Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 04:05

Plan: Atkins-High Pro
Stats: 76/75/71
BF:no idea
Progress: 20%
Unhappy I dont have much to eat in india

Hi.

I started a LC in July. Now i see some differences in my body.
I dont have much choices in eating. Potatoes, carrots is all i get to see around me.

I am eating cauli flowers, cuccumber, beans, oat, wheat chapathis and eggs. thas all i get to see of low carb food.

Mushrooms help at times. Not much fruits are at our rescue. Any suggestion on fruits might help me....i dont get hold of plums or cherries often.

I dont take milk. I turned down potatoes, carrots, beet roots, and any roots as such. Is this all okay with the low carb eating habit?

If some one can help it wud be great

thanks,
Baajhan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 20:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi baajhan!

What are you eating for protein? And for vegetables, what about eggplant, okra, spinach, fenugreek leaves, tomatoes...

Whole grains and beans are allowed on certain plans, but all the plans include protein with each meal.

Do you have access to a library? Here is the link to the Atkins web page. Which will give you lots of information on how low-carbing works and what you can and can't eat.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 00:28

well how about cauli flowers? can i eat them? what about wheat? - rotis? can i have rotis say 3 or 4 rotis. with soe side dish?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 03:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

If you go to the Atkins link there is a page that lists the foods that you are allowed to eat on Atkins, and instructions on how to follow the plan. Other low carb plans allow different foods. We here all strongly suggest that if you are going to start eating LC, you NEeD to find out information about the particular plan you would like to follow. You can do that by buying the book for the plan, checking it out from the library, or visiting the website for the plan. There is a list of plans in the links at the far right side of this screen.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 04:50

thanks ppl.... but you see im a VEGETARIAN ..... so many of these foods around here are non-veg stuff. like pork, ham, chicken, fish etc,, etc,, all these i cannot eat.

What do i do?///// wat about bread how much of it can i eat.. how many times? how much work out shud i do ito see a reduced tummy...?

baajhan
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 06:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

There's a vegetarian forum here at the low carb site that you might want to visit to get some tips and help. Here is the link
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...?forumid=109&s=

It looks like your challenge will be having a different variety of vegetables available to you since your local and imported vegetables may be different than those here in North America.

As far as bread goes, that depends on the plan you choose. I'd like to once more suggest that you read the reviews of the various plans in the links at the right side. While you may not be able to eat the foods suggested, you will gain valuable information about the basics, fundamentals and techniques for the plans. You cannot do low carbing properly without understanding the concepts of Low Carbing. If you don't understand the basics, and get an understanding for how your body works, and how different food groups affect your body, you will have a difficult journey, especially when you try to incorporate the foods that are available in your region.

As far as reducing your tummy goes, no diet or exercise can target a specific part of your body. We lose fat all over. The fat from your tummy will reduce in time. A good overall exercise program will help. It should include abdominal exercises like crunches and leg lifts.

Good luck. It looks like you have some unique challenges.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 06:33

Cool

I completely understan this Angela. thanks for the responses either. I guess you have a very very knowledgable community and commercial outlets around. makes life easier fer ya.

But here i have to hunt fer mine. Every day food becomes a challenge. Im trying to understand every detail only now. Mostly its only the count of carboio in grams and the vegetables and fruits in the same order.

Some times cracings put me off... but i see my clothes getting looser makes it up all... my wait line is 34CM and im tryin to put it down to 29/30.. when i achieve that i will understand and VOTE fer LCing... lol

So how do you daily do ya breakfast and lunch and dinner.... jsut a tipsake... mam.

baajhan
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 07:43

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Seems to me that Atkins is not the method for you. It relies too heavily on dairy products and meat, two things which you have said you avoid.

However there are other more appropriate low carbing methods that would work. As Angela suggested look around and get informed.

In the meantime I would suggest keeping away from root vegetables as you already stated, staying from anything refined (like white flour and sugar) and replacing the items by whole wheat version. I think rotis are whole wheat sometimes, as are chapatis. Basmati is the least glycemic of all the real rices. Whole-wheat basmati would be even better. I would still keep an eye on portions. Dals are ok since they are usually pretty low on the glycemic scale.

Edit : Found a good site for info .. check out
http://immuneweb.org/lowcarb/

Last edited by Angeline : Wed, Sep-18-02 at 08:17.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 02:56

Talking

hi, Angeline ,

that was a bit surprizing and an eye-opener that basmathi is low in glyc. I never believed so, well now that i know im adding that to the list of food i have either. thanks a million.

Usually a cup - say 300 grams of cooked rice is how much of carb? - ??? in grams. how much of it can v have in a day? once? is that okay? -?

Eggs - arent they fatty stuff - but most links say - egg can b taken so im taking eggs either... i read a lot about this in locarbliving and a few other canadian sites and http://www.about.com,

The about watery-vegetables ... like cucumber, radish, ladies finger, eggplant, onions, tomatoes, ...... i believe are low in carb right?
if any one of these arent then please suggest.

AAAAAAAaaHHhhh.. that you link sent... Ooopz looks like its made fer me... there are ppl who undergo the same everywhere.... well about.. sea food.... i dont think i wud stick to that.... there are more to explore tehn... here in vegan

wat else do i eat... hmm burgers... sometimes i eat them... fer lunch and also sandwiches,,,,, Ooopz i 4got.. i always take ------------------------- MUSHROOMS--------------------- They are saviors some times.... uh ,,, most times.... mushroom sandwiches - toasted / grilled .. how about that???

okay guys.... catchya soon..... tellem ur stories?

-- baajhan
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 08:02

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Basmati has 23g of carbs per 100 g of rice with a glycemic index of 50, which is the lowest of all the true rices. So there is still lots of carbs, just that it doesn't spike your insuline *quite* as bad as let's say short grain rice. It's still quite carby though. Not something to eat with total freedom.

From the gist of your text, it's clear to me you are only going on little bits of information gathered left and right on the web mixed in with some conventional wisdom (i.e. eggs are fattening) that is much less wise than we once were led to believe. This is fine as supplementary information but you really really need the WHOLE picture. As Angela has said, it's CRITICAL you buy at least ONE low carb book so you understand what low carbing is all about. Otherwise you cannot be as succesful as you can be.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/ lists the most popular lowcarb plans and you can pick the one that you think would work for you. I wouldn't suggest Atkins, as it's the most restrictive of all the lowcarb plans and might not be possible for a vegetarian who won't eat meat nor seafood nor milk. There are lots of other good plans that offer good results but are more suited to a vegetarian. I am sure that once you pick a plan you could order the book online with no problems.

Good luck !!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 00:17

Unhappy

Yeah true... i have not read any book ...so far.. but after reading thru your reply.. i guess i made up my mind.. shelling some dough on getting the right book. But now its time to decide.. which book to go fer now.. before taht i hv to read a lot online i suppose.

[COLOR=darkblue] Choosing a general low-carb diet book - is that okay? .. and that too i hv to choose a book on veg-diet. [/COLOR

understanding is power i agree... i believe in that either.... only then i can get used to picking up food like - second nature.... !

Baajhan ]
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 00:47

Lightbulb How about ----- OAT ------

Hi,

Guys i wanted to ask - how about oats.. what are the different stuff that we can do with - OAT

Can some one please reply....
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 11:59

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default possible ideas?

Hi,

I am not from India but I do enjoy Indian food - at least the kind they serve here, although that may be different from what you normally eat, who knows. You could probably eat paneer cheese with something such as saag paneer or nuts are okay too, just not too much. Chapitas may be not too bad since they are made with lentils? Roasted eggplant may be good too.

Good luck!