Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-11, 15:21

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/260/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Cool posts on analogies.....the Matrix one and antifreeze one.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 09:37

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
Hey Patina !! where have you been??? 11 days since your last post!! Hope your doing well..we miss you!

I'm still here and doing well! I've been keeping busy with work and my head still buried in books, the latest has been the Berstein book that was suggested to me on this forum.

I was thinking the other day about how ignorant I've been over the years about the Diabetes T2 I have and even more ignorant about how best to manage it. The more I learn the more I am convinced I will be able to reverse it and eventually get off all these meds.

I just started the R-ALA & Evening Primrose oil regimen suggested by Dr. Bernstein to see if I see any benefit from that.

But for sure, at the basis of everything is to stay low carb and get my weight down.

I'm just over 3 weeks into LC'ing and it's going well. My family is following my lead and my son has lost 12 pounds, my daughter has lost 8 and my husband has lost 3 (he's still not ready to give up milk and toast!). I sort of gave everyone a choice of either coming along for the ride with me or not but I was going to be cooking low carb for myself and if they wanted to continue to eat carbs they'd be on their own in the meals department because I was not going to cook two different types of meals. (My two children still at home are 20 and 22 so they are completely capable of feeding themselves)

Thanks for checking on me Thomas! Hope all is well with you too!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 09:59

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%
Default Thank goodness for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
I'm still here and doing well! I've been keeping busy with work and my head still buried in books, the latest has been the Berstein book that was suggested to me on this forum.
Thanks for checking on me Thomas! Hope all is well with you too!

I was wondering whether you were OK too, and was looking you up to send a private message when I saw you had posted a few minutes ago. Glad you're doing well. Sounds like the whole family is.
The good thing about LC is that you can do it, cook appetizing food, and the rest of your family can supplement what they eat if they want. They want toast? No problem for you. Ditto, rice or pasta. It's not like you're making boneless skinless chicken breasts sprayed with Pam or anything. Lordy, I hate BSCBs. But I digress.
Glad you're well! I agree with you about how ignorant we are about diabetes and related matters (me, I caught it at the insulin resistance stage, but ten years too late). Why, a decade ago, when my blood pressure was up, my hdl was down, and my waistline was expanding, no-one said "wait, these are classic symptoms of insulin resistance and bigger problems down the road ...". Instead, I did my best to follow the standard LF/GC/EL/EM advice and I suffered for ten years with mood swings, osteoarthritis, surgery, insomnia, cravings and weight gain. It was only when I put my foot down, said NO to statins, got bloody angry, and researched like a maniac that I discovered that LC might work. And it has. But what of the people who can't figure out we here have discovered?
Anyway, glad you're still with us, Patina. Love your posts -- tell us what you're thinking!
C-rah
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 23:09

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

I can truly understand you having your head buried in books trying to figure it all out..when I got really serious about my diet in august,I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about low carb..But that's like swimming in the kiddie section of the pool..I have spent hours each day researching blogs,studies,articles and listening to podcasts and videos and there is so much to learn...I am swimming in the deep end now..So thrilled that your kids are following your lead and losing weight...Great for them to see you wanting to be healthy and strong..And yes I also believe that eventually I will be able to stop taking medication for my diabetes..We can all do this together! ((((HUGS))))