnished the book yet. Don't be afraid to find out what other people think. The more info you have the easier it is to make an informed decision. We are responsible for ourselves and we know our bodies better than anyone. What works for one may not work for another. It seems to me with all I have read SP focus on health and is austere in her program. Some people need this kind of discipline to work for them. No deviations. Depending on your health when you start it may be a good answer. Atkins is just as strict with carbs and he sites all of the health bebefits that SP does.

It seems to me each one of the authers of these books on lo-carbing have the same basic philosophy. Each has a gimmick or hook to sell you a book or an idea. This is not bad, just business. I do not doubt the sincerety of any of them. It just is an example of how we make it work for ourselves. The trick is to find the plan you can live with. If you have severe health problems SP may be the answer. If you are an addict. Sugar Busters may be the answer. If you can't quit sugar or the sweet , Atkins is a kind of methadone for sugarholics I think. There seems to be no harm as long as you don't use real sugar. There are many paths and many anwers. Good Luck. I know I am always trying to figure it out for myself. It may be a combination of plans that will work for you in the long run. Me too.

Enough of my soap box.

Have a great day. Absorb some heat for me I'm cold.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 13:52

BF:
Default Another book to read

I just finished reading "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds" by Dana Carpender. She gives a good synopsis of some of the major programs, but not Schwarzbein because she wrote her book before Dr. S. did.

It's a good book to help you decide what you want to do. She talks about either following or devising the plan that works best for you and that, if the plan you're on doesn't work after a few weeks, try another one.

Myself, I really like the Schwarzbein Principle because it is austere without being boring. I am not adicted to sugar, I have always been able to take or leave it. In fact, I ate high carb because I believed the hype that it was healthy. So for me, giving up sweets and rice and potatoes and breads and pastries was actually rather easy.

What I did miss was gravies and sauces. And over rice was nice, but again, that was only for bulk. So I am slowly building a new recipe book of saucy, low-carb recipes. And so far, so good.

I have even been able to get recipes out of cookbooks I thought I would never be able to use again, like this weekend I got a recipe from my Cafe Beaujolais cookbook called Chicken Nut Stew. I modified it a little bit for my own taste, but it started out as basically low-carb anyway. It was soooooooo fun!

Dana actually recommends that you shop used bookstores and garage sales for the old non-low-fat cookbooks that you can't find anymore. My Cafe Beaujolais cookbook was written in 1978.

Well, enough rambling...

;-Deb