Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 13:49

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default How many of us are there?

I was wondering how many on this forum are following Schwarzbein? How many of you are doing the diet as per the book? How many have modified the plan and how?

Personally, I follow a modified version with fewer carbs and I've begun to space out my meals to 6 small meals per day.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

I'm doing something similar

I tweaked the carbs down from the suggested 130 to about 80 or so (having several small meals too!), because it just feels better. Might up that number a little later on to see what happens. Doing great with most of the plan, though I do have some trace amounts of sugar now and then.

I've also knocked out all true grain foods (though home-ground quinoa and corn are still in). The immune reaction is so strong that I can't consume even a trace of the stuff. Since most manufactured goods are tainted with grain in some way (food starch, flavoring, spices, conveyer belt dusting... etc.), I was almost Schwarzbeining before ever having read her excellent book. Funny how things work out
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default soon, I hope

Hi, I've been reading this book (every morning before work starts), and hope to get into this plan as well. I'm really enjoying the reading in it. I find it's very easy to understand.

I'm very interested in any of your personal experiences/comments.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:20

Plan: Dr. Scharzbein/Somersize Combo
Stats: 165/163/135
BF:
Progress: 7%
Wink I'm here and new to this forum....

Hi Everyone
My name is Sher and I am starting this woe again.......I tried Dr. S's plan a month before Thanksgiving and lost about 10 lbs (which I have carelessly gained back over the holidays.) I have read almost all the lo-carb books but I felt that Dr. Schwarzbein's plan was the most liveable and healthy choice for me. I have also tried Suzanne Somer's diet but there were too many restrictions (funky foods) and I just can't do lo-carb without nuts, avocados and a few others. I do love her recipes. Has anyone else dabbled with Somersizing? I was amazed that I could eat the nuts and chocolate and still lose so I am going to follow the same routine I did before the holidays. My hubby likes to eat this way so it's just juggling carb meals and snacks to my kids that is hard. I am also home w/ my kids all week (homeschooling) and cooking -- that is real challenge. I do feel great eating this way so I really want to stick to it get down to my goal weight this time and maintain. Any support would be greatly appreciated! Anyone with similar challenges or a similar situation?
Sher 165/165/135
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 21:30

BF:

so it's just juggling carb meals and snacks to my kids that is hard. I am also home w/ my kids all week (homeschooling) and cooking -- that is real challenge. I do feel great eating this way so I really want to stick to it get down to my goal weight this time and maintain. Any support would be greatly appreciated! Anyone with similar challenges or a similar situation?

Wow Sher! That does sound challenging. I did try to stick to the plan once before when I was home with my kids, but it was much harder...particularly when they have a strong preference for pasta etc. I did find meal planning a week in advance made it much easier. I was walking into the kitchen starving and ready to reach for the most convenient thing...usually carby of course! The meal planning also really helped with keeping my grocery bills under control.

surlymel - are you allergic to grains? I am apparently allergic to wheat and corn. I must say that many of my allergies are much improved since starting this WOE this June. I only rarely used antihistamines this summer...a big change from before.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
surlymel - are you allergic to grains? I am apparently allergic to wheat and corn. I must say that many of my allergies are much improved since starting this WOE this June. I only rarely used antihistamines this summer...a big change from before.

I have an autoimmune reaction (called Celiac) to all cereal grains. Antibodies try to latch on to the proteins in those foods, but get a little screwy and tend to attack anything in the body that those grains come in contact with. The first part to show damage is the duodenum (just below the stomach) - it's full of tiny little villi that pull nutrients from the food you eat, but they get clipped off by those rampant antibodies. The small intestine normally has an surface area about the size of a football field, but Celiacs can end up with as little room as a tabletop. Malnutrition, hormone/adrenal/thyroid problems and grouchiness are some of the top symptoms... and a recent study has shown that about 5% of diabetics could have it as well (but keep eating those carbs, huh?).

Guess one of the best things about Schwarzbein is just how adjustable the plan is for anyone with unusual needs... oh, and anti-grain maniacs like me
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm a Schwarzbein dabbler I've read the book twice and think it sound. I tried to follow it for about a week, but it was too great a change from my old bad habits. I'm definitely looking on moving toward it for maintenance. Her system of adding carbs back in makes sense to me -- but I have a LONG way to go.

