Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 21:54
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
... For this recent test, I decided to play it straight, and was fasted since my evening meal the night before, about 14-15 hours. Also, I was curious about whether dairy was causing any issues, so I had stopped all dairy for 30 days before my blood test. Here are my results with any relevant previous scores in ():

TC - 149 (230)
LDL-P - 952 (1398)
LDL-C - 86 (161)
HDL-C 54 (63)
TGs - 46 (62)
HDL-P Total - 28.1 (26.7)
LDL Size 21 (21.1)
LP-IR Score <25 (<25)
CRP - 0.40 (1.6)
HbA1c - 5.5 (no previous measurement)

Rob - I took a queue from you and did a little experimentation just before my most recent lipid panel. My cholesterol test last March was my best so far. Without mentioning the unmentionable by name, I did what you did prior to previous test and I got almost identical results. My LDL and TC went up fairly significantly - just enough to make my Doctor a little concerned. The results below are my latest results with my previous results in ().

TC: 230 (191)
Trig: 62 (56)
HDL-C: 74 (71)
Trig/HDL Ratio: 0.8 (0.8)
VLDL: 12 (11)
LDL-C: 144 (109)

Other than those few days prior to the lab I was eating the pretty much same foods in the same macro ratios that I had been for that test last March. If there were any changes, it may be that I've been more lax with the use of coconut oil in recent months. Nothing major - but worth noting.

So it does appear that consuming your own fat can have an adverse effect on LDL-C and TC. I guess that is why lipid panels taken during weight loss can be all over the place, as Janet often says. This lipid panel was kind of a bonus - open to experimentation. My regular annual checkup is next March. I will be having lipids taken again. I think I will play that upcoming test straight as you did for your last one. I'll also consider eliminating dairy. I'd be curious to see if I get the same stellar results as you did on your last test.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Nov-22-16 at 08:57.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 22:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
So it does appear that consuming your own fat can have an adverse effect on LDL-C and TC. I guess that is why lipid panels taken during weight loss can be all over the place, as Janet often says. This lipid panel was kind of a bonus - open to experimentation. My regular annual checkup is next March. I will be having lipids taken again. I think I will play that upcoming test straight as you did for your last one. I'll also consider eliminating dairy. I'd be curious to see if I again get the same stellar results as you did on your last test.

Ken - Wow, those are almost my results in reverse (just to clarify, those are my results in reverse order of my blood draw prep time). Isn't it interesting that for Triglycerides and HDL, both stayed steady no matter how much we distorted the Lipid Panel prep time. I'm convinced that Janet is correct and that in that state, our blood is involved in delivering fat energy to where it needs to go. The measurements reflect that and are likely consistent under the conditions as one would expect. This is most likely a normal set of healthy results when fat is the primary energy source. For your next test in March, if you eliminate dairy (I cut it out 30 days prior to the blood draw) you might want to get your CRP measured as well. Not sure whether you had a baseline on this in a previous test, but I noticed my CRP was very low in my last test with the normal prep time compared to my previous test, which was somewhat but not dramatically higher. I'm inclined to attribute that reduction in inflammation to the dairy elimination, which could be an indication that I may be better off by consuming less.

Edited to add clarification.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, Nov-22-16 at 17:25.