Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 15:26

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru88
carlh_uk instead of blasting some ones program as being false why don't you take the time, and experiment on yourself. Buy the book try it. Before you start get a hydro test and again after 12 weeks to see your muscle gain. People benefit from different types of lifting. Slow burn has been around for many years. Unless you have bothered to try the program how can you say if it works. Even if it didn't work for you, whats to say it wouldn't work for someone else. You are preaching to the choir here. There are a lot of educated people on this forum. That have through personal experience proved to themselves what works for them. So blasting someones program without personally trying it does make you look a little foolish. Just my 2 cents....Bru

I dont need to waste my money on a book telling me how to lift. There is plenty of decent information available online for free. I dont need to pay for some guys attempt to make money putting gimmicks in a book... sigh. Im saying that whatever program your on, adding 10 pounds of muscle in 2 months is VERY unlikely. Im asking for people evidence of what they are saying - as i said before i beleive what is proven to me.

I have no dout there are lots of educated people on the forum. Though if people are so educated, they should be able to back up their claims. your telling me to experiment with this program and get some hydrostatic testing... why dont you go and experiment. Take pics now and in 2 months and show us all the muscle that you have put on. Until you show me some information that actually means something, your opinion means nothing.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 15:58
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

carlh_uk I'm almost 50 years old. I have experimented a lot on my body. My back round as to weight lifting started in the 70's mostly power lifting. I have seen people put on an amazing amount of muscle over short periods of time. If you take a person that has not been very active and have them lift to failure every time they work out, they will pack on muscle quickly. I've been around and lifted with lots of bodybuilders. So I know and have done everything from low reps with heavy weights (635 deadlift) to light weights high reps, HIIT, 5X5, 6 day a week plans doing one body part, 5 day plans, ect... If you read my post to Kara above I said "I'll let you know how I'm doing, going to start next week." So yes I am going to experiment and see if Slow Burn works. Not a big deal just 12 weeks out of my life. I don't know everything, but I have experienced a lot. There is always more than one way to skin a cat (or improve your self lifting weights). Carbs play such a small role in building muscle, protein and fat(amino acids) play a much bigger role. If you have researched exercise, diet, and health as much as many people here you would be a little more open minded to the new research, and not the babel put out by a health system that isn't trying to cure anyone, but trying to improve their bottom line by keeping people sick. I can tell you are young, remember there's more than one way to get to a goal. As long as your happy with your results keep doing it that way. Its just not everyones way...Bru
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 17:36

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%

wow, this is interesting. this thread might well end up in the war zone!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh_uk
whats with the epenis thing?

Easy. For those of us still possessing a sense of humor - it's funny. Clever, even. [doffs cap to Martin]

Quote:
10 pounds of pure muscle in 2 months is pushing it for someone on steroids... for a woman doing 40 minutes of "light" lifting a WEEK - sorry, just no.

Dear Carl - your crystal ball called, and wants you to pick it up at the cleaners.

In other words, unless you've been stalking me for the last two months, you have no idea how much weight I've been lifting, or what the results have been. You say you don't want to make an ass of yourself, but calling a woman you don't know a liar rather than let go of your eroneous, preconceived notions is not helping your cause.

Quote:
Im guessing maybe a pound or so of muscle, and water weight.

Guessing is good. Facts are better. My Tanika monitor tells me my body fat, my muscle weight, my water weight and even my bone density. Perhaps not all 10 pounds are muscle - some of it is surely the blood in the new capillaries my new muscle requires, and a bit may well be water weight. But most of it, according to all measurements (and my mirror!) is muscle. Muscle that wasn't there 2 months ago.

Quote:
I can put on 10 pounds of WEIGHT on over night depending on how many carbs i take in.

Then I guess I'm lucky I'm not you, and that I don't eat enough carbs to put on water weight. My weight has remained the same (fluctuating by not more than a couple of ounces) for well over a YEAR - until I began Super Slow.

Quote:
2000 calories is a lot.

It is indeed, especially for me. Which is why, instead of fixating on that number, it would have been more productive to read my entire sentence. What I said was that I usually eat 1300-1500 calories a day. Let's say that's an average of 1400 for 6 days, and 2000 calories for 1 day. By my calculation, that's 1485 calories a day average for the week. Are you trying to say that's a "calorie surplus"? Try again. You also managed to not see (nor did you respond to) the second nail in the coffin of your "can't gain muscle without carbs and calories" theory: I eat fewer than 20 carbs a day. According to you, I should not be able to build ANY muscle. But oops - I have.

Quote:
im just trying to tell people how it is.

I guess that's the problem. You are just 'trying to tell' people who know better than you 'how it is' - and even when you're proved wrong by a real person instead of a text book theory you simply can't accept it or let it go. That's sad. Maybe your epenis needs some Super Slow.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 20:37

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
10 pounds of pure muscle in 2 months is pushing it for someone on steroids... for a woman doing 40 minutes of "light" lifting a WEEK - sorry, just no.

SuperSlow is _not_ light lifting. The weights may be lighter, but that's because when you slow it down to this degree you can't manage the amount of weight you can throw around with reps that only last a couple of seconds. We are talking about lifting to failure. It's incredibly intense! I've tried it, and progressed very nicely, but got off the wagon for a while. I think I'll start again soon.

