Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 02:38

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default longer distance running

Hey everyone,
We'll I've slowly increased the distance of my runs and I'm now running 3-4 miles per day. I've been on Atkins since late January of this year and I've been doing great. The first month or so I did NO whatsoever exercise and I lost VERY slowly..started up running again and it started to come off! My question is this. I eat induction level carbs and have been since January. I love this way of eating and I havent bored myself from not having variety or anything like that. I eat good and dont feel a need to change much but I'm starting to run more and more and I guess it starts to worry me. I feel fine, I have the energy but I'm worrying myself over the fact I'm doing something wrong or bad because I'm not eating any more carbs than I am and at the same time running 20 miles per week. I dont really keep up with this exercise forum as much as the Atkins section, but I plan to start visiting here more. I found a post once on a runner who kept this really wonderful journal with wonderful tips for low carb runners. Do any of you guys know of any names who could give me some advice or maybe you could give me a tip or two? I really dont want to increase my carbs because I'm losing so great right now and have the energy to run, whats the need to increase them?...ya know what I'm saying. UNLESS...I really am doing something wrong. The only complaints I'm having now is really bad post-calf cramps. I dont know if this has anything to do with my diet...or maybe its just the fact that running in general is hard on your knees etc and I'm probably just feeling it? (maybe I'm not stretching properly) Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just wanted to find some of you low carb runners out there just to know yall are there...it makes me feel better! hehe =)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 04:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/142/120
BF:22%
Progress: 8%

I think they may have been Climbergrl and JKMOM.

But I have an additional question that hopefully you (and others) can answer - I've searched the forums on this but have not found a clear answer - does anyone know of anyone who was able to jog 4-6 miles a day (10-12 minute mile pace) on atkins induction level carbs (20-30)??>
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 06:20

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Yes, last summer I did about 6.5-7 miles on induction level carbs about 4 times a week. It can be done. It will be exhausting at first until your body is used to utilizing protein/fat for energy.

Serre
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 06:35

Stats: 144/142/120
BF:22%
Progress: 8%

That is SO encouraging!! Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure this is a YMMV question, but how long did it take you to get used to it?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 07:54

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

It took me about a month or two to get used to it. Very slow I know, but in time your body will get more efficient at burning fat for energy. The cool thing I noticed was that the first 20-30 mins or so of running was HARD... I was tired and exhausted... but after that point, I felt the endurance kicking in and I felt fine. I heard that fat is good at helping you with endurance. Just take it slow at first and build up. I did about 6.5 mph. Nice, slow, and steady

Serre
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 09:10

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the LC runners' world:-)))

Oh, running can be a wonderful metabolism booster. I started to "run" (actually walk/jog) last January, at 46 year old (the age of slowing metablism), and lost 35 lbs very fast. Regarding the fat fuel mode vs carb fuel mode. The secret is: PATIENCE. Your body needs weeks/months to adjust to the new fuel. You can help it by running SLOWLY. (If you are running too fast - in your anerobic zone - your body needs glycogen. A heart rate monitor can help a lot:-)))
When your body already adjusted to the fat fuel, you will feel SO ENERGIZED. Energized even to run a marathon. (With climbrgrl we have just finished our first marathon on June 6th .)

Regarding cramps. Low potassium level, dehydration the leading cause. OR the lack of rest days. Your legs need 1-2 rest day every week. (One day when you rest your legs, and one day when you cross train.)

I would recommend two wonderful books about LC running: Jeff Galloway's Book on Running, and Stu Mittleman: Slow Burn.
Both gives detailed step by step advices how to train your body to run on fat.

Eva
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 09:50

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

I've run at induction level carbs for an average of 8-10 miles a day, 6 days a week. It takes some getting used to but since you have been running some, you should be able to increase your mileage without ill effects. Just remember not to increase your mileage more than 10% a week. So maybe just one or two days a week you could add a amile or 2 to your run.
In the beginning, when I was feeling really wiped out, but still wanted to run I would experiment with some carby type snacks prior to my run, similar to a TKD type of diet. I would have a banana, or a power gel or straight up sugary candy or even soem chocolate and it would help me with my run, (or at least make me feel guilty enough that I would force myslef to complete my run!)
I get the calf cramping sometimes when I haven't been drinking enough water. Also, I've noticed that if I don't take some type of sodium in with the water, or electrolytes, then I get cramps at night when I sleep. Man, those are PAINFUL!!! I ususally have pain in that leg for like 3 days afterwards. I founda great electrolyte mix called "Electro-Mix" made by Alacer corp. no sugar, but plenty of electrolytes to help your body take in that water properly without flushign out all of your potassium.
In my marathon training I found it essential to take in energy gels on my 18+mile runs. When you are running that far you could care less about food having carbs, you jsut want to be able to finish with as little pain as possible.