Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 06:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Healthy Living Blogger has a Secret

Quote:
I’m a Healthy Living Blogger with a Secret… I got fat again. Let me just say that again… I’m a healthy living blogger with a secret… I got fat again. As I type out those words, I am overcome with a multitude of emotions. I feel sad that I let myself slip so far. I feel empowered that I am about to undergo a massive change and get back to a life full of health and wellness. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because my secret is out. I feel excited at the thought that this post may help someone going through the same thing. But mostly, I feel exposed and free to be my authentic self and share my story with others without fear, or insecurity. I am ready! I think people struggle with being candid and letting their secrets out because they feel like if they do, they are giving their power away. Life shouldn’t be a power struggle. I will gladly give all of my “power” away if this post helps even one person.

Followed by the long emotional summary of her journey...worth reading if you have to "come back" as so many of us have done, and so many times.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015...-fat-again.html

Quote:
This is Week 1 of my 52 week journey to lose 100 lbs. Did you read my “coming clean” post? I’m a Healthy Living Blogger with a Secret… I got Fat Again. After writing that post, the spirit of togetherness that I felt, was something I thought no longer existed in present day society. I was deeply touched by the flood of messages, comments, emails, phone calls and texts. It sort of blew my mind actually. It made me incredibly happy that I was able to touch so many people with my story. But, it also made me sad knowing how many people felt defeated and utterly alone. Well, I am here to tell you that we are all in this together.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015...urneyweek1.html

Followed by her exercise routine and food, she will post weekly. Personally I question her throwing herself back into a strenuous exercise regimen at her weight, but Cross-Fit meant a lot to her in the past. [if interested, Listen to Dr. Hallberg's approach to exercise at beginning of a weight loss journey at the 20 minute mark..it is none to start, and when the client is ready to exercise, then a maximum of 5 minutes a day! for the typical overweight patient in her clinic with joint pains and diabetes. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...orefront/25218]

Found this post this morning and thought it might be helpful here on this Emotional Issues sub-forum.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-14-15 at 11:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 06:19
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Wow thanks Janet for sharing this!

Gosh, that's the story of my past "Fat Jo" life...

I feel so sad for her because she did know what to do to stay healthy and it all slowly slipped away from her. Like it did countless times for me too over the past 3 decades. Our minds play such awful hurtful games in our heads!

I'm so glad she's going back to getting healthy again! Yeah I agree, her exercising seems a bit over the top...hope she knows what she's doing!

Thanks again!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 08:45

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

A very interesting story - I really hope she succeeds in losing the weight and keeping it off.
The fact that sub-titled her book "Comfort food recipes" is a bit of a red flag, I feel.
It's so easy to let things slip, especially if you see food as a comfort. It's something most of us grow up with and it's hard to get over it, especially when comfort is in short supply.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 08:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
. Personally I question her throwing herself back into a strenuous exercise regimen at her weight, but Cross-Fit meant a lot to her in the past.

Why do people think weight has anything to do with physicality for exercise? It's not all that related. You may think she should not simultaneously kick off weight loss and exercise, but she is not too fat to exercise by any stretch of the imagination.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
]Personally I question her throwing herself back into a strenuous exercise regimen at her weight, but Cross-Fit meant a lot to her in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Why do people think weight has anything to do with physicality for exercise? It's not all that related. You may think she should not simultaneously kick off weight loss and exercise, but she is not too fat to exercise by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks for posting this.

I saw it the other day and the Crossfit/exercise struck me also as a key aspect to her regain. I happen to think that relying on exercise to maintain weightloss is not a key to long term maintenance success. Its way more about permanent changes to diet with moderate exercise. Nothing moderate about Crossfit!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thanks for posting this.

I saw it the other day and the Crossfit/exercise struck me also as a key aspect to her regain. I happen to think that relying on exercise to maintain weightloss is not a key to long term maintenance success. Its way more about permanent changes to diet with moderate exercise. Nothing moderate about Crossfit!!

Yes, I believe this, too. But athletics are fun!

I just take issue with the idea that it's any different for a 120 pound person and a 220 pound person. Weight isn't really a factor.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 09:50
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Yes, I believe this, too. But athletics are fun!

I just take issue with the idea that it's any different for a 120 pound person and a 220 pound person. Weight isn't really a factor.

Fun for you! I actually hate exercise by itself.