There is info on the web, so you don't have to buy the book to get an idea of the technique. For example, see http://www.ultimate-exercise.com/, and follow the link to "articles". It's no gimmick, although it is contraversial.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 07:51

No i dont know for sure what your results have been, thats why im asking you to prove it. "Perhaps not all 10 pounds are muscle" - your contradicting yourself. I never said you could not gain muscle without carbs, i said its by no means optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
I guess that's the problem. You are just 'trying to tell' people who know better than you 'how it is' - and even when you're proved wrong by a real person

Im sorry, i must have missed that proof. I havent seen any evidence to prove anything you have said. Anyone can say anything in a forum - doesnt make it true, and certainly doesnt prove it.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 08:52

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks Bru and Lisa,

I'll let you know if I get the book. I liked that there's an option to use home equipment. DH has a bench thing (I'm so not weight literate,) and would help me if I ask. We've just decided today to stop spending for a while, so a gym membership is out of the question.

Thanks again.
Kara
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:27
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Kara it would probably be a great start having your hubby help you or do the program with you. There are two sections, one for no equipment, then one with equipment. Hope you enjoy, can't wait to get over this Candida cleanse I'm doing, might start slow on Monday. Just get some timing down and figure out what kinda weight to start with. Redoing my weight room tomorrow, just bought a Vecrta VX-18(http://vectrafitness.com/products/?p=vx18 ) the other day. Going to move one of my free weight machines out and put the Vectra in. Now at least I can workout alone and not worry about safety. Best of luck, I'll let you know how its moving along...Bru
Thanks again Lisa can't wait to try the Slow Burn program. PS I will be tracking my fat percentage with my hand held. So it will give me a good idea of whats going on.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:35

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

That's one cool machine, Bru! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Was just looking online, and saw that the author also has a kids book http://www.strongkidshealthykids.com/ Looks pretty good. I'm going to order both of them, as I have a nine year old. She's always like to play with her Daddy's weights!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:48
Registered Member

Quote:
I never said you could not gain muscle without carbs, i said its by no means optimal.

You know what's cool about the internet? People's actual words are written, and can be copied and pasted. As here, where you wrote:

"Feel free to try adding muscle while in ketosis and not in a calorie surplus - you will be wasting your time."

Wasting your time. Which means not possible. Because if it were possible, you wouldn't be wasting your time.

If I put on 10 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 9 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 8 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 7 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 6 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 5 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on even 1 pound of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

Put a fork in it, son - your theory's done. And when something's done, I don't mess with it anymore. If you do, you'll be talkin' to the hand. Done is DONE.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffronly
I'll let you know if I get the book. I liked that there's an option to use home equipment. DH has a bench thing (I'm so not weight literate,) and would help me if I ask. We've just decided today to stop spending for a while, so a gym membership is out of the question.

Kara,

Given the economy, totally understandable. Btw, you can probably get the book from your library to review before (or instead of) buying it. And yes, there is a complete at home workout.

If you grow past that though, you might want to consider a membership at your local Y. That's where I work out, and most of the Y's now have fabulous gyms with up to date equipment. And - they give very generous discounts to families who might need it.

Please keep us in the loop - I'd really like to know how those home workouts go for you.

Lisa
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru88
Redoing my weight room tomorrow, just bought a Vecrta VX-18(http://vectrafitness.com/products/?p=vx18 ) the other day.

Holy moly, Bru - what a machine! Can I come work out with you?

Lisa
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:57
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Kara you can see Hahn working his young daughter out on U-Tube, I think I just searched slow burn....Bru
Ya I got really lucky on the machine, had seen one at the equipment place in Tucson a couple weeks ago, $8000.00 so I didn't take it home. The other night I found one about 3 hours from me, 4 years old, looks like new....$750 I couldn't pass it up. Even old dogs get a bone sometimes!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 10:03
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Come on over Lisa, it would be fun. You would probably like my weight room. Hack squat/leg press machine, now the Vectra, plus power block dumb bells (5-90 pounds adjustable) a few benches, plus about 600 pounds of free weights, a Precor elliptical, and bike, of course computer and TV. Thats the problem, I had to buy top quality equipment when I started this journey I was 675 Pounds, Not many pieces of equipment that can hold that kind of weight. So come over and have some fun...Bru
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
You know what's cool about the internet? People's actual words are written, and can be copied and pasted. As here, where you wrote:

"Feel free to try adding muscle while in ketosis and not in a calorie surplus - you will be wasting your time."

Wasting your time. Which means not possible. Because if it were possible, you wouldn't be wasting your time.

If I put on 10 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 9 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 8 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 7 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 6 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on 5 pounds of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

If I put on even 1 pound of muscle in ketosis while eating a calorie deficit - you're wrong.

Put a fork in it, son - your theory's done. And when something's done, I don't mess with it anymore. If you do, you'll be talkin' to the hand. Done is DONE.

Whats funny is that you havent proved anything about putting on muscle. Saying you will be wasting your time doesnt mean its not possible at all. Though I still believe you cannot add muscle while eating less than your BMR. Its funny how you like to reference age aswel ("son"), because your old it makes you wise? - seems not in this case.

Im glad your done, as is martin it seems. He didnt produce any useful information and neither did you. Though im sure you will find something else to say, probably about my age or my epenis or something... sigh. I have found an article if people do want some useful information about building muscle:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne2.htm

Again if you think you are more informed than the author, there is a link to his personal info and credentials from the article. A quote taken from the 4th paragraph:

" Last but most importantly, TO PUT ON WEIGHT YOU MUST CONSUME MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND! YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T."