Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-14, 04:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Is it possible to recover from Hypothyroidism?

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt asks that question today, and is conducting an on-line poll for answers, a new way to gather crowd-sourced medical experiences.
Here's the story, his results with patients so far, and a one question poll.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/possible-...-hypothyroidism

Quote:
Is it possible to recover from hypothyroidism? Most people on thyroid hormone treatment need to continue this for the rest of their lives. Here’s a story about an exception named Julia:

The Email Hi Andreas, I just want to let you know that I’ve recovered from hypothyroidism since starting LCHF. I started to eat LCHF in August last year and had lost 44 lbs (20 kg) by the end of the year. After this I started to phase out my Levothyroxine medication and am now free from medication and my labs are just keep getting better and better (I draw blood every six weeks). I hope this can inspire and give others hope, as I know that there are many people out there struggling with both hypothyroidism and obesity! Sincerely, Julia

Commentary Congratulations, Julia! This is not a common story in my experience. Most people who are treated with Levothyroxine medication (thyroid hormone) and start an LCHF diet still need to take their medication. Some may indeed need to reduce their dose considerably, but others may even have to increase it. And many stay on approximately the same dose. But there are always exceptions. In Julia’s case, it’s possible that the substantial weight loss contributed to a reduction in the amount of hormone needed. Perhaps the body’s own production is enough. Or she may have had an inflammation in her thyroid, which healed after she started eating LCHF. Perhaps the diet change contributed, but it’s difficult to know for sure.

Question: Are you on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism? Have you started an LCHF diet after being diagnosed? What happened? After I started an LCHF diet I... ...had to increase the hormone dose a lot. ...had to increase the dose a bit ...need the same dose. ...could decrease the dose a bit. ...could decrease the dose a lot. ...could stop taking thyroid hormone. Vote View ResultsPolldaddy.com Feel free to share your experience in more detail in the comments below.

Anyone on other thyroid support forums may consider sharing this to increase responses.
Sponsored Links