When I was 250-270, I played competitive tennis in a USTA league locally. I played in the 4.0 level which is fairly good. The extra weight I carried caused me to have foot injuries due to the stress. Stress fractures, pulled tendons, knee issues.

You are an anomaly with your ability to run long distances. Good for you!
That's not the case for many severely overweight people.

Besides, this entire post is about weight loss regained.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 10:13

BF:

Quote:
Fun for you! I actually hate exercise by itself.

When I was 250-270, I played competitive tennis in a USTA league locally. I played in the 4.0 level which is fairly good. The extra weight I carried caused me to have foot injuries due to the stress. Stress fractures, pulled tendons, knee issues.

You are an anomaly with your ability to run long distances. Good for you!
That's not the case for many severely overweight people.

Besides, this entire post is about weight loss regained.

I think you just always thought it was about your weight, but thin people have the same kinds of injuries - they are just less likely to attribute it to weight. And they are just as likely to gain a pot belly from overtraining. I've seen it a million times. I don't run long distances anymore but it's because of a nerve thing I inherited from my mother, not any injuries related to my weight. I mean, I was never athletic and don't have an athletic build at all. I know women who compete at very high weights and never develop an injury at all, in really strenuous things like Ironman triathlons. I do believe it's way more about an individual's physiology than carrying extra weight. In weightlifting, extra weight is rewarded, in fact, as in many other sports.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 10:20
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I think you just always thought it was about your weight, but thin people have the same kinds of injuries - they are just less likely to attribute it to weight. And they are just as likely to gain a pot belly from overtraining. I've seen it a million times. I don't run long distances anymore but it's because of a nerve thing I inherited from my mother, not any injuries related to my weight. I mean, I was never athletic and don't have an athletic build at all. I know women who compete at very high weights and never develop an injury at all, in really strenuous things like Ironman triathlons. I do believe it's way more about an individual's physiology than carrying extra weight. In weightlifting, extra weight is rewarded, in fact, as in many other sports.

Sorry but it was my weight. I'm not going to argue this point with you. This is what happened to me. I've played since my weight loss and its been a very different experience for my body. My body was not meant to carry that much excess weight and it had trouble holding up under it. Before I lost, I also walked for my work daily. I had lots of hip, back and foot pain. It was a struggle to get through my days. I've been walking all these almost 10 years since I lost and nary a pain. So yeah, I attribute it to the weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 10:39

BF:

Quote:
Sorry but it was my weight. I'm not going to argue this point with you. This is what happened to me. I've played since my weight loss and its been a very different experience for my body. My body was not meant to carry that much excess weight and it had trouble holding up under it. Before I lost, I also walked for my work daily. I had lots of hip, back and foot pain. It was a struggle to get through my days. I've been walking all these almost 10 years since I lost and nary a pain. So yeah, I attribute it to the weight.

Oh, that makes sense! Yes, it was your weight, then .
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 10:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't find athletics fun either. I have recently started walking daily and I am enjoying it. At 245 pounds I had severe foot pain and walking like I do now would not have been possible. Certainly thin people get injured too and some fat people are able to exercise without any significant injury. Still, I know, that walking while fat was a painful experience for me. I lost all the weight without exercise. It is only now, 105 pounds less, that daily exercise has become something I feel I can do and even look forward too.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 10:57

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:

I think it depends on the exercise, especially with a multi-varied activity like CrossFit. On the rower, a fat person will be fighting their belly as they stroke. A heavier person is going to have a harder time with pullups or muscleups. A heavier person is going to have more joint impact during running or some of the Olympic lifting movements. An obese heavy person (as opposed to a low BF heavy person) is likely going to have less cardio ability.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 11:20
Attitude is a Choice

Getting back to my original point on weight loss maintenance......IMO, the way we lost it will require that same stuff to keep it off. Meaning, if you lost it doing crossfit with a low carb diet, if you ever stop doing crossfit and indulge just a little, you will regain.

The whole point of creating a solid plan is to be able to continue it long term after you've lost the weight. Do what you'll be able to keep doing.

Being highly motivated to lose excess weight can easily be a factor in doing something like crossfit. Once that weight is gone, you'll need to find a new motivation to keep doing it. Its requires a lot of time and dedication and once that weight is gone, interest wanes.

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Aug-14-15 at 11:27.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 11:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I didn't exercise for the first 4 months of this WOE. After I'd lost about 65 pounds I did start a walking regiment. It was painful. I had sore feet, sciatica and a very weak and sore lower back. Walking was not fun and not easy; and things got worse before they got better. Weight was a factor. How could it not be? I was still 375 pounds and moving at a snails pace -- but I was moving.

