Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 04:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default How to Lower Cholesterol...new post by Dr Eades

Today received new blog post by Dr Michael Eades, that basically explains how to use the strategy from Dave Feldman's work on making short term diet changes (increasing fats) to lower your cholesterol numbers. Sounds crazy...but check this out.

Quote:
How to lower your cholesterol
using diet to keep your doctor off your back

by Michael Eades

The most common question I get asked via comments on this blog and email is how to lower cholesterol levels and/or LDL levels. People asking this question have usually just gotten a high cholesterol reading of one kind or another and have heard the pronouncement from their doctor: You need to go on a statin.

The funny thing is, most of the people asking me this question probably have read more than their own doctors have about statins. They don’t want to start taking an expensive drug with a lot of side effects and even the potential for causing death.

But, they also don’t want to confront their doctor.

They figure the best way to deal with the situation is to figure out a way to lower their cholesterol some other way, so their doctor will leave them alone about statins. Usually they cut the fat in their diet or more rigidly adhere to their low-carb diet or whatever diet they happen to be on. They go back to their doc a couple of months later, expecting significantly improved labs, but typically discover their cholesterol levels even higher.

There is a solution.

In case you’re not one of the people in this situation, let me give you an example of what these emails look like. Here is a message I got a few days ago from one of the few high school classmates I keep up with.

Longish article...continue at link ...

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...ur-cholesterol/

If you are new to Dr Mike's blog writing style...loved this little paragraph.

Quote:
Since I’ve used the example above, I’ve got to digress for a bit to tell you something that always slays me. Have you ever noticed that if you go out to lunch with friends and have the whole hog Big Mac meal with fries and everything, no one really says anything to you? But if you don’t order the fries, and you throw away the bun and eat only the patties and the little lettuce, tomato, and whatever comes with it, people say, Oh, you’re on one of those crazy low-carb diets. Don’t you know those will wreck your kidneys, and all that fat will clog your arteries? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard it.

Okay, digression over.

Btw, Dave Feldman collected more Crowd Sourced Data prior to his presentation at that KetoFest in CT earlier this month. I saw snippets of it on social media, and believe the theory held on average...a few outliers. I don't follow his work closely since I don't bother with cholesterol tests anymore, but someone interested should be able to find an update.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jul-26-17 at 04:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 08:51

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Janet,

Thank you, more than you could know, I think this could change my life. Lots of parts for me to put together (my own particular genetics and cholesterol), including fully understanding a ketogenic diet vs what has always worked for me - calp, and if I can meld the two, etc. etc. etc.

Just thank you...best video on this topic that I have seen (granted, I don't watch many on this topic).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 08:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Dr. Eade's scenario where you go low carb, appetite diminishes, you eat less total fat for a while than you started and ldl cholesterol goes up is interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10539776

Another scenario where ldl cholesterol goes up after decreasing saturated fat intake. Just for illustrative purposes;

Quote:
Fasting increases serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B in healthy, nonobese humans.

Sävendahl L1, Underwood LE.
Author information
Abstract
Voluntary fasting is practiced by many humans in an attempt to lose body weight. Conflicting results have been published on the effects of food deprivation on serum lipids. To study the effect of acute starvation on serum lipids, 10 nonobese (93-124% of ideal body weight), healthy adults (6 men, 4 women, 21-38 y old) fasted (no energy) for 7 d. Fasting increased total serum cholesterol from 4.90 +/- 0.23 to 6.73 +/- 0.41 mmol/L (37.3 +/- 5.0%; P < 0.0001) and LDL cholesterol from 2.95 +/- 0.21 to 4.90 +/- 0.36 mmol/L (66.1 +/- 6. 6%; P < 0.0001). Serum apolipoprotein B (apo B) increased from 0.84 +/- 0.06 to 1.37 +/- 0.11 g/L (65.0 +/- 9.2%; P < 0.0001). The increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B were associated with weight loss. Fasting did not affect serum concentrations of triacylglycerol and HDL cholesterol. Serum concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) decreased from 246 +/- 29 (prefast) to 87 +/- 10 microg/L after 1 wk of fasting (P < 0.0001). We conclude that, in nonobese subjects, fasting is accompanied by increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B concentrations, whereas IGF-I levels are decreased.

