Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 00:51

Plan: ---
Stats: 199/189/165 Female 179cm
BF:39/33,7/25
Progress: 29%
Default To those who've done fat fast

How did you manage to stay within 1000 cal eating more fat? I'm hungry.

Another thing is protein. Someone suggested not exceeding 20 g. I don't know how to do it. Everything has protein in it, meats, cream cheese, etc. I can't manage to go lower than 60g.

I'm quite disappointed, 'cause after day one I lost a little under 1lb and after day 2 - ZERO!!!

My cals were around 1300, still much less than usually, which is more like 1800. Carbs 8 -12 net, usually 40g. Is there no water I should let go of?

I'm clueless.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

You have to be in lipolysis before you start the fat fast. That means you have to eat 20 grams of carbs or less. Once you are on lipolysis (ketosis), one of the effects is the control of hunger. You are no longer hungry. Once you achieve that then you can do the fat fast without being hungry. The other thing is that you have to be insulin resistant otherwise it is dangerous for your health. I am in the process of doing it. Today is Sunday and I started it last Tuesday. You do not lose a lot of weight. This diet is for people who have a very difficult time losing weight. I have only lost 3 lbs so far (6 days), but I have not trouble staying on it and I am not hungry at all. I eat about 90 % fat and the rest is between protein and carbs. You need to follow what Dr. Atkins says in his book exactly.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 13:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

mmgab, if your stats are correct (5' 10" tall), you are already within a healthy weight range for your height which may be why your body is resisting further weight loss.
The fat fast as written in Dr. Atkins' book was to be used only if you proved to be extremely meatbolically resistant which is defined as no weight loss or inch loss during the 2 week induction period while following induction to the letter and having ruled out all other possibilities for the lack of weight loss such as medications or thyroid problems.
Given that you are fairly close to goal, I wouldn't recommend a fat fast.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 02:32

Thank you for your responses.

As for my weight, I'm still on a bigger side of "normal". My weight used to always be between 143 and 151 lbs. (Until 3 years ago)

I've been stalled for 4 months. And was only losing for the first 2 1/2 months - 16 lbs.

It's really hard to lose anything anymore, and I blame my pill for it.
I've tried carb cycling, eating induction level, OWL level, etc. I'll check out the fat fast for several days. Although it is going to be the modified ff, I'm not able to lower the cals so much.

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

also check out the psmf thread.. read through the whole thing, and do a search online... If you're seriously stuck losing weight and you're healthy it's an easier plan to stick to than the fat fast. Just a recommendation...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 00:49

Thumbs up

Just wanted to let everybody know that the fat fast worked great for me. Lost 4 lbs on it, and 2 more after that. It's amazing how it kick-started my metabolism. I went to almost 40 (or more carbs) right after that - didn't mean to, but couldn't keep track of my food 'cause I was moving to a new place. Never gained anything back since.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 02:03
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

awesome!! I know how hard it can be to lose even a pound once you get closer to your goal weight. congrats!