As hard as it was when I first started, the pain and physical exertion was tolerable and I made progress rather quickly. It was not weight loss progress. It was about feeling more fit and being able to do more. When I started in May 2014 I could barely walk a mile. By the end of the summer I was walking at a better clip and could easily do 3 miles. Over that time, my rate of loss actually slowed down. I'd lost faster before I started walking. But the exercise was therapeutic and rejuvenating. I could do more of life's regular activities and I was having less pain. By the end of the summer I'd lost 35 more pounds and was feeling like a new man. As the pain started to subside, I started enjoying my daily walks more and more each day - even at 340 pounds.

In December 2014 I broke my foot. I was just walking. One little hop from the parking lot to the curb snapped one metatarsal and cracked two others. The Ped Dr. said there was nothing wrong with my bones. It was just a little too much stress and the right set of circumstances. It happens. But again, I'm sure my weight (310 or so) was a factor. Still, this does not mean that I shouldn't have been walking. There is no way to know for sure, but I think I am farther along health wise because I have been doing regular exercise within my capabilities. Jogging at 300+ pounds may have been within my capabilities, too. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it and it certainly would have put excessive stress on my back, feet, and other joints. I don't think it would have been a smart thing to do at my weight. I don't have any notable problems with my feet, knees, and hip joints. I'd like to keep it that way. Walking works just fine for me.

I see diet as the means to weight loss and exercise as the means for getting fit, getting stronger, and feeling healthier. I think diet can make exercise more beneficial and certainly can help with the pain. Exercise + a bad diet is beneficial, too. Just don't expect to lose weight from it (especially if your insulin resistant). I'm a firm believer in the notion that "You cannot outrun a bad diet.". But I also believe what Dr. Atkins says about exercise... that it is "non-negotiable." A good diet and regular activity make for a healthier you.

I walk regularly at a local middle school track. There are several regulars that go there and a couple of groups that do intense workouts with a fitness trainer. They have been doing it for months and I actually feel a little sorry for the heavier participants. I don't see any progress with their weight. They are working hard at it and from what I see they do appear to be more fit than when they first started. They jog faster and get more of a workout in during their hour long session. I'm sure they are doing it to shed a few pounds. That does not appear to be happening. They keep busting their butts and I just keep walking circles around them.

I have lost over 30 pounds since the fitness trainer sessions got started. Their trainer has noticed and has thrown out some nice comments to me as I walk by. Maybe one day one of the participants will ask me what I'm doing. You know me... If they ask, I'll have plenty to say.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Aug-14-15 at 12:25.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 12:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Getting back to my original point on weight loss maintenance......IMO, the way we lost it will require that same stuff to keep it off. Meaning, if you lost it doing crossfit with a low carb diet, if you ever stop doing crossfit and indulge just a little, you will regain.

The whole point of creating a solid plan is to be able to continue it long term after you've lost the weight. Do what you'll be able to keep doing.

Being highly motivated to lose excess weight can easily be a factor in doing something like crossfit. Once that weight is gone, you'll need to find a new motivation to keep doing it. Its requires a lot of time and dedication and once that weight is gone, interest wanes.

In her case, after reaching goals of a healthy weight and being certified as a Cross-Fit trainer, then being asked to "leave that tribe", she just stopped exercising. Completely. She is also offered a cookbook deal, and while creating new LC recipes, she is instead eating more and more "bad meals". As Gretchen Rubin wrote, goals are tricky things, there needs to be another reason beyond that one goal once reached. Even someone with a gym in her garage and writing a LC cookbook could regain 60-100 pounds once the Cross-Fit was taken from her and the deal inked. She had a fragile hold on all the health and wellness she had achieved.

About exercise, Dr Hallberg, an exercise physiologist before becoming an obesity doctor, said in her interview that for most of her patients who do arrive with hip, knee and back pain, she considers exercise "dangerous". They do no exercise until they are ready, and then only 5 minutes a day. That part at the 20 minute mark. This blogger's regain was so rapid I wonder about stress on her joints and back, but if you don't have any, then exercise like Ken. Walking is great...Just not a fan of Cross-Fit at this point...another all or nothing approach...plus with an exact goal weight on an exact date...her birthday in one year. Seems she is set to repeat a pattern.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-14-15 at 12:38.