Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-23-12, 12:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/230/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default My 5 year journey from the dark

My 5 year journey to the light I should say.

After years of diets and career hell 5 years ago I hit bottom. Fat and a looser. I had read and tried over 12 diet programs but never could stay one one. My career frustrations were ever increasing. My life was a decent into hell as I thought I could never live or achieve my dreams. At times entertaining suicidal thoughts. Fretting. Anger. I found myself using marijuana, junk food and red wine to cope.

It turned out that I am hypothyroid as is my wife. I can tell you that it has ben a journey to overcome. It all started when we were living in NYC and my wife could not lose weight and only gain. I sent her to see the man himself Dr. Atkins. He put her on thyroid and so it began. After his death she bounced around to other docs with very bad results. Finally she found a doc who treated her symptoms and did not use blood work. It worked, though slowly.

5 years ago I was at an all time low. Sure enough at my wife's urging I consulted her doc. and I was diagnose hypothyroid. A real shocker.

He started me out on thyroid. A little at first. Since then my doc slowly added more thyroid to my program. I had to change from armor thyroid after they change the formula. I moved to a compounded product t3/t4. Still not 100%. We added hydrocortisone and then latter a extra t3 in the am. This process took close to 4 years.

To make matters more interesting both my wife and I discovered we are sugar sensitive. High GI carbs effecting our moods dramatically. For me many sleepless nights fretting and even suicidal thoughts. I thought my life would never improve. I would never achieve my dreams. My wife found the book "Potatoes not Prozac" see http://www.radiantrecovery.com/. This was a big help.

Over one year we both moved from white carbs to brown. Then we moved from brown grain carbs to a grain free diet.

The results: She has loss over 40lbs with very little effort or deprivation. I have lost 35lbs.in short order. Our thyroid treatment is now steady and we are both trucking along let's say at 99.8% Not bad.

Our careers have taken a dramatic turns for the better. We are confident we can achieve anything we envision. Our bodies are healthy as are our minds.

My advice is not settle. Read everything. Not one thing is the answer. Remember thought and intention is key. We both always have strove to do better and have read many self improvement books. We found tools along the way. See: The Master Key System, a free download of 24 weekly lessons on training your mind to think. For us a huge help.

You will find your way and it will be just that. Your way...

It is truly mind, body, spirit. We all are entitle to health, love and wealth.

Hope this helps. Be well!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-12, 18:11

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Wow, I'm so happy for you Stray. I'm still trying to be diagnosed, I unfortunately believed everyone who said all the symptoms were either my fault or couldn't be fixed. Have been putting up with a reduced quality of life for 17 years, now aged 30. I can't face having children until my body stops being a train wreck. Thank you for sharing your story - it takes guts to put yourself out there, and trust me you are helping people see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Please keep posting, I love to read any new developments with all my friends on this forum : )