Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 17:05

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default P90x

Just curious if anyone is doing P90X and how they like it. I am considering purchasing but would love some unbiased feedback before I do.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: LC & Pregnant :)
Stats: 283/205/120 Female 4'11"
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!
Progress: 48%

Hi, awaldron...ran across your post today and though I'd chime in.

I also considered the P90X plan recently and went to a friend who had purchased the product to see what results they had seen, how they liked it, etc. I did NOT purchase it after reading through all of the material that came with it and trying a few workouts with them. It just wasn't what I was looking for. They, on the other hand, seemed to be very into it. It is quite diverse, has several different exercises/routines, lots of repetition and my friends who were doing it did see some results. Their main complaints were that it did take A LOT of time each day to fulfill your daily exercise commitment, you have to follow a very detailed plan (and that wasn't their style), you have to have somewhere to actually (temporarily) install a chin-up bar and that there isn't really much cardio impact...LOTS of strength and endurance training, but nothing that kept the heart rate up. Also, if you follow the actual P90X Plan, there is a menu planner, protein drink mix and bars that are to be eaten after workouts, supplements to take and some stipulations about the times of day that you exercise/eat. I don't know anything about the carb count in the shakes/bars, only that my friends didn't care for the taste.

And to make an already too long story a bit shorter, they bought it (and it wasn't cheap), tried it, got tired of it and are now using the chin-up bar as a clothes rack! Truly, it was very hardcore and if that's what you're looking for and you have plenty of time to devote to it, you may have found a winner. While they were faithful to it, they did see some results...inches, not pounds. Hope that my secondhand report doesn't muddle your decision even more! Much luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 09:48

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I have heard it's fantastic and extremely effective, but very time consuming.

Do not be fooled by the lack of low & slow "cardio" grinding. Your heart will never be stronger than it will be on P90x.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/210 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just to chime in. I started this about 3 weeks ago. I havent been able to make it through a whole week yet with all the excersises but I do see great progress. I feel stronger and see muscles and veins I havent seen since high school. It does take about and hour each day but I look forward to it daily now. One day I hope to be able to do the workout fully through every day!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 06:56

BF:

Thanks, Frooggy. I still haven't purchased it, but I am really leaning towards it. I would really benefit from something structured like that. I'll let you know if I get it, and, please, update us on your progress!

--Andie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 08:52

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

I considered 90X as well but I took their advice about making sure you were ready very seriously. I looked at the pre-qualifying fitness test and knew that I had some prep work to do before I would be able to get the most out of P90X, so I decided to start with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and a couple of other weight training workouts. If/when I get bored or feel like I'm plateauing with those things, I'll reconsider P90X. I don't want to end up with a chinup clothes rack!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 11:18

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I re-started the regular Power 90 (not P90x) workout a couple days ago. It seems that the P90X is for people who are already used to aerobic activity. The Power 90 however, (I suppose it's a precursor for P90X), seems to start out simpler and less intense than the P90X series. For me, it's the perfect place to start because the first phase, allows you to do things a bit slower with some easier activities (although I have to get used to some of them to do them).

After doing it a couple days, i'm sore and am hopefull that I get some good results.

So if you are just getting into excercising, you may want to start with Power 90 first.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 08:36

BF:

Is the power 90 a different set of DVDs? Also, I have heard great things about the shred DVDs and was thinking of them as a precursor. I am fairly active with running, ellipitcals, some lifting, etc., but I know folks in better shape than me who said P90x killed them. That's why I was thinking of doing shred first.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:20

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

Power 90 is a different program than P90X, but it's made by the same company and uses the same trainer. The Shred video is made up of 3 short but very intense workouts. It's only about $8 on Amazon, so if you order it and don't like it, it's not like you wasted a ton of money. I actually ordered Jillian's No More Trouble Zones video (also $8) at the same time, but I haven't watched it yet - the Shred workouts are hard enough, and NMTZ is the same basic idea as the Shred but 40 mins long rather than 20. Yikes!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/210 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Update

Ok. Update on the P90X. I have only lost 3 lbs weight since my last post 9 days ago BUT I know I have gained muscle and lost fat. I am now able to do pull ups. Not alot like the video but going from just hanging on the bar to doing some is just amazing for me. I am seeing definition in major muscle groups and my arms and legs are popping while working out now. I would recommend the power 90 if you havent been doing much exercise but in my job I am walking around and carring 80lb ladders alot. If you have been doing any exercise then I would say get the X version. He shows easier was to do most of the exercises, like using a chair for pullups in the begining. Hope this helps someone decide.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 18:12

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

i just started P90x but am doing it modified. Staying on my very fatty semi-low carb WOE (50-100g) and doing the exercises about 4x a week (so i guess for me its gonna be P150x for me. I also walk a lot and have always had a pretty healthy metabolism.

the exercises are hard, especially for a woman with no upper body strength, which is precisely why i want to do it. so far I like it, and its a very cheap way to get in shape. the trainer guy is not grating on me yet, but i feel he will be.

btw- i dont use a pull up bar, all you need is bands. they show you how to use them for modified versions of the exercises.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 19:59

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

omg just did plyo. Wow. this is some serious stuff.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 175/175/160 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

I have completed P90X, 4 rounds now. It is truly a great way to GET in shape and STAY in shape. It is a commitment - 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. It alternates between resistance and some cardio. For those who would like to do pure cardio, I have only to say to you that true and permanent weight loss requires lots of strength training. Muscle mass burns fat, even when you're sitting on the couch. Cardio may be great for losing weight, but if you stop - the weight comes right back. Study after study has shown that anaerobic resistance training burns more fat than what is called "cardio". It also promotes strength, coordination, and increased muscle mass.

The equipment required for P90X is modest - a good set of bands OR a chin-up bar and some dumbbells, which you may purchase more of as you outgrow them. You can combine and mix and match. As for bands - the Beachbody ones are not inexpensive, but I wasted more money on junky bands that either snapped or I had to toss than if I'd just ponied up and bought BB's high-quality bands. Bring a towel, a water bottle, and you're good to go. Oh, push-up bars are good too - and cheap!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 14:50

BF:

Funny that you should post today! I was on a run this am and was thinking that I should just order this program! Maybe I will. I just wonder if I can make the commitment, because that's the big deal breaker. Hmmm...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-09, 15:10

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaldron
Funny that you should post today! I was on a run this am and was thinking that I should just order this program! Maybe I will. I just wonder if I can make the commitment, because that's the big deal breaker. Hmmm...

I imagine running takes up more time than P90x ever would, with far less benefit.