I hope you get a Schwarzbein group going -- I'll love to eavesdrop
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default book

Count me in to Alto. I got the book before Christmas. I like to have a coffee and relax for a bit before work at the office, so every morning I can I read some of it. (I'm working on a difficult knitting project at home and can't seem to make time here for it, as every chance I get I knit!)

I really like the "principals" of the plan. For me I'm finding it more interesting reading than the Atkins Revolution.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 08:28

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Hi. Also found the book a better read than atkins. Have the same trouble trying to cook for my pasta- lovers.

However, I like that MOST nights, I can cook pretty much a 'normal' meal, and we can all take from it what we want. I like her idea of balancing. And how she talks about healing the metabolism. That wsas just what I needed.

YB
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 10:35

Plan: Dr. Scharzbein/Somersize Combo
Stats: 165/163/135
BF:
Progress: 7%
Wink How was your weekend Schwarbeiners???

Hi everyone
Well I'm down 2 lbs ( from last week's start) but yesterday my family was invited to a sledriding party at my good friends's house. She and I usually share our diet books but she is firmly against low carb. She says she is like a monster without carbs.....well I usually feel that way too for the first few days but she hates it and hates low fat too ???? She is still searching for diet that suits her. She is a great cook and made homemade veggie soup and lots of carb muchies but I only indulged in a few pretzels and hot tea w/ **sugar** I have a severe weakness for hot or cold ice tea w/ sugar. This friend and I used to even go to a local "tea house" to have our favorite tea (Republic of tea). We both love tea so I feel compelled to have tea at her house. I just can't bring myself to ingest more than one cup w/ splenda (It's the closest taste to sugar but it's still not the same). I guess I am just weak when it comes to going to other people's houses to eat. I do fine if I am dining out but I hate to make the hostess feel bad and not eat what she makes. I did take a relish tray and I nibbled mostly on that most of the night. I guess it won't totally derail me but I wish I had more will power - Last fall I did do Dr. S's plan 90% of the time and still lost weight .....not at lightening speed but it was still ok. I will just have to perservere. Anyone else struggling already? Thanks for sharing.
bye Sher
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 20:02

BF:

Hi Sher - I feel like I'm always struggling on some level. I fly through some days, others...well let's just say its me vs. the carb demons and sometimes they win. Its gotten easier over time. I don't completely follow her plan. I occasionally bake lowcarb stuff with sweetener, and have been known to indulge in deep fried foods, or cheese on her taboo list. Given my weight loss, I'mnot too worried. Not to mention that I feel great most of the time now.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 05:09
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Ich bein ein Schwarzbeiner!

Hope I didn't just say something nasty! I heard somewhere that JFK actually said "I'm a doughnut" or something in his famous speech. Definitly a LC boo-boo!

Happy to find some fellow Schwarzbeiners. I've been feeling a little guilty about being allowed to have a bit of fruit when the Atkins people can't. But then again they can have some pretty yummy sounding desserts with their artificial sweeteners. I've never been much one to go for AS anyway but I sure used to like dessert.

I'm allergic to all grains except rice so Schwarzbein is a natural fit. Corn is also a big no-no for me.

I should be more diligent about carb counts, I'm pretty loose in that regard. I just try to adhere to the general principle of sticking with meat, eggs and veggies as much as possible. Don't really care for potatoes and I'm happy with a small helping of rice (1/4 c) so the starches aren't much of an issue for me anymore.

My biggest downfall in the past has been succumbing to sugar cravings. Once I've eliminated it and it's cleared my system, I still find that sometimes my head wants it even when my body says Blecch!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 09:52

BF:

Hi amieK --

Its nice to see someone else with rampant grain allergies...wheat and corn are big no nos for me too. I can tolerate the small amounts that the Plan allows for so long as I don't indulge very regularly (maybe a serving a day, if that!). I also do not follow her "no chemicals" approach to the letter and do occasionally indulge in AS desserts (particularly if its Karen's No Bake Vancouver Cheesecake or the Tiramisu)!

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 18:33

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 238/224/126
BF:
Progress: 13%
Wink I'm one

Hello

I have been on the Schwarzbein healing programme for just weeks, but the effect has been dramatic. All this time it would appear CARB has been messing me up. With huge trepidation I ate the eggs and bacon - expecting my gallbladder to blow up - but no such thing. All the symptoms have gone. It is too weird for words. I have come off a host of prescription medicines!

Good luck everyone. We are all in for the long haul.

Jilly
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:37

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Jilly, isn't it wonderful? did you ever think you could feel so good? Welcome aboard!!

yb