Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 13:27

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%
Default Calculating ideal weight after shrinking

I am trying to figure out my ultimate goal but I don't know if I should calculate it based on my original height or after losing 2 inches due to aging.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 13:54

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

???

Hi!

I think your ultimate goal should be based on how you look, and on how you feel. We all look different, often at the same exact weight, as the years pass - and that's even without any height change!

However, if you do want a ballpark figure based on a calculation you do in advance, personally, I would definitely go with whatever your actual height is now!! .... hence my slight confusion and mild surprise even at the question.

We can't really, any of us, be calculating anything based on heights we are not, realistically, can we?

Again though just to encourage you - your final goal I think should be based on how you look and feel, and not on some calculation you've tried to make in advance.

You should know when you feel and look great!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 14:12

I guess I want to know at what weight I can expect the fat in my belly to disappear. I realize it is just a guesstimate but I do like numbers.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Depends on your age whether or not it will disappear at all, you know. As we age, we women start to resemble men in our ability to hold fat in the midsection.

It has, I'm sure, shrunk by now. But, if you're like me, not nearly as much as you were used to. Back in my 30's, when I first lost a significant amount of weight, post four babies and a divorce, I first lost in my girls, then my tummy, then my hips and finally my thighs.

This time, it was my hips, a little in the belly, then the thighs, a little more in the belly, and finally, just a bit in the girls.

Are you, right now, 5'10", or was that prior to shrinkage? I used to be 5'6". Now I'm 5'4 1/2", and that, sadly, is what I need to choose my weight for. At 5'6" and 150, I was strong and proportional. I was slender at 135.

But at the age of 65, even shorter, I know that my proportions will stay different, and I'll never again, short of starvation, see a 24" waist again. Right now, it's at 28", down from 34". I'll take that, and a little more, as I stroll, ever so slowly, toward my goal.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 18:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Depends what you mean by "ideal". I've always considered the term "ideal" to refer to health and could never understand why my weight would have to fall just because I shrunk a bit but that doesn't seem to be the consensus here. Actually I don't believe a few pounds one way or the other makes much difference. If it makes you happy then it's ideal. In truth the term "ideal" doesn't seem to have any concrete meaning. Everyone wants to get to their "ideal" weight but no one can define what it means or how to measure it. I say stick to this way of eating and be satisfied with where it gets you.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 18:15

Thanks for your response, MickiSue. I am 69, almost 70 and have shrunk 1 1/2 inches to 5 foot 8 1/2 inches. It has become important to me to set goals for myself on my weight loss journey and two important ones are "out of obese range" and "out of overweight range". The goals I have set are based on 5'10" but I wondered if that is the height I should be using.

So now that am finally losing weight I want to be realistic about my goals. I know how I need to look to wear the styles of clothes that I like (tailored with fitted waists) but don't know if I can get there. My weight is all from my bust to my thighs so I can't wear anything with a waist right now as I don't have one. I don't know if I make sense but I think that is why weight goals are so important to me weight=shape and a ten pound difference will end up at my waist. Also I feel it is important how I will look next spring when I go on the road to sell my leather jewelry at trade shows.

To some the numbers are not important but I think in numbers, always have. If I don't have numbers I get really stressed out. I should have been a CPA or something!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 20:00

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi JAnn. I get what you're saying and I am a CPA! Haha. I don't know the answer for certain, but it makes sense to me that you'd use the higher number to start. Shrinking is usually due to loss of cartilidge in the spine, so why would your total weight goal change for something that is so light? If it were me, I would begin higher and adjust it lower later if I wasn't happy with the result.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 20:18

Thanks, Ccat, that is what I'm going to do.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

