Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 09:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%
Default Protein Power Daily, Monday, June 28

Good morning to all! Weight is up today to 148.5, which is always the case at the start of TOM. I just finished watching part of Dr. Phil, and it really struck a chord with me. There was a guy on it who was ashamed of his weight and he was letting it take over his life. The message I took from it is that so often we let something like our weight totally rule our life. We are happy if we step on the scale and see a good number and are crabby if it's moving in the wrong direction. So many of us define ourselves by this stupid little number. Of course there are health reasons for losing weight and getting in shape, but there is so much more to us than just our weight. Dr. Phil asked this guy to list what he likes about himself, and he couldn't do it. He could rattle off a million things he wanted to change but couldn't see any of the positive things he has to offer.

I know this is true about myself and it needs to change. DBF always tells me that I am beautiful and that I need to stop obsessing so much over every little pound. I scrutinize Fitday for hours each week trying to find the "right" formula for me. I keep saying that I am going to get away from this, but I honestly do not know how. Any advice would be appreciated.

What I do want to take a second to do, though, (and I think it might be cool if others want to share their own), is to make a little list here about things that I like about myself. I think I need to remind myself of all the good things that I am and that it is not just about weight.

Here is what I like about me:
-I am a very passionate and emotional person.
-I love my family and DBF.
-I love being a teacher and helping my students learn to think and grow.
-I am honest and trustworthy.
-I am a good listener.
-I am organized and dependable.

Wow, that was actually kind of cool, even if it does seem kind of cheesy. I hope you are all having a wonderful day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 09:15

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default Need to get back on track...help!!

Hello

I have not posted here in a while, I have mainly lurked. I am currently at about 228 lbs. I have hovered between that and 230 lbs since mid April. I know LC works, but I seem to have gotten into a bit of a rut food wise. I mainly do Atkins and Protein Power, but have customized it to work for me, and thus far it has worked.

I have read so many things about the various spin-offs of LC dieting. South Beach intrigues me, but it sounds like a LF diet with some extra protein and less carbs. I have also looked at some LC programs where you don't count your veggies as carbs, and are allowed limited amounts each day. I have also thought about doing an induction, as I never did initially.

I have recently cut my hours at work. While working, I ate out at least one, if not more, meals per day. I think being at home more will help with this; perhaps that will be all I need.

Any suggestions?

Robin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 10:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi Robin!

It sounds like there's a lot of things affecting your current situation. First of all, it is a good thing that you've maintained your weight with your busy schedule. Having a hectic life makes it much more difficult to stay focused, especially if you are eating out a lot. You seem to be mentally ready to tackle losing again, which is important. What you seem to be looking for is what direction to take. I think what is really important is to truly identify what has caused your rut. If it is simply your busy schedule, then recomitting to your Protein Power/Atkins combo is probably the best route to take. If it is b/c you are truly not happy with this WOE, then there are many other options out there. I would ask yourself what it is that you truly want to eat, that will make your eating plan most liveable to you. Obviously, there is NO plan that will allow you to eat whatever you want, whenever you want it. But there are lots of LC variations. Here are a few that come to mind for me:

-Lean for Life:
Positives-allows fruit and/or grains for every meal daily from the start, eat 5-6 times during the day to balance blood sugar, lots of protein, very structured, quick weight loss, maintenance program closely resembles traditional lowfat diet
Negatives-very low calorie and low fat, very structured (some people need this, others need more freedom)

-CAD:
Positives-Helps control cravings, can eat any carb desired during daily reward meal as long as it is balanced with protein and veggies, reward meal can be altered to different times of the day for events such as weddings
Negatives-Only allowed to eat 4 times per day max, very low carb and low fat during all meals except reward meal (very limited in foods allowed during low carb low fat meals), reward meal must be consumed within 1 hour limit and be balanced, slow weight loss

-The Zone:
Positives-No foods are strictly forbidden at any time, eat 3 meals per day plus 2 snacks, very structured
Negatives-Relatively low fat and low calorie, very structured, may experience cravings at such high carb levels

-South Beach:
Positives-Allows reincorporation of healthy carbs in higher quantities and quicker than many other plans, not as structured, limits saturated fats (if you believe this is healthy, you will like this)
Negatives-Lack of structure? Too many carbs allowed? Are saturated fats the enemy?

These are just a few plans that I have read about, but certainly is not an all-inclusive list. Some people really want the fruit and not the fat. If that's the case, I would go with Lean for Life or the Zone. Some can do with the limited carbs and would prefer to eat more fat. Then I would do either Protein Power or Atkins. Let us know what you decide. We are here for you!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

Wendy, I agree we focus way to much on what the scale says and not the positive changes we have all made in ours lives as a result of changing our way of eating. Remember, we didn't put the weight on overnight so it won't come off overnight either. It truely is a day at day time, one step at a time. I know sometimes we take steps backwards but if we all persist we will be able to continue forward. ( I know cheesy)....

I to forgot to take into account lots of the things which I am thankful for from changing my WOL

1 The support of my husband, family and friends
2. I am much more assertive and stand up for myself
3. I like to look at myself in the mirror now
4. I do have great kids (even though they do drive me crazy at times
5. I am off of medication
6. I really do enjoy exercise
7. I have great faith in God and myself
8. I have found some really great new foods
9. Maybe some day I can wear a little black dress ( more a dream!!!)

Therese