Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 04:37
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%
Default Whole fat milk vs low fat milk for kids: NYTimes summary 11/22/16

Regular Milk May Beat Low Fat for Kids

By NICHOLAS BAKALARNOV. 22, 2016

Low-fat milk may not be the best option for kids, though many experts recommend it to fight obesity for children over 2.

Canadian researchers collected height and weight data on 2,745 healthy children ages 1 to 6 years. They took blood samples, and their parents reported how much skim, 1 percent, 2 percent and whole milk the children drank.

After controlling for age, sex, outdoor play and other factors that affect both vitamin D levels and weight, they found that children who drank one cup of whole milk per day had a vitamin D level comparable to that of children who drank 2.9 cups of 1 percent milk, but their body mass index was lower by 0.79 points. The higher the fat content of the milk they drank, the lower the children’s B.M.I. and the higher their vitamin D levels. The study is in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Why this happens is unknown, but the senior author, Dr. Jonathon L. Maguire, an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Toronto, suggested that vitamin D is better absorbed with fat, and drinking low-fat milk may leave a child hungrier for more calorie-dense food.

“These two things together may make it a double whammy for low-fat milk,” he said. “But this is a small piece of the puzzle. We really need to do the research to answer these very basic questions.”
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 06:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Another article on this study ... link
Quote:
Do we have it backward on giving kids low fat milk instead of whole?

Whole milk consumption linked to leanness in early childhood, Canadian study finds

CBC News Posted: Nov 16, 2016 4:37 PM ET

Children who drank whole milk tended to be leaner than those who drank low fat or skim milk, a study by Toronto researchers has found.

The new findings, published in Wednesday's online issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggest a need to take a closer look at those guidelines, said study author Dr. Jonathon Maguire, a pediatrician at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto.

"If you don't get fat from someplace, then you take energy from somewhere else, and it may be that children who are receiving reduced fat milk seek foods that are higher in caloric density, and maybe that's why they're a bit bigger," Maguire said in an interview.

The reverse is also possible, as parents of children who are overweight may choose to provide them with low fat milk, he added.

Childhood obesity in North America has tripled in the past 30 years. Children's consumption of whole cow's milk has halved over the same period.

Current guidelines from Health Canada and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend two servings of low fat milk (one per cent or two per cent) milk for children over the age of two to reduce the risk of childhood obesity.

Maguire expects people to ask doctors and researchers for guidance on what kind of milk to give their children.

"It really amazes me today in 2016 that we don't know what the right answer is and that we need to find out."

The study's authors focused on 2,745 children, with an average age of almost three, who were recruited from primary health-care practices in the city. Heights and weights were measured and blood samples were taken to examine vitamin D levels.

The parents were surveyed on whether their child's diet was mainly skim, 1 per cent, 2 per cent or whole milk.

BMI scores

Children who drank whole (3.25 per cent fat content) milk had a Body Mass Index (BMI) score that was 0.72 units lower than those who drank 1 or 2 per cent milk.

The difference in BMI score is almost the difference in weight between an overweight and obese child, Maguire said.

Among the children in the study:
  • 49 per cent drank whole milk.
  • 35 per cent consumed 2 per cent milk.
  • 12 per cent drank 1 per cent milk.
  • 4 per cent consumed skim milk (0.1 per cent fat).
For the 122 children who consumed more than one type of milk, researchers averaged the milk fat per cent.

The researchers didn't study why consuming higher fat milk was associated with leaner children.

Vitamin D implications

Another aspect of the research focused on milk fat intake and vitamin D levels. The vitamin helps strengthen our bones and may play a role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases later in life.

The researchers found that roughly one cup of whole milk had the same effect on children's vitamin D levels as three cups of 1 per cent milk.

Since both vitamin D status and fat are important for a child's growth and development, the study's authors said the findings could have implications for maintaining health at a population level.

But no cause-and-effect relationships can be drawn from the data.

"The choice of milk fat content that parents choose to provide their children is really a personal choice," Maguire said.

'Not the greatest idea'

Dr. Daniel Flanders is a pediatrician in Toronto who wasn't involved in the study. He usually give parents a range of options on buying milk and suggests they choose what's convenient for the family.

"May be it's not the greatest idea to put two-year-olds on skim milk," Flanders said. "We still don't know the answer, but this another step in the direction of making our recommendations more evidence-based."

Canada's Food Guide currently recommends two servings of milk or alternatives each day for children aged two to eight.

Health Canada is currently in the process of reviewing and seeking input to update the food guide. The public consultations end Dec. 8.

Funding of the Target Kids research network was provided by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the St. Michael's Hospital Foundation.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 06:33
Forum Founder

BF:
Default study abstract

journal link

Quote:
Relation between milk-fat percentage, vitamin D, and BMI score in early childhood

Abstract

Background: Fortified cow milk is a material contributor of vitamin D and dietary fat in children. Recommendations for children >2 y of age advise reduced milk-fat consumption to reduce childhood obesity, yet the relation between lower milk fat, vitamin D stores, and body mass index (BMI) is unclear.

Objectives: The primary objective was to explore the association between milk-fat percentage and both BMI z score (zBMI) and venous 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D]; the secondary objective was to assess whether milk volume consumed modified this relation.