One trigger event for me to get a grip to lose weight was seeing Obese post-menopausal female on my medical record. if my doctor records a shorter height, then I will adjust my BMI goals. The label obese or overweight is not a judgement call...BMI appears after nurse enters current height and weight into the medical record and for me, at 5’9” it correlates pretty well with a healthy waist size too.
A different issue from whether or not BMI is a valid marker for health. Sure your doctor would be thrilled if your weight settled anywhere around a normal BMI even based on 5’10”. I think waist half of height is a better and simpler marker of health, unfortunately the AMA and Epic electronic medical records system has other ideas.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-02-16 at 06:52.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
One trigger event for me to get a grip to lose weight was seeing Obese post-menopausal female on my medical record. if my doctor records a shorter height, then I will adjust my BMI goals.
Good suggestions, Janet.
Quote:
I think waist half of height is a better and simpler marker of health, unfortunately the AMA and Epic electronic medical records system has other ideas.
I agree but since the waist is the last place I'm losing it, it is not a marker telling me if I am losing. At one point this last month I was down 7 pounds but no change in my waist measurement.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If it matters, my opinion is pretty much based on the current reality. My height is my height, and, short of spending large amounts of time in bed, there's nothing, at this point, that will increase it.

If I drop to 5'4", well, that's the height I'll be, then, and the way I look WILL be different if I assume that I should look the way I did at the same weight when I was 5'6".

I pay attention to weight. But, like Jean, health is most important, as is the way that I feel in my skin. It took me to the point where I am currently, a little more than 6 lbs from goal, for my body image to get to the point where I feel both healthy AND attractive.

I know that my belly won't be flat, if only because, having stretched it as much as I did, the loose skin will take up extra room. And, d/t age, it will never shrink down entirely. LOL, the stretch marks from four kids made that a certainty, over 30 years ago!

You CAN wear the type of clothes that you yearn for, just find ways to modify them, and ask for help.

Maybe, find a personal shopper for the next time you need new clothes (soon, as you are losing!) and ask for tips to be able to wear tailored items and look attractive.

I remember watching, years ago, an episode of "What Not To Wear", when the person being made over had the most amazing barrel shape. She actually had attractive legs and arms, but a very large middle.

By the end of the program, though, the style and shape ideas that she'd gotten from Clinton and Stacy changed my perception of her body. She didn't look slender, but she looked great, just by playing up what was great about her body, and minimizing what wasn't.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
If it matters, my opinion is pretty much based on the current reality. My height is my height, and, short of spending large amounts of time in bed, there's nothing, at this point, that will increase it.
I'm not so sure about that. While in my late 30's I was measured at a doctor's office and found that I had lost a half inch. that evening I spect several hours in the pool doing laps. I had to go back to the Dr's the next day and decided to measure myself again. I had gained back that half inch and stayed that way for years! I wonder how it would affect me now.

Quote:
where I am currently, a little more than 6 lbs from goal
And how did you come up with that goal number?

Quote:
You CAN wear the type of clothes that you yearn for, just find ways to modify them, and ask for help.

Maybe, find a personal shopper for the next time you need new clothes (soon, as you are losing!) and ask for tips to be able to wear tailored items and look attractive.

I remember watching, years ago, an episode of "What Not To Wear", when the person being made over had the most amazing barrel shape. She actually had attractive legs and arms, but a very large middle.

By the end of the program, though, the style and shape ideas that she'd gotten from Clinton and Stacy changed my perception of her body. She didn't look slender, but she looked great, just by playing up what was great about her body, and minimizing what wasn't.
I studied fashion merchandising in college and have been sewing since age 8 so I have a lot of that covered. Second opinions are always valued, of course. I have been told that I look great in clothes that I hate to wear so I really need to get back into styles I feel comfortable in.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 14:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I had shrunk half an inch when I was at my heaviest, but gained it back when I got back to normal weight for my height, even though I was post-menopause. The excess weight must have been pulling down on my vertebrae making me shorter. The weight I chose as my first goal weight was one pound below the "obese" cutoff for my height, so I would be merely "overweight".
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-16, 16:42

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have also heard that height can be restored somewhat by stretching the spine (inversion tables). My husband has one for his spine issues. It helps him sometimes, but makes me too dizzy, not that I need it.

I love "What Not to Wear!" They show some really amazing transformations for women of all sizes. I need to find it. It's been a while.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

They wrote a book Dress your Best back in 2010, and Stacy London wrote another by herself in 2012. Might find them in library or used books.