Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/154
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question New on the Plan

Can anyone please advise me on the following?

I am not used to measuring in cups. I prefer to weigh items. Is there a book in the UK that will tell me just how many carbs there are in items [such as the basic items to be used in the first 2 weeks] per ounce or gram.

Many thanks.

ps. This site is a God send to me. I have tried the plan before and failed but I know that with all the ideas that are on this site [such as where to buy food etc.] I will not fail to loose the weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:50

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi ACE
Im not in the UK. You may want to go to journal under L and look up Little Ann. She is a moderator and will be able to help you with things, plus I know she is in the UK.

you can also try www.fitday.com. You can sign up for free and put in the foods that you eat and then see how many carbs, fat, protein etc you eat everyday! It will break it down into grams and also percentages of total calories.

Hope this helps!
Vicki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:57

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help.
Ace
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 02:07

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Ace

Well I must thank Vicki for the plug. Now I am here!!!!!

I know what you mean about cups. I found this a nightmare at first. No I don't have a book, but this is how I got round the problem.

When I started I did not know about Fitday.com. This is a great site and I now use it all the time. The basic foods on there you can usually add in in ounces, provided you have a scale that will weight them, however, you can customise it and add things in grammes. I use a mixture of both.

But before then I got to inspect packets very carefully. I looked at meat to see if there were any carbs in it. Careful with sausages and beefburgers - you can get low carb ones, but many have lots of extra filler. On the vegetable front, Sainsburys does not tend to label its veggies and so what I did was went into the Sainsburys to Go and Tesco on line websites and looked up the product information for main stream items. I then kept a list at the back of my book of how many carbs each vegetable had per 100g. I still use that list today as I compare my own count with the carb count from Fitday.

I found the US carb values confusing at first as they tend to include fibre in the carb count which we do not in the UK. What you need to do is take the fibre away from the total carbs, in this case, to get the effective carbohydrate count (ECC). Fitday does this automatically for you when it does its calculations.

There is also a carb counter in the bar to the right of this forum. Have you used that at all. This uses 100g as the base measure so it will give you an idea of basic products.

Hope that helps and you enjoy low carbing. I have been on this lifestyle for over a year now and would not go back to old habits.

I see you are starting at the weight I hope to be this weekend when I weight. Mind you, you will probably get to your target long before I get to 154, if you stick to it.

Every success. Any other questions why not pop into my journal and ask.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:28

BF:
Thumbs up

This is a great help. This forum is just what I needed to survrive.

Ace [Alan]