Design: This was a cross-sectional analysis. Healthy urban children aged 12–72 mo were recruited from 9 primary health care practices within The Applied Research Group for Kids (TARGet Kids!) research group in Toronto, Canada. We used adjusted bivariate linear regression to examine the relation between milk-fat percentage and child 25(OH)D and zBMI concurrently. Effect modification by milk volume consumed on the evaluated relations was explored with the use of an interaction term in the statistical model.

Results: Among the 2745 included children there was a positive association between milk-fat percentage and 25(OH)D (P = 0.006) and a negative association between milk-fat percentage and zBMI (P < 0.0001). Participants who drank whole milk had a 5.4-nmol/L (95% CI: 4.32, 6.54) higher median 25(OH)D concentration and a 0.72 lower (95% CI: 0.68, 0.76) zBMI score than children who drank 1% milk. Milk volume consumed modified the effect of milk-fat percentage on 25(OH)D (P = 0.003) but not on zBMI (P = 0.77).

Conclusions: Whole milk consumption among healthy young children was associated with higher vitamin D stores and lower BMI. Longitudinal and interventional studies are needed to confirm these findings. TARGet Kids! was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01869530.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-16, 07:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love the language they use; trying to make this sound like some sort of mystery, as opposed to, "we got it wrong three generations ago."

I also love how, in so many of these studies, they insist that further research is necessary. They didn't need 'further research' when they adopted the idea of "low-fat/high-carb for all" in the first place.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-16, 13:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What? You mean fat doesn't make people fat? Heresy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-16, 05:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I begged my DD to give my grandkids whole milk- I bought it for them on our last visit this summer and she switched after noticing the kids seemed more satisfied after the whole milk. This study is helping- and I hope the tide for giving kids skim or lowfat milk turns.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 09:38
Forum Founder

BF:

This is very interesting ..
Quote:
The researchers found that roughly one cup of whole milk had the same effect on children's vitamin D levels as three cups of 1 per cent milk.
I checked the CFIA guidelines (Canada's food regulator) regarding vitamin D fortification in milk. Lo and behold, the exact same amount is added to all milk products, regardless of the fat content. Yet the children drinking full fat milk absorbed 3x as much vitamin D as the lowfat group. Hmmm. Do you suppose the fat content has something to do with that?

So what do the researchers say in response?
Quote:
But no cause-and-effect relationships can be drawn from the data.

head --> desk
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 11:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

These "researchers" sound like fat phobic morons. It is well known that VitD is soluble in fat and that gel caps are more effective than pills for humans. Even my veterinarian gives me VitD building blocks compounded in oil for my 20.8 yr old cat.

The other problem with 3 cups of low fat compared to 1 cup of whole milk is they get >5X the "milk solids" - the casein & whey obesogens that many find inflammatory.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 11:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

I love the language they use; trying to make this sound like some sort of mystery, as opposed to, "we got it wrong three generations ago."

Human brain rationalization in action. If only they used that bandwidth to actually do science!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 15:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
I begged my DD to give my grandkids whole milk- I bought it for them on our last visit this summer and she switched after noticing the kids seemed more satisfied after the whole milk. This study is helping- and I hope the tide for giving kids skim or lowfat milk turns.
My son and DiL have always given my grandkids whole milk, even to the point where if they were eating in public, and the kids ordered milk and got low-fat milk, my son would ask for some half-and-half coffee creamers to add to the milk! They buy organic milk at the Publix supermarket and the different "types" of milk have different colored packaging - the whole milk is red, the 2% is green?, the 1% is purple?, the skim is blue.

But if my oldest grandson is shopping with me he selects the red whole milk bottles as the "healthy" milk, and declares that "the blue and the green and purple milk are bad".

But I have also sometimes seem labels on the milk for items that can be purchased with food stamps, labeling their value. I was at first happy when I saw the whole milk was labeled "good" but then bummed that the 1% and 2% were labelled "better" and the skim milk was labeled "best"!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 16:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Maybe processed cow milk is not right thing to feed kids either - who knows. I do know this; that I saw this poster in a K-12 school in N. Michigan a few weeks ago promoting low fat milk, Natures Sports Drink!

#12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 16:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

One of my BFF does marathons and says that's what she and other runners drink after a race....
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 20:40

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Wow, nature's sports drink? From a cow that produces naturally chocolate sugary milk? Pretty neat trick! Okay, actually they do drink it. Has a similar sugar content to commercial sports drinks for those who desire that ingredient plus protein for muscle recovery in a lower cost probably less unhealthy product than the specialty protein-added sports drinks. I've been glad to hear more and more about athletes who successfully train their bodies to run on fat rather than the old advice to carb up, run on sugar and then need all that chocolate milk/goo packets/sports drinks to try to keep from bonking/hitting the wall/running out of glucose during their race.

Last edited by Zei : Tue, Jan-03-17 at 20:55.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 21:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I agree Zei and I've been trying to help my friend because she is a serious sugar addict. She eats cake for breakfast and dessert for lunch, very little protein. I even gave her an Atkins book without pressuring her just asked her to read it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 21:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Information from Volek and Phinney's book "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance" (if I have the title right) might be of interest if she's a serious athlete, from what I've heard (haven't read it myself).