Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/295/225 Male 5ft 11"
BF:
Progress:
Default And here I am back again...

Good morning friends,

My name is Scooter. Its been many years since I was on this forum. I lost over 70 pounds back in the early 2000's. My family ended up moving to Las Vegas where my wife and I have been the last 9 years. Sadly, two months ago I lost her to lung cancer. It happened so quickly. But 2017/2018 were not kind to my health as well. I went from 250/260/295, and I have to do something about my weight now, or not be here for our children (all grown up, but still refer to them as children. I am 55 years old (56 in two months). I am 5ft 11inches. I know the days of weighing 179 pounds will never happen again. My first goal is to lose at least 50 pounds. So wish me luck in this crazy journey. Nice to meet you all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 12:06

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

You can do it, Scooterjam. I'm sorry for your loss of your wife, and I'm glad you're back here with us. I'm Meg, in my seventies, in the very slow process of losing half my starting weight.

You might want to start a journal for more personal interactions.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 16:07

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I wish you luck Scooter. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. We can all be tempted to overeat but if we think of how our life will improve when we lose lbs then it makes it easier not to indulge in too many carbs. Good luck, you can do it. You did it before so you can do it again. Have a great lc day. Jools16 😊
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 17:24

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your kind words! I actually couldn't wait to get started yesterday. Purged the fridge, freezer and pantry of almost everything bad! My son and my daughter in law live with me, so we are all doing it together! Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 17:30

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Welcome back Scooter! Condolences on your loss.

It sounds like you are off to a strong start by purging the fridge, freezer, and pantry. I'm glad to see you have the support of family living with you! That should make it easier to stick to it: boost each other up.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-18, 19:43

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome Scooter and deepest condolences on the loss of your wife. You're wise to realize that your children (even tho grown) still need you. So happy that you have your son and DIL close by and supporting you.

Don't be too sure that "onederland" (under 200 lbs) is out of your reach. Amazing things often happen on LC.

Looking forward to getting to know you and watching your LC journey.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-18, 03:23

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Morning and welcome. First let me say I'm very sorry for your loss, so young, and so unfair.

You have made the first and hardest choice by coming back to the forum, take your time, look around, read, read and then read some more. surround yourself with US, we are all here for the same reason and the thing that I find most important, we don't judge, we don't criticize, we offer support and encouragement, sometimes you have to ask, but we are here for ya. As Meg suggested, I too think a Journal is a great idea, it is a safe place for you to vent your feelings, celebrate your successes and meet and chat with friends. My Journal is a life saver for me. So, stop by sometime, I love company.

Best of Luck to you on this new adventure, remember one day at a time, have a positive day, ttys
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-18, 04:23

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome. I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. Glad you have son and dil living with you, versus being alone.

Best wishes as you get the dietary changes (and mindset) going. Don't give up on the one hundreds either.

I may have failed maintenance, but I did get back to where I wanted to be, persistence does pay off. I lost 216 pounds during my late 50s, so don't be deterred by starting this again at your current age.

Wonderful resources on this site!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-18, 14:37

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I am sorry to hear about your wife. This may just be the push you need to get healthy. My husband had a stroke and open heart surgery and that gave us the needed push to get and stay that way. Good luck on your journey
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-18, 08:09

Plan: Keto/Paleo
Stats: 237/194/185 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterjam
Good morning friends,

My name is Scooter. Its been many years since I was on this forum. I lost over 70 pounds back in the early 2000's. My family ended up moving to Las Vegas where my wife and I have been the last 9 years. Sadly, two months ago I lost her to lung cancer. It happened so quickly. But 2017/2018 were not kind to my health as well. I went from 250/260/295, and I have to do something about my weight now, or not be here for our children (all grown up, but still refer to them as children. I am 55 years old (56 in two months). I am 5ft 11inches. I know the days of weighing 179 pounds will never happen again. My first goal is to lose at least 50 pounds. So wish me luck in this crazy journey. Nice to meet you all

Condolences on the passing of your wife.

First of all, do not impose a limit on what you can do before you actually try. I am but a mere two years younger than you and at 6'2'' have been in the 230 - 240 pound range all of my adult life. I started LC about 6 months ago and just crossed the sub-200 pound mark last night. You can do this! Second, just find a plan that works for you (sounds like you have done this at least once before) and stick with it. Ignore the 'highs' and 'lows'; just don't stop.

Finally, walk (or an exercise regimen that works for you). Instead of eating, go for walk, exercise, get away from the danged fridge! You got this. You can do it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-18, 09:56

BF:
Progress:

Great information folks! Today was weigh day. 7 pounds down. 288 sound a whole heck of lot better than 295! Thank you for all your kind words and support!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-18, 11:21

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Scooter, I am very sorry for your loss. You are stronger than you know, and congrats on your great start! You’ve got this!

I am “come-back” also, and finding it just as easy the second time around. I feel so much better already, and I know you will too!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-18, 14:16

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Congrats Scooter on your 7 lb loss. Fantastic!! You can do it. 😊
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 03:25

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Congratulations on the loss!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 11:40

BF:
Progress:

Thank you! I am reading all these posts around here. Amazing support group! Everyone is amazing!!