Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 12:44

Plan: Keto-Classic
Stats: 400/201/190 Male 75 inches
BF:15%
Progress: 95%
Smile Meat Delivery

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards and had a big weight loss some years ago and have kept it off to this very day.

I lost it by going low carb, then years later went vegan for a couple years, then pescetarian and now classic keto. Has anyone experienced an improvement with depression while doing a keto diet? I am hoping it will help me.

Also has anyone used a meat delivery service? I just got my first shipment from the Butcher Box and the meat is fantastic.

Well take care!

-Dave

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 13:34
boopchick

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Dave.

I am only 4 weeks in but have definitely noticed an improvement in my mental status. I've suffered from depression in varying degrees for much of my life. I haven't tried a meat delivery service but it sounds interesting. Hope you have a great day!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 14:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Many report improved mood with low carb of any kind. There's also a useful book, The Mood Cure, which has all kinds of great supplemental advice which can speed up the process.

I also started a thread on my own use of therapeutic niacin for anxiety:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 09:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Impressive maintenance, Dave. Thanks for joining us.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 18:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

By classic keto, do you mean 3:1, 4:1 ratio ketogenic diets as used in epilepsy? I'm currently aiming close to 3:1.

I have what would probably be diagnosed as something along the lines of schizo-affective bipolar disorder, with a side of social anxiety. More often than not, it's been the social anxiety I've had to deal with, but I've had some periods of serious psychosis, and decades where I had various forms of auditory hallucinations on a regular basis. The hearing voices stuff had already died down, but the voices disappeared entirely when I started eating more ketogenically, although I can't be certain that wasn't just a coincidence. I've noticed lately I'm getting a hint of them when listening to Freebird, but it's worth it.

I do get a mood lift from eating a ketogenic diet, and also a reduction in social anxiety, both in person and online. But it seems to be tied to caffeine, at least, the few times I've tried lowering my caffeine intake or even quitting caffeine, I've ended up down and back in my shell. I still do lower caffeine now and again just to restore sensitivity.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 19:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

For most of my life I suffered from clinical depression. Eating a very low carb diet has entirely alleviated this problem. It really is quite remarkable.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 20:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, Dave. Haven't tried a meat delivery service. I'll check out Butcher Box to see if it's in my area. All the best!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 07:19

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome! I don't use a meat delivery service, prefer to buy local raised side of beef and use my freezer. I think better price per pound that way.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopchick
Hi Dave.

I am only 4 weeks in but have definitely noticed an improvement in my mental status. I've suffered from depression in varying degrees for much of my life. I haven't tried a meat delivery service but it sounds interesting. Hope you have a great day!

Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Impressive maintenance, Dave. Thanks for joining us.

Best wishes.

Thank you!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
By classic keto, do you mean 3:1, 4:1 ratio ketogenic diets as used in epilepsy? I'm currently aiming close to 3:1.

I have what would probably be diagnosed as something along the lines of schizo-affective bipolar disorder, with a side of social anxiety. More often than not, it's been the social anxiety I've had to deal with, but I've had some periods of serious psychosis, and decades where I had various forms of auditory hallucinations on a regular basis. The hearing voices stuff had already died down, but the voices disappeared entirely when I started eating more ketogenically, although I can't be certain that wasn't just a coincidence. I've noticed lately I'm getting a hint of them when listening to Freebird, but it's worth it.

I do get a mood lift from eating a ketogenic diet, and also a reduction in social anxiety, both in person and online. But it seems to be tied to caffeine, at least, the few times I've tried lowering my caffeine intake or even quitting caffeine, I've ended up down and back in my shell. I still do lower caffeine now and again just to restore sensitivity.

I am doing 3:1 and it has helped me immensely with body inflammation and it seems to have helped my mood as well, I am so glad my wife talked me into this as we both are doing it together. Take Care!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
For most of my life I suffered from clinical depression. Eating a very low carb diet has entirely alleviated this problem. It really is quite remarkable.

Jean

Agreed I am getting the same effect!