Dropping fat intake to zero increases ldl by two thirds, presumably due to changes in fat-trafficking requirements. Increased apoB/particle count makes sense, when dietary fat is high, triglycerides are primarily delivered by chylomicrons, these are the biggest, fluffiest lipoprotein molecules of all, the ratio of ApoB to triglycerides delivered would be lowest.

But somebody out on the web will be along to warn us about chylomicron remnants sooner or later in connection to Dave's findings.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 03:25

Patricia,
Happy to know this blog post helped you. I should have added Dave's own blog, which does have the updates from his recent crowd source experiment. http://cholesterolcode.com

Though for some people cutting back on the saturated fats and sticking to more mono-unsaturated fats also works...i.e. doing what the Low Carb Dietitian recommended to get LDL down. That's what I did last time, being especially careful the 5 days before the draw, so IDK! You can get the basic lipid panel cheap from a direct lab so one idea would be to practice these hacks ahead of a doctor visit.

Teaser, the thing about Dave's hacks is that they are so short term..would five days of those remnants hurt us?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 03:57

BF:

Considering the amount of fat I eat, I'm sort of hoping the remnants don't hurt me long-term.

I'm pretty sure heart disease takes a little more than five days to develop, though.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 19:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Great thread!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 04:13

Dave Feldman is Everywhere now...a guest on ZDoggMD show!
Nerdy but fun

Did a Citizen-Scientist Crack the Cholesterol Code?

http://zdoggmd.com/against-medical-advice-019/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/citizen-...holesterol-code

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-24-17 at 04:53.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 05:31

BF:

Dave talks with Zdogg about energy intake in general. That's something I've wondered about. Take a very high carb, low fat diet. Not only are you giving an energy source during feeding that suppresses release of fat from fat cells, and thus the need for ldl trafficking--but during fasting, replete glycogen competes with stored fat as a fuel source. So some fruitarian may report eating 30 bananas a day and have "marvelously" low ldl cholesterol, while eating practically no fat, it's almost inevitable I think that somebody will claim that this refutes Dave's idea when it might actually support it. Of course this will only work if somebody is healthy enough to accomplish the near total suppression of lipolysis appropriate to that probably inappropriate diet choice.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 03:07

Good point...Dave's entire Systems approach to cholesterol as a Dynamic Energy System is fascinating. It fits right into the Cholesterol Skeptics approach http://www.thincs.org/posts.php one blood draw really doesn't mean much...if anything.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 04:44

If you want to get all nerdy about blood tests, a new post on Dave's website explaining each of the tests http://cholesterolcode.com/lab-testing/
Some have links to Amy Berger's posts on why, want they mean, etc. Since so few doctors order fasting insulin, her explanation of that one is good. https://www.headsuphealth.com/blog/...g-insulin-test/
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 17:02
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

thanks for the posts- great info and links.
E
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 12:36

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJsqrUKaEa0

Another anecdote, this one in a fellow who won a bodybuilding contest. During the cut he ate 1600 calories, strictly keto, he doubled his calories during the three weeks post-show--and reports his ldl plummeting.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 12:45

BF:

Sort of off-topic, but also, during the cut he went down to 65 grams of protein a day, sort of goes against the grain of the idea that a bit extra is needed on a ketogenic diet in order to fuel gluconeogenesis. I'm not built like this guy, but my own experience is that if my lean mass is going to wither away with similar amounts of protein, it seems to be taking its own sweet time about it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 11:24

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pybQjVeiQ

Dave Feldman's latest video on youtube. He experimented with adding in a bit of carbohydrate leading up to a blood test--and his results fit my wondering about carbs/glycogen being as effective as fat, he got his lowest ldl reading yet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 07:55

Another great video which could be summed up as we have been "cluless about the real function of cholesterol" all along. Which reminds me that all the doctor "cholesterol experts" who have weighed in recently on Trump's LDL level are still 100% clueless.