Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:01
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just received this reply from Stevita:

Quote:
-----Original Message-----

Can you tell me if your liquid stevia goes through a bleaching process?

Can you also tell me why you use erythritol, a sugar alcohol in your stevia blends?

Wanda
No, we do not do any bleaching in our extraction process. Also, we do not reconstitute our liquid stevia, that is, we bottle the filtered syrup before we dry it.
Yes, we use erythritol, as a bulking agent in our blends. No preservatives are used.

Thanks for your interest in our stevia products.

Oscar Rodes
sales~stevitastevia.com

They didn't answer my question about the sugar alcohols. Avoidance maybe?

Anyway, I dug through my stevia cookbook and there is great information about the processing of stevia. I'll type it out when I get a minute.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:11
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I promised this information about stevia. It's from James Kirkland's Sugar-Free Cooking with Stevia. It's a great book if you can get your hands on it. This is their website: http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/

Anyway, here's the info. My conclusion after reading it is that good-tasting stevia is very refined and I'm not really sure why Dr. S. even allows it. For it to be unrefined, you give up taste. Not sure what I'll do with this info. It kinda sucks and I'm not sure I want to think about it right now.

Stevia Steviosides (commonly called White Stevia Powder, or Pure Stevioside Extract)
Steviosides, a group of sweet tasting molecules (glycosides), give the stevia herb its amazing sweetness. With a taste up to 300 times Sweeter than sugar, Steviosides have no fat, no calories, no processed sugars and no carbohydrates. Actually, researchers have identified eight sweet glycosides within the leaves of the stevia plant, but the three best tasting are Stevioside (the most abundant glycoside), Rebaudioside A and Rebaudioside B. Since Rebaudiosides A, B and five other sweet molecules occur in such small amounts, they are grouped together under the singular term 'stevioside' for convenience.
Pure Stevioside extract can range in color from creamy off-white with a hint of green to stark paper white. Its taste can vary from bitter, licorice, or saccharine-like to that of super-sweet powdered sugar. The Japanese have been using pure stevioside since the I970s, and this natural extract constitutes more than 41 percent of Japan's commercial sweetener market. Pure Stevioside extract also provides the base for several stevia products, including liquid stevia extract, spoonable stevia/stevia blends, and quick-dissolving stevia tablets.

Stevioside Quality
The quality of any stevia product depends on the actual amount of steviosides it contains, the percentage of rebaudiosides, the cultivation and extraction methods, and whether or not any questionable additives were present at any time during growing, harvesting or processing.

Amount of steviosides
The quality of the stevioside extract that you purchase is based predominantly on the amount of steviosides it contains. Some 'pure stevioside extracts' contain about 70% steviosides. The other 30% is made up of undesirable plant components. This 30% can give the extract a strong licorice, bitter, or an unpleasant aftertaste. Generally speaking, a stevioside percentage of at least 85% should yield good flavor with minimal bitterness.

Percentage of Rebaudiosides
The other sweet glycosides can also help improve the taste of a stevioside extract. In the world of stevia extracts, Rebaudioside A and B are the gold at the end of the rainbow. These glycosides have incredible sweetness with no bitterness, no licorice taste, and no unpleasant aftertaste. Unfortunately, rebaudiosides make up just a scant 3% of the stevia plant. In Japan, where stevia technology is the most advanced, extracts with a high concentration of rebaudiosides are common. I once received samples of a Japanese stevioside, which was almost entirely rebaudiosides -Wow! It tasted just like 300x sweet powdered sugar. Unfortunately, the Japanese consume as much stevioside extract as they produce, making it impossible to currently purchase this purity in the United States.

As a consumer, you can ask manufacturers what percentage of rebaudiosides their products contain; anything over 20% is good. The highest percentage I've located in the U.S. is 30% rebaudiosides. If the manufacturer doesn't know the percentage, or worse, doesn't know what rebaudiosides are, find another source.

Cultivation
Although stevia grows wild, the most potent hybrids are cultivated on farms throughout the world. Rich in steviosides and rebaudiosides, these plants can vary in stevioside content from 5 to 18%. Several companies also use organic farming techniques for added peace of mind.

Extraction Methods
There exist various methods of processing steviosides and dozens of technical patents describing how to extract steviosides from the plant. The most common methods use alcohol, chemical solvents, gases or water to separate the desirable steviosides from the unwanted plant material. Most often a combination of several methods is used. Water extraction techniques generally create a better tasting product.
After or during the extraction process, some companies decolorize, or bleach, the stevioside. This is an unnecessary step done to give the appearance of white sugar or artificial sweeteners. Natural stevioside should be creamy beige with just a hint of its original green.

