Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 06:21
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 130/129/116 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:24%/21%/12%
Progress: 7%

Great kbfubTH- I am going to do upperbody work today-primarily shoulders...no plyo work though, because Monday classes are usually pretty tough! I'll check back in later with my results!

Sandy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 19:28
Registered Member

Ok, so I had a really hard day today, Class was very tough-20 minutes longer than usual too. My CNS was so depleted and I could barely think straight, so I ended up increasing carbs to recover. Disappoints me! But, I did recover enough to pull together a weight workout tonight- So, here is what I did-

power cleans bar + 50# x 5, 5, 5
push press same bar x 4, 5, 4
snatches-same bar x 3, 3, 3
press sit up-ex bar+20# x 7, 6, 5

KbfunTH- I was also reading some past threads and noticed one where you mentioned you consume 75 g of carbs a day, what types of carbs do you eat?

I also noticed that you mentioned that you used to use creatine, but discontinued because of the benefits of this WOE, did I read that correctly? Or do you still use it?

Sandy
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 08:03

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

75g/carbs a day is a good number for me because it's just enough to supply what I need and still keep me low enough to stay fat adapted. This amount also allows me to have some of what I enjoy each day without going overboard. I use a max of 25% carb consumption as my high limit. As long as I'm coming in at, or below this amount, I don't worry about what the source is, it changes from meal to meal. I have found that it's much easier to keep the carbs I really like in my diet and work everything else around that. Chocolate would be one of these carbs, breads and some fruits. I can live without rice, pasta, and potatoes. Having to forego everything in your diet that you enjoy makes it increasingly difficult over time to keep avoiding these foods.

To give you an example of how I apply this. I went to dinner Friday night to a Greek restaurant that opened up near my house and since I like traditional Gyro’s, that’s what I ended up getting. The only other carbs for that day came from a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast burrito. That was the limit of my carbs for the day.

That’s pretty much how I do it. Calories are always my number one focus. Carbs are somewhere around number 4.

As far as creatine, I used it for several years, but decided one day that it was just not worth the money anymore. I would rather spend that money on a good steak or something. Creatine did work well for putting weight on though. Strength and performance went up too. I was getting what I wanted out of my diet and exercise and didn't really care anymore about the other little effects of creatine.

Workout looks good. Did you perform it in a circuit?

found something you may enjoy. check these out.
http://www.groundfighter.com/details/prodid/202.html

Last edited by kbfunTH : Tue, May-09-06 at 12:53.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 13:25
Registered Member

kbfunTH-

No, I did those exercises as straight sets, 90 sec rest between the first 9 sets, 30 sec rest between ab sets. I could very easily do them as a circuit though!

Yesturday's class was brutal, I truly did leave it all on the mat! I still was not 100% recovered from that workout before I went to my basement to lift-even though 6 hours had elapsed!

I was familiar with those exercises, but never really did work with them too much, so I was concentrating on form. Do you think I would get more benefit out of those exercises if I did them in a circuit?

I loved the kettleball link! I was just talking with my husband about those yesturday! I don't have any at the moment, but do you think the exercises could be done with dumbells?

Sandy
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 15:19

Better to play it smart at first until you're comfortable with your form. Doing them the way you did was fine. A circuit is a nice way to up the intensity and burn some extra calories and work on strength endurance. You can always alternate between the two workouts.

Most kettlebell and dumbbell exercise can be done with either. The kettlebell will provide a more challenging resistance due to its design and will be more flexible. A lot of these exercises can even be done with a barbell. The 7' olympic bar can really make things tough because of its length.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 15:52
Registered Member

great ideas kbfunTH! Thank you so much!!

Sandy
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygrady
great ideas kbfunTH! Thank you so much!!

Sandy

Good luck with your training and nutrition. Hope to see you posting some great results soon.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 13:43

Plan: Al Sears
Stats: 310/190/180 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Wink

Quote:
I am just starting my LC journey and am having difficulties meshing this WOL with my athletic interests and goals. I am a 41 year old female martial artist who I stumbled upon both this WOL, as well as this forum, while researching inflamation. After much research and reading, I began this WOE about two weeks before Easter. First I noticed my knees immediately stopped hurting and then my skin cleared up for the first time in my life (confirmed that this works at a cellular level). I fell off the wagon at Easter partly due to the holiday and partly due to the dip in the quality of my training.

I find that I can train and perform fine when I am working out on my own, when I go at my own pace. My problem is that while I am in class, I am finding that after the first 30 minutes or so, the quality of my kicks are suffering. Yes, I can continue, but there is no explosiveness to them, they begin losing their snap, their quickness, they feel heavy. It feels like the muscles are not firing with as much intensity. My training has not changed, only my diet. When I go back to a more SAD, I regain my quickness, but the quality of my skin diminishes. So I know the internal effects are probably worse.

I also lift weights-have for about the last 15 years. I am currently weight training on M-W-F-SA doing 1 body part a day for 9-12 heavy sets. Each lifting session lasts about 30-40 min. My martial arts training is 1 hour in the dojang M-T-TH and a less intense practice session at home on W-F-SA lasting anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 depending on what I am working on-again, these are less intense.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can at least maintain my current schedule while still getting all of the health benefits that this WOL offers me???

Thanks for all your suggestions and input!!

Sandy

Hello, fellow martial artist... I, too, know how it feels to walk into the kwoon/dojo/dojang and have my training suffer because of the low amounts of carbs I'm eating. It may be that your carb level is too low. Try increasing your good carbs a little. Eat some about an 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before you begin training. I used to be able to put 3 to 4 hours of training at least three times a week and then I had to cut back to about 1.5 hours 3x a week.

