Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 13:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 178/151/145 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 82%
Question Questions -- agave and Indian food

Hello all. I had this board recommended to me by a friend a few days ago, and thought I'd pop on to see if you guys knew anything about these things that I've been wondering about the South Beach plan.

1) I read something yesterday about agave nectar as a substitute for honey. It was being flogged to diabetics, and one of the claims made was that it was slow to absorb, so didn't spike the GI. Has anybody else heard of this, and whether agave might be a good choice for later stage SB eating? (I'm a honey junkie, and while agave nectar isn't quite as appealing as the real golden stuff, it would do.)

2) Does anybody have a recommendation about eating Indian food? I'm also all about the occasional curry, but the curry concept doesn't seem to have occurred to Dr. Agatston. Some lovely person posted a recipe for coconut milk curry with shrimp, and I will be eating that, oh yes, but it's more of a Thai-style dish. I'd like to work out what I can eat when I go to the Indian restaurant -- I know you can't have any of the traditional curry substrates (rice, or flatbread of any kind), but can you have the curry itself? I think vindaloo is out because it's definitely got potatoes in, and you can't have raisins so much until Phase II, so that lets out some of the other curries, but other than that, I'm not sure what's in a curry, so it's hard to tell. Pakora, I think, should be okay, because it's just either veggies or meat or both in a chickpea batter (yeah, I know, you're not supposed to eat stuff that's deep-fried, but I don't think it will kill me every once in a while), and chickpea flour seems to be not a problem. Other than that, I don't know. Does anybody have any input on that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 15:15

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by -o-
Hello all. I had this board recommended to me by a friend a few days ago, and thought I'd pop on to see if you guys knew anything about these things that I've been wondering about the South Beach plan.

1) I read something yesterday about agave nectar as a substitute for honey. It was being flogged to diabetics, and one of the claims made was that it was slow to absorb, so didn't spike the GI. Has anybody else heard of this, and whether agave might be a good choice for later stage SB eating? (I'm a honey junkie, and while agave nectar isn't quite as appealing as the real golden stuff, it would do.)

2) Does anybody have a recommendation about eating Indian food? I'm also all about the occasional curry, but the curry concept doesn't seem to have occurred to Dr. Agatston. Some lovely person posted a recipe for coconut milk curry with shrimp, and I will be eating that, oh yes, but it's more of a Thai-style dish. I'd like to work out what I can eat when I go to the Indian restaurant -- I know you can't have any of the traditional curry substrates (rice, or flatbread of any kind), but can you have the curry itself? I think vindaloo is out because it's definitely got potatoes in, and you can't have raisins so much until Phase II, so that lets out some of the other curries, but other than that, I'm not sure what's in a curry, so it's hard to tell. Pakora, I think, should be okay, because it's just either veggies or meat or both in a chickpea batter (yeah, I know, you're not supposed to eat stuff that's deep-fried, but I don't think it will kill me every once in a while), and chickpea flour seems to be not a problem. Other than that, I don't know. Does anybody have any input on that?

Thanks!

Hi there

With regard to the agave nectar, according to the official SB site:

Quote:
You may use agave nectar if you would like. If you do use it, it must be counted toward your Sweet Treats allowance of 75-100 calories per day.

Marilyn Jess, Registered Dietitian

So, going by that, it can be used in all Phases. I haven't tried it myself, but I may do in future.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you take a look at the South Beach Diet Food Lists and Meal Plan Charts thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=254313

As for Indian food, it's a favourite of mine, and I often eat it

Here's an excerpt from a recent edition of the South Beach Daily Dish free email newsletter, which should help you with the correct choices to make:

Quote:
Indian food is based on good carbs, particularly legumes like chickpeas and lentils, and veggies such as spinach and eggplant. The downside is its abundance of starchy carbs (like potatoes) and bad fats. Many appetizers are deep-fried, and vegetables and meats are typically fried or sauteed in the Indian butter called ghee.

Still, most Indian restaurants provide several tasty choices for the South Beach dieter. Try Mulligatawny soup, dals (legume dishes-choose those without cream), chana (chickpea curry), kachumbars (vegetable salads), raitas (salads with a tart yogurt dressing), or dishes described on the menu as masala (a combination of spices with sauteed tomatoes and onions) or tandoori (seasoned meat, poultry, or fish roasted in a clay oven).

Stay away from Samosas (deep-fried pastry filled with vegetables or meat); puri (a puffy, deep-fried bread); and entrees described as biryani, malai, or korma, which are heavy on the oil and cream.

Have you checked out the South Beach Recipe thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...714#post6665714
If you scroll up the page you will find a recipe index, and there are several Indian dishes featured. Check out foxgluv's Chicken Tikka Masala for instance.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 12:41

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

I wonder why it's counted as sweet treats and not as fruit, allowance wise. It's mainly fructose.

Any ideas?
2/3
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 12:21

BF:

Yeah, it's mostly fructose, but so is honey, right? I'm guessing it's sweets not fruit because it has no fiber. Of course, I know very little about the stuff, so it's a pretty wild guess.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 12:31

BF:

Incidentally, I had a very excellent couple of curry meals in the last few days, and am now convinced that I can live on this plan long-term. The availability of curry makes up for a vast number of sacrifices. I'll be trying foxgluv's recipe next week.

Thanks for the tips, everybody!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 18:09

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

Honey is quite high in glucose as well as fructose. But I think what you say about the fibre may be right. At least it makes sense to me.

As for the curries, I discovered, from the first time I did SBD, that indian restaurants are quite easy.

You can always have some thing done in the oven or grill - tandoori or shaslik dishes with a couple of sides. I usually have cauliflower and chickpeas.

2/3