Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 205/197.5/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default induction

Hi , I just joined today I have been on induction for a week now and I was wondering if it was ok to eat sugar free jello? I was told pork rinds was allowed to , is this true also?
A friend of mine has been on this too the same amount of time I have , we have both eat the same thing almost but my friend has lost 12 pds and ive only lost 5.
Good Luck to every one!!

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:57
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

5 pounds in a week is great - don't be discouraged!

The aspartame in sf jello sometimes causes folks to stall.

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
A friend of mine has been on this too the same amount of time I have , we have both eat the same thing almost but my friend has lost 12 pds and ive only lost 5.

What was the starting weight of your friend? You can generally expect to lose 10% during induction as long as there are no health challenges or medications that inhibit fat loss.

That said, everyones loss is different. Comparing yourself to someone else will only lead to you being dissatisfied.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 14:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default my friends weight

#5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default tired

HI Karen,
Thanks for all the good advice I have read on here. I would also like to know why I feel so tired sometimes I can barely keep my eyes open. I wake up feeling good but about noon I really get sluggish and last thru out the day. Just curious about why im doing this, I started the atkins diet on 4-28.

Thanks ,
Jo
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 18:18

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:

I ate S/F Jello during Induction, as it really helped curb my need for sweets. I had no adverse reactions from eating it.

And I definately ate/eat pork rinds all the time...though some folks say it tends to makethem bloat a bit.

I think that I only lost about 8 pounds during Induction, and I weighed 426+ when I started. So don't lose the faith. I does work!

good luck!

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 05:35

Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Same here...

Jo, I have the same problem. We both started Induction on the same day and weigh about the same, so I'm interested in the answer! I usually feel great in the AM and start getting tired (may even have a very slight headache) in the afternoon but feel great again by evening. Don't quite understand all of this yet.

I don't know if there's any connection, but I drink my water much better in the AM and tend to slack off in the afternoon. If I don't watch it, I could drink ALL my water before lunch! I'm trying to space it out better. Maybe that will hold a key.

BTW...welcome! Best wishes to both of us!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default headaches

Hi Darlene,

Im so happy to find someone who started the same time I did, I hope we can be each others supporters.
Anyway, I did have headaches for about 3 days but they have subsided now , so give it a little time and maybe they will quit.
Let me know. Good luck!

Jo,
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 11:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/199/155
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default starving still at day 10

Hi
I am trying hard at this, with some minor cheating and I am constantly hungry still. I am wondering if I am afraid that I may eat too much. I haven't lost yet, but am PMS'ing so that is understandable.
My menu can look like this:
Break: 2 scrambled eggs/3 slices bacon
Lunch: ceasar salad about 2 cups/with a bit of bacon or chicken
Sweet fix: 1/2 cup strawberries/cream/nutrisweet (cheat I know)
Before Dinner: a bit more salad
Dinner: Some kind of meat (roast, chicken etc...)
Diet Jello
Drinking 2 cups coffee/day
Lots of water and some diet drinks

Do you think I can eat more and if so, can you give suggestions. Can I eat too many eggs? Love cheese but only melted. Can you suggest what I can melt it on? HELP!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default starving

Hi Kat,

I melt cheese on alot of things on my eggs with a teaspoon of picante sauce, I love cheese so I melt it on lots of things. Im hungry when im not doing anything. I don't think your not eating enough, in Dr. ATkins book it says eat until your full!
I snack on Pork rinds and sugar free jello with whipping cream. THis helps me out alot.
Hang in there and don't give up!!

Good Luck

Jo
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default whoops messed up

Kat,

what I meant to say is that I don't think your eating enough meat, and eggs, don't worry about eating to many eggs, you can have all you want. Devil eggs, scrambled eggs with cheese, etc etc. sometimes I buy a burger with cheese and when I get home I take the bread off and eat the meat and cheese .
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:27

BF:

THX FOR THE TIPS
I think that I have a really huge appetite, so maybe I will go for it and test this Atkins systems and really eat till I am full. And you are totally right about keeping busy. I am going in search of Pork Rinds right now. Thx again!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:55

Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Talking Hi, Again!

Yes, Jo, I think we could offer each other lots of encouragement! Do you have a FitDay account? It's called an 'account' but it's free and seems to be a great tool so far. I've been looking around for someone (or someones) that would be interested in a situation where we check each others FitDays on occasion to see where suggestions can be offered. Let me know what you think! I'd love some objective opinions!

Hi, Kat! Maybe you'd be interested too. I noticed bacon, Nutrisweet, strawberries, diet jello, coffee and diet drinks on your menu. Now I'm new to this, but I've read that NutriSweet can cause major problems and most diet sodas contain it, as does Sugar Free Jello (I'm talking about the Jello brand...don't know about the other brands). Bacon contains loads of sodium as well as nitrates, which can also cause problems like water retention. The caffeine in coffee does the same thing (I think), but decaf is OK. Also, strawberries are strictly forbidden from an Induction menu! All fruit is!

Sorry if I'm sticking my big toe where it doesn't belong! Like I said, I'm new here, too and have tons to learn. I really hope someone will help me get through all this. Best of luck!

See ya'll later...
Darlene
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 13:00
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

I think you make some good points, darlene but I beg to differ on the caffeine. The jury is still out on this one. I've read lots of things that say it will cause a stall and just as many that believe it works as a thermogenic to actually aid in weight loss. ???? As for me, I believe the second theory *puts her feet up on desk and takes long sip of java*.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 14:13

BF:

Hi all,
Thanks for the ideas. I am thinking that the coffee in terms of one or two cups a day, can't be all bad. I would think if you were the 6 or 7 a day type you would be in trouble. I do think that I need to watch the whole aspartame thing. I am going to switch to splenda. I was also wondering, why you have to do induction in the first place. What is wrong with starting at OWL if you are in no big hurry? Any thoughts on this anyone?