I would eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a piece of low carb bread about an hour before training. This really helped me to get over that training hump.... The hardest part was during induction... I stopped going for the two-week period until I was able to get the carbs up to about 30 to 40 grams a day. But since you are very active, I don't think adding a little more carbs will hurt. But you will have to test it out and see how you feel and what results you are getting. The peanut butter and low carb bread gave me that added energy! Just an idea.

Happy training...

P.S. I have an outdoor Karate camp on May 19-21 and I will have to carb up a little more to be able to be effective. Those training sessions will be for 7 to 8 hours long with breaks in between. It will be outdoors and the temperature will be in mid to upper 80s! Some carbs and Gatorade will be at my side
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 14:04
Registered Member

Rocketrob-

7-8 hours a day karate boot camp! WOW! Good luck on that!

You noticed a difference in your training when you added only 1 piece LC bread with peanut butter? That's great! What is your usual carb intake at now?

I am really trying to figure out what works best for me, and so far, it seems I end up low balling it, only to have a carb lash back. i.e.-I cut carbs, probably too much, for a few days then totally bonk. I increase the carbs slightly and then that increase inevitably leads to a carb binge of sorts!

Really on a roller coaster right now. But in my "perfect little world", I will figure this out!!!

Sandy

ps kbfunTH- I would have posted my weight workout out for you to evaluate for me today, but I am nursing a VERY sore hamstring and illiapis (sp?). I think I must have done at least 200 axe kicks last night!! I will probably give it a rest for a few days since I have testing on Saturday.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 14:48

BF:

Hey, Sandy!

I'm guessing about 100 grams per day now.... Although my weight loss as slowed but I am still losing. I'm about 20 lbs from my goal weight now. I think it is normal to slow down as you approach your goal. Try peanut butter and a half cup of oatmeal! That combo will give you some burn time as well.

When I was really limiting the carbs at first to lose the weight I had to cut back on training... and substituted some cardio and resistance work to fill in. Yeah, i agree it is going to be a balance thing with your training and eating habits, but with some tinkering you will find what works best for you.. I just thought it would be easier to cut back the training than to tinker around with the carb equation.

200 axe kicks??? Whoa, baby!!
We don't do axe kicks in our system but I know what they are and have been hit by a few of them in some tourneys! I did some jumping wheel kicks last week for about 45 minutes on the hanging bags and my legs and thighs were just blitzed for two days!

Good luck on your belt test!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 15:40
Registered Member

Rocketrob-

Yeah, I thought about cutting back on training while I am trying to adapt to lower carbs, but I really like the group of people I train with now. There is a small group of us who are all at the same belt level and we really push each other! I would hate to fall behind and lose that competition. So yes, as always I am trying to do and have it all at once!!

45 minutes of jumping wheel kicks-yikes! Jumping and endurance are my weaknesses.

Where is your karate camp being held? What are the goals of the event?

Sandy
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:01

Sandy - You probably made the right choice to give it a rest for a few days. IMO, training to the point of being so sore you have to take a break for a couple of days wasn't as beneficial as cutting those kicks in half and picking up your training again the next day and/or the day after.

I remember early on in my MMA training, doing thai style knees to the midsection. My neck was so sore for several days after from my training partners hands cranking on my neck. We should have dropped our training load that day long before we did so we could have picked it back up again the next day. Instead, it was nearly a week before I could train again. Not a very good idea if your training for neural adaptation.

I wouldn't cut back on the training on the count of energy. I would up the carbs some and drop the calories elsewhere if I needed to in order to keep dropping weight. The training is where it's at!

Last edited by kbfunTH : Thu, May-11-06 at 10:25.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 16:18

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Rocketrob-

Yeah, I thought about cutting back on training while I am trying to adapt to lower carbs, but I really like the group of people I train with now. There is a small group of us who are all at the same belt level and we really push each other! I would hate to fall behind and lose that competition. So yes, as always I am trying to do and have it all at once!!

45 minutes of jumping wheel kicks-yikes! Jumping and endurance are my weaknesses.

Where is your karate camp being held? What are the goals of the event?

Sandy

Hey, Sandy!

Sorry for the delay... Our camp is being held in Burson, CA... that would be in the Sierra foothills ( The gold country).. The organizer has private land up there and its nice and scenic and secluded.

Goals of the camp:
Students are organized into groups by the color of their belt for instruction of their next belt material, meeting other students from other schools, learning from the black belt instructors, Students put on demonstrations and the black belts do their demonstrations, generally it is to build comaraderie among the students and instructors from the different schools, and of course to have a good time! We do two camps a year.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 09:07

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Default Awesome thread...

By the way, at what age do you guys think too old to start Martial Arts? After reading this thread, I noticed a martial arts studio near my gym and considering trying it out.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 12:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
By the way, at what age do you guys think too old to start Martial Arts? After reading this thread, I noticed a martial arts studio near my gym and considering trying it out.

depending on what your goals are. Some martial arts are for fitness and sport, while others teach more about the combat aspect of it.

The important thing is once you identify your goals, then choose a school that you are comfortable with. Shop around and take the schools up on any offers of free introductory lessons. Taking your time and choosing the right school pays off big time later on.

As for age, I would say it doesn't matter. What does matter is your physical condition and your mindset. There was a 72 year-old woman in our system who just received her black belt two weeks ago. She started when she was 62 years old and came to class 2 times per week! Yes it took her 10 years, but she wanted it that bad. Now, getting a black belt may not be your goal; some join to get into shape and receive some self-defense knowledge. It's worth the try because martial arts challenges you in different ways than just going to the gym.

Take care!