Questionable Additives
As a stevia industry consultant, I constantly receive stevioside samples from around the world. Unfortunately, I occasionally receive samples from China and Korea with artificial sweeteners listed as ingredients, or worse, not listed but included in the product, which I discovered only after having the sample analyzed in a lab. Combining steviosides and artificial sweeteners not only hides the bitter taste of low quality stevioside, but also makes the product cheaper to produce, increasing the profit margin.

In addition to artificial sweeteners, other undesirable residues may also be present. For example, in 1 1999, the FDA confiscated over 8 shipments of "white" Stevia extract powder coming into the USA from Asia because they were found to be impure. In 1995 only four major companies sold powdered stevioside extract. Today dozens of companies are trying to get onto the stevia bandwagon -especially 'mom & pop' outfits that buy low-grade stevioside then repackage and sell it from their homes. They may knowingly or unknowingly be selling adulterated stevioside. To avoid these rip-offs, purchase stevia only from reputable companies with a history of dealing with the herb. If you aren't sure, ask for a certificate of analysis.

Product Descriptions of Stevioside Based Extracts
Clear Liquid Stevia Extract
When stevia users complained about the bitter, licorice taste of the whole leaf syrup extracts, the suppliers started making liquid extracts or liquid solutions with stevioside. Dissolving the pure stevioside into water creates a product that is sweet, concentrated, attractive and pleasant tasting. This is also extremely profitable to manufacture. You can make your own clear liquid extract for a fraction of the cost.

The quality of clear liquid stevia extract depends on two factors:
I) The quality of the stevioside used to make the extract.
2) The type of preservative used, such as alcohol, chrysanthemum flower, or grapefruit seed extract. Check labels to ensure it doesn't contain a preservative you might not want.

Stevia Blends ('Spoonable Stevia')
Stevia blends combine pure stevioside extract with a filler to make an easy-to-measure great tasting powder. These blends are by far the most versatile and easy-to-use form of stevia available.

Using fillers to tone down sweetness isn't a new idea. When consumers first used Saccharin, they complained that it was far too sweet, so the manufacturers blended saccharin with a non-nutritive filler such as Maltodextrin to make their sweetener easier for users to measure. Some stevia companies have followed this example, taking a product 300 times sweeter than sugar and creating one only four times sweeter than sugar (a 4: I stevia blend to sugar ratio). Although not a formal industry standard, it is the most popular ratio.
Stevia blends will mainstream stevia as a sweetener for the future because of its wonderful flavor and ease of use.

Types of Fillers used in Stevia Blends or 'Spoonable Stevia'
The following fillers add ease-of-use with minimal caloric impact. Currently, the most common fillers used for stevia blends are maltodextrin and F.O.S.

Dextrose is a common processing agent derived from corn sugar. It keeps other components from clumping.

Lactose is derived from milk; it has a slightly sweet taste and dissolves instantly, even in ice water. People with milk intolerance might want to avoid products with lactose as a filler.

Maltodextrin is a non-sweet complex carbohydrate that is virtually tasteless. Maltodextrin can be derived from corn, rice, tapioca, or other starches.

F.O.S. is the common term for the Fructo-oligosaccharides. F.O.S. are sugars found in a variety of common foods, like bananas, garlic, and wheat. Although mildly sweet tasting, F.O.S. has a very low glycemic index. F.O.S. also promote the growth of some beneficial internal bacteria such as Acidophilus, Bifidus and Faecium. F.O.S. are not toxic. However, some people do not tolerate F.O.S. well. These people may experience gas, bloating, or nausea from the use of F.O.S.

Erythritol - Although relatively new in the USA, erythritol has been the stevia filler of choice in Japan for years. This white granulated powder is derived from natural grains and fruits. It has virtually no calories and a very low glycemic index. Erythritol has the appearance and texture of white table sugar. Best of all, when combined with a high quality stevioside the resulting stevia blend dissolves quickly and tastes almost like sugar. In addition to its great taste, erythritol is easily digested, promotes healthy teeth, and is safe for diabetics. (Erythritol is also used commercially to add texture to sugar-free foods.)

Stevia Packets
Stevia packets normally contain the same ingredients as stevia blends, except in convenient, pre-measured servings. Although convenient when on the go, they are generally more expensive than stevia blends in bulk form.

Stevia Quick Dissolving Tablets
These tablets are rather new on the market. They normally contain stevioside along with other ingredients, and are mainly used to sweeten beverages. Some, however, may only dissolve in hot liquids.

Quick Tips for Purchasing High Quality Stevioside Products:
For best quality, when purchasing a product with pure steviosides, insist on:

1.A high percentage of steviosides, at least 90%
2.A high percentage of rebaudiosides, at least 20%
3.Unbleached, naturally water processed stevioside
4.Organic for added peace of mind
5.Buying from a reputable company