Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Did the LC WOL help you to conceive?

I don't have PCOS, but I have been TTC for 6 months. I was wondering if anyone thought that this WOL helped them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 12:36

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I think it helped me! I had a six month old and became very unexpectantly pregnant with my fourth child after I had been LCing for about 2 months. I have heard lots of people say it is recommended when you have PCOS so there must be something to it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:15

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am not yet pg, and DH and I aren't TTC yet...but I can tell you this...

I never EVER ovulated or got my period without help (BCP or Provera) since I was about 16! (I am 25 now).

When I started LCing just about a year ago, I started getting my period on my own..and for the past 6 months my cycles are now more regular (29-35 days) and I ovulate. My Dr. attributes this to my weight loss but also to my LCing. BTW, I don't have PCOS.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:25

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeburse4
I don't have PCOS, but I have been TTC for 6 months. I was wondering if anyone thought that this WOL helped them?

Hi Aeburse4, I think this WOL might have slowed us down in the TTC area actually. When I was doing lower OWL levels, and losing weight at a rate of ~5lbs/month, we were TTC with no success for 4 months. The last 2 months, since Xmas, I have been eating about 10g carbs more than I was, and losing at only ~2lbs/month, and boom, success.

so, i don't know if it matters or not, but I think maybe for those of use who do NOT have PCOS, maybe too low carb does slow us down, whether because of the rate of weight loss or the low carbs, maybe out body is telling us that if we're trying to lose weight, we must not be ready for a baby?

anyway, that's just my experience, a lot of others on this board got pg accidentally while in induction, so clearly it's not a universal thing that low carb might reduce success in TTC.

good luck, and if you haven't tried them, the ovulation predictor kits do actually help...you test your "p" for the 7 days around when you think you are supposed to ovulate, and they tell you when you are really about to. cost almost $20 for a box with 7 testers in them, but if you succeed, it's well worth it...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 21:51

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

We have been trying on and off since last summer(for 6 cycles). I finally got serious about cutting the junk out of my diet and boom! I'm pregnant!

Could be a coincidence, who knows. I'm just happy it finally happened.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 15:39

BF:

Thanks ladies...I have tried the Opk's and I even have a Clear Blue Easy monitor. I think that this WOL has acutally seriously effected my cycle for the worse. I have spotted and stuff all through my cycle this month and it couldn't even find when I ovualtion so I just stopped worrying about it. I am going to start to try to conceive again after I try and loose the wait. I feel like I can only do one thing at a time! LOL
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 11:01

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Aeburse,

I noticed in your profile that you just started LC less than 2 months ago. It took me 3 months of LC eating before my period stabilized, and that was back when I was still on BC pills, so maybe you just need to wait a bit like you said. There are hormones stored in fat, that are released as the fat is burned, and your body may just need a couple of months to figure out how to ignore them...

good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 17:17

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I had PCOS for years, my first two babies, now 15 and 11, were amazing in concieving. I just dropped the pill with my first, we don't think I would have concieved otherwise, and the second was a clomid baby. We tried for years to have another baby with no sucess, I gave up on the fact that we would have another. I quit working 4 years ago, and started my goal to get my health back. after a year I started low carbing after a Dr. recommended that I look for a program that I thought I could do and I settled on TSP. I learned alot about how hormones work and for you ladies that seem to be getting worse, it could be because your body is starting to heal, and then it will adjust.
Anyway, after another year of doing that I thought I could try to go off the pill to see what my body would do, and for the first time I had regular cycles, and I concieved my 3rd child, she is now 11 months old. I know it was from low carbing and being on glucophage. Now in the past several months I have had a hard time with cravings I have gained weight, but my body had healed enough, that I'm now expecting my 4th baby without even trying, now that is a miracle. I believe this way of eating, of cutting out processed foods, eating whole foods is the way to go. Even though I have not been a model participant, if you really understood my history, you would see the miracle this is, and how good this way of eating can be to heal the entire body, not just loose weight.
Tanya
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I can't say for sure, but I think that either something happened because it was seriously MEANT to (the way that a car will miss hitting you by 1 cm because you happened to turn a certain way) or I'm just really fertile.

I was eating a lot of raw eggs, raw meat, unpasturized milk some greens...some raw honey at the time of conception. I also know for a FACT that there was only 1 chance in that time period that I could have been impregnated (It was a very grumpy few weeks for me). I assumed I wouldn't for some reason and gave him the goahead and surprise!
I think it was the food.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 05:10

BF:

Thanks girls! After doing 3 months on the LC diet, my period straitened out and I conceived. I am now almost 6 weeks! We are so excited. I am doing motified LC...about 80 carbs a day. So far so good. Thanks for all the responses!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 08:18

Plan: RNY Gastric Bypass 2/1/10
Stats: 378/163/150 Female 5 ' 5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

My baby was a LC miracle too!!! I was on program for 6 months (Jan-June 2004) got PG in June after losing almost 80 lbs! My baby is 2 1/2 months now and I'm almost 50 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight :O

Time to get back on the wagon!

Have a happy and healthy pregnancy.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Postpartum and Lowcarb!
Stats: 222/000/120 Female 5 foot 4
BF:
Progress: 218%

My second child was an "Atkins Baby".

So yes it did help!