Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 08:27

Plan: mayo
Stats: 165/145/110 Female 5'2" w/ shoes!!
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Is anyone doing the Mayo clinic diet?

This is considered the fad diet in which you have grapefruit with each meal (which are otherwise LC meals). I plan to try this and just wondering if anyone else is doing this? Or if you could point me in the right direction if there is already a thread on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Not to my knowledge. The Mayo Clinic does not endorse what is being called the "Mayo Clinic Diet" -- it didn't come from them.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 11:18

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

I did this to lose 20 lbs when joining the army reserves back in the late 1990's. I drank a small amount of grapefruit juice with every meal, but everything else was basically Atkins. The weight did come off quickly, but I was a lot younger then. Plus, I was running 3 miles every day after work and whitewater rafting every weekend!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 07:06

BF:

Lessliz-I understand that it isn't related in any way to the Mayo clinic. Not even sure why is was named that as it really isn't even close to what the "real" Mayo Clinic eating recommendations are. However, I consider it a healthy eating plan.

Snowgirl-thanks, that is what I am hoping for. Many people seem to have lost considerable amounts in a relatively short amount of time. I can't say that I exercise as much as you do, so I hope that is not too much of an issue!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 12:41

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

Jaob,

I was really just trying to say that is no more than Atkins with grapefruit juice or grapefruit added. I don't really think there is anything special about it apart from Atkins. The reason I think it worked for me so well is I was exercising a huge amount and I was not insulin resistant yet. I definitely do not think you are better off doing the 'mayo clinic' diet vs. atkins.

Shortly thereafter I went to basic training & dropped another 20 lbs in 9 weeks eating huge amounts of food. (3000+ calories a day, maybe). But of course, the key there was continual activity from 5am to late at night
Believe me, I wouldn't go back to that weight loss plan for anything!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 347.4/347.4/220 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've done it before and I know several ppl that have done it and it works quite well...I
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 10:13

BF:

Hi Sheri, thanks, I know this is an old thread, but I plan on doing this plan again if anyone wants to join me. Please??????????

Sheri, can you give me any details? How much did you lose? How fast? Why did you stop? Any thing would help!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 11:53

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi, I am doing the mayo clinic plan. Not many of us here though. But like you said since this is a low carb plan I still feel good here. You can add me to your buddy list if you like. So we can keep track of each other and help on those hard days. First week on this plan I lost 6 lbs. Second week lost 4 lbs. Will weigh in this friday for week three. I'll let you know how its going if you would like.