Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 09:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 176/138/120 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default How many days till meat/egg breaks the stall?

Hello!

I've read a lot about meat & egg fast here. I'm in a stall for 1 month, but I've been losing very slowly since induction. I've eliminated everything that might cause a stall, went below 5 grams of carbs for 3 days, but nothing yet.

Did any of you had to stay below 5 grams of carbs, or just in meat & egg fast for more than three days before the stall was broken?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wasnt in a stall i just wanted to try the meat and egg diet out and i didnt see results until my fourth day
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 14:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Aquamarina, at 5' 7" (172 cm), you may already be very close to a good weight for your height and it's quite natural for your weight loss to slow down or even stop at this point as your body nears a healthy weight.
By resorting to drastic measures to lower your weight further, you may just be setting yourself up for frustration.
Instead of meat and egg fasting, why not consider slowly increasing your carbs and working towards maintainence?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 05:13

BF:

Hello!

Thanks for your responses so far.

2cute4u_04 you gave me courage! It seems that I'm not the only one who needs more time for meat/egg to work.

Lisa N, due to medical reasons (see my journal), I will stay under 20 grams of carbs forever. It's true that I have only 20 pounds to lose and maybe less. I will figure out what my ideal weight during the proccess.

Anyone else to join the club?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:56

Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

you welcome...i know a lot of people dont think that the fast is the best idea but i say try whatever works for you...because in the end your the one whos gonna have to deal with whatever results come out of it
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Lisa N, due to medical reasons (see my journal), I will stay under 20 grams of carbs forever. It's true that I have only 20 pounds to lose and maybe less. I will figure out what my ideal weight during the proccess.

Aquamarina, I understand your medical reasons for staying below 20 grams of carb (although a true epileptic diet would be high fat, low carb, low protein), but you really are very close to an ideal weight for your height already.
Combine that with your history of very low cal (800 calories) dieting for a prolonged period, yo-yoing (weight loss followed by gain) and getting older, your metabolism may already be fairly low. My concern is that continuing with these fasts may only serve to make the problem worse.
From comments in your journal, you seem to be leaning towards a lower fat, higher protein style of low carb which can pose a problem for some people. Perhaps it would help if you shifted that a bit to a higher fat, lower protein approach while making sure that your calories don't drop too low and including more vegetables?
Another thought is that since you intend to eat this way for the rest of your life, your weight should naturally stabilize and a good point for your body. Is there really a reason to force it?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 01:34

BF:

Lisa,

Thanks for your advice. It's true, I am supposed to do high fat. I try, but it's not easy cause it increases calorie intake. I'm also afraid of cholesterol. I'm sitting on a chair all day, so I must consume about 1400 calories per day. I try to stay over 800 and above 1000. This, combined with a low carb diet should do the work, in the long run of course.
I won't lose forever, you know this. When I reach my goal I will add cheese, cheese and cheese , and my favorite lettuce and other vegetables. I just want to get rid of these pounds.
Following your advice, I'll try to increase the fats a little bit without going above 1000 calories.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
I'll try to increase the fats a little bit without going above 1000 calories.

This bit concerns me, Aquamarina. Even if you sit all day in your office, your body requires more than this just to function (digest, think, breathe, keep your heart beating, etc...). Going below your BMR in caloric intake and staying there for any length of time is a sure way to slow your metabolism down.
The choice is yours, of course, but according to most height/weight charts you are already within a healthy range for your height so any further loss is likely to be difficult. I'd hate to see you wreck your metabolism trying to go lower than what your body seems to want. Perhaps at this point all you really need is some toning which would require that you get into an exercise regime or start with some weight resistance training. Excercise also has the added benefit of increasing your metabolism.

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, May-18-05 at 19:15.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 02:41

BF:

Hello!

I did a small research and found that my ideal weight should be somewhere between 56-61 kgs. So my goal is realistic. Even if this wasn't the case I judge only with my eyes, not with my scale. I'm not obsessed with my weight or anything like this. I won't ever become skinny, and I really don't like skinny people.
I really don't have time for exercising. This would be the best idea, that's true. I'll try not to lower my calories much (I have done this in the past and it really harmed my metabolism) and maybe buy a static bicycle or walk more. This sounds a nice and easy idea I think!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 15:44

BF:

Marina, your scale weight is only one tool available to you to determine whether you are in a healthy range or not, although according to this link your BMI is currently 21.9 (normal range for women is 18-24) which puts you smack in the middle of a healthy BMI range. 120 pounds is not realistic for a woman of your height unless you happen to have a very tiny frame.
There are a lot of exercises that you can do in your office while waiting for a program to run, for example: keep some 5 or 10 pound free weights around and do a few reps while you're waiting, go for a brisk walk during a break (hey...no matter how busy we are, the brain needs a rest every so often), etc...
Dieting can only take you so far towards a lean, trim body. The rest requires exercise, otherwise no matter how much weight you lose, you may still not be happy with the way you look.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 02:05

BF:

Hey! That's the link I used also to calculate my BMI. If I had a camera here you could easy realize that stats are only stats. I have my dad's body type meaning that I have a light frame. Plz don't stick to what I write in my profile. This is only an estimation.
I found some sites with office exercising. I printed it all and I will start tommorow on doing them at the 10 min break I do every hour. I'm also planning to start going for swimming every Sunday from June. I think this will help me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 11:54

BF:

Just an update and an answer to my question.

My stall broke after doing meat/egg fast for 5 days.

Hope I helped anybody else who has the same problem!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 09:44
Registered Member

Stats: 214/145/125 Female 5/6
BF:don't know
Progress: 82%

Hi I am new to this post and I have been on atkins for a years now went from 214 to about 145 142 and I am stuck thinking of going on the egg and meat diet I only have like 15 to lose and I try to work out atleast 30 minutes to a hour 6 days a week got my bowflex but I am stalled someone help I think I will start the egg and meat diet tommorow ..Thanks Yvonne
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/167/145 Female 5'5
BF:I/have/no idea
Progress: 80%

I have lost 67lb and have 45 more to go. I have been at a stall for a month or better. What in the world can I do????? I work out and walk 4 miles a day. HELP ME please.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 06:48
Registered Member

Stats: 214/145/125 Female 5/6
BF:don't know
Progress: 82%

Hi stephbme you are doing so well but like you I had stalled in my 180 I say try the meat and egg diet keeping your carbs as close to 0 as passible try that for three days it should start you running on the wiegh lost track again