Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 06:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Changing Habits, The Lightening Bolt method by Gretchen Rubin

Jimmy Moore's recent podcast introduced me to an author focused on Changing Habits, Happiness, etc.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...d-to-good/24802

Just finished her new book, one of the four methods to change is "The Lightening Bolt". Her example is that she changed to Low Carb after reading Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat"...just like that...overnight...a lightening bolt. I basically did the same after reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" (pre-WWGF days). Others have to take smaller steps (her father). What technique works to change habits depends on "The Four Tendencies" (personalities) she also defines. But looking around her website, also found this interview with Gary Taubes. And more about The Lightening Bolt. If having difficulty changing your eating habits, her options for change are something to consider.

https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness...ag/gary-taubes/

Interesting, helpful interview with Taubes. If you haven't been hit by a Lightening Bolt yet...try Reading Why We Get Fat

https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness...lightning-bolt/

New book is Better Than Before. http://gretchenrubin.com/books/befo...r/before-after/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 08:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet - your post had me watching Gretchen's videos last night. Very good guidance for life principles and another solid resource.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thanks for this. My Lightning Bolt was reading DANDR and committing to my new plan. I think such radical restructuring works great for me. Incremental change does not.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 09:47

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Loved the interview with Gary Taubes - I enjoyed learning a bit more about him as a person. Although I'd already been eating LC for almost 4 years when I read GCBC, I had a lightning bolt moment reading the section on saturated fat as it relates to cardiovascular health. I'd been following South Beach (without the frankenfoods) up till then. I immediately added bacon and more eggs to our diet and we've had it virtually every morning since.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 11:06

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for this Jey - you always find such interesting resources. My lightning bolt was hearing my doctor say "Your triglycerides are 360, I suggest you buy a copy of the South Beach Diet". And I did, 15 minutes later at the first book store I came to.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 01:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for links. I am interested to see what the "Four Tendencies" are!
Cheers
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 02:18

BF:

And it looks like I'm an Obliger (which is probably about right). 😉
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 08:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thank you for this!

teaser posted the following to another thread and wow! it really explained an aspect to me that I hadn't considered:
Quote:
However, one distinction is so helpful for habit change that I devoted an entire chapter to it: the Strategy of Abstaining.
In a nutshell: “Abstainers” do better when they resist a temptation altogether (I’m an Abstainer). “Moderators” do better when they indulge moderately.

Abstaining is a counter-intuitive and non-universal strategy. It absolutely doesn’t work for everyone. But for people like me, it’s enormously useful.
As an Abstainer, if I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself arguing:” How much can I have?”” Does this time ‘count’?” “If I had it yesterday, can I have it today?” But Abstaining ends those draining debates. I don’t feel deprived at all. If I never do something, it requires no self-control to maintain that habit.
It’s a Secret of Adulthood: By giving something up, I gain. As my sister so brilliantly phrased it, “Now I’m free from French fries.”
You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits
Moderators, for their part, find that occasional indulgence both heightens their pleasure and strengthens their resolve. They may even find that keeping treats near at hand makes them less likely to indulge, because when they know they can have something, they don’t crave it.
You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something
The key is: Which way is easier for you? I know Abstaining may sound hard, but for me, it’s easier. Truly! Also, what approach allows you to avoid feeling deprived? For good habits, it’s very important not to allow ourselves to feel deprived.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 08:39

I just took the quiz - kind of fun. It tells me I'm a Questioner, and I would have to agree. May even read her book.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 08:50

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

It's funny how I'm seeing things about her everywhere since I listened to her podcast with Jimmy while walking the other day. I do like what she has to say though.

Habits are fantastic tools to keep you on track. Once it becomes a habit, momentum keeps us going, giving us the impetus to move forward despite little bits of daily nonsense that threaten to derail us. That is so true and exactly what I have found in the year I've been low-carbing.

I was a victim of a Lightning Bolt myself. My mom almost died from complications to diabetes and was bedridden to the point it looked like she might stay that way. Dad suffered so much. And I saw exactly where I was headed, and what it would do to my family. That was it. I found this place and a year later I'm 10lb from goal, after losing 92lb. It really has been, for the majority of the journey, effortless, thanks to the power of habit.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 09:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Questioner...You, me and Gary Taubes!

I never heard of her either until Jimmy's podcast. With almost 1,000 podcasts, he has introduced me to people related to dieting I would never have found.

Next Up....Amy Berger! Who I did find not long ago and love her blog, so really looking forward to his next interview too.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 10:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Questioner. Pretty sure my office mate is a rebel. There were some questions in her survey that just didn't have any good answers, IMHO.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 13:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Before I took the quiz, I was pretty certain I am a Questioner.
Nope.
Rebel.
Now I have to find out what the back story is. Pretty clever way to get readers.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Questioner...You, me and Gary Taubes!

Next Up....Amy Berger! Who I did find not long ago and love her blog, so really looking forward to his next interview too.

I suspect this website attracts Questioners. I see NancyLC is one as well...not surprising.

I love Amy Berger; she's got a great sense of humor.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 13:41

BF:

Another interesting observation. I don't even need to check I am definitely a Moderator and my reasoning is exactly those quoted. Lots going on and to check out with these links.