Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 08:50

Plan: Low Carb/Intermittentfast
Stats: 133/133/125 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Binged on Low Carb Bread

So yesterday I found and made peanut butter bread last evening and was thiking I would make it in the evening (which I did) while I was intermittent fasting (I fast for 20 hours) and then eat it tomorrow afternoon when I break my fast. Well I ended up eating the whole loaf because it tasted just like bread so I just kept slathering it with some mayo and cheese and it was so good. I ended up finishing off the loaf this morning with a few fistsful of grapes. I am pretty ticked at mtself. The bread was very good and quite simple to make but the bread is just too good and I do not want to risk another all out binge fest so I think I am going to pass on making it again. At least until I am able to up my caebs and decrease the weight loss. So today I am tryin to not ruin the day entirely so for lunch I am going to habe tuna melts in a shelled out tomato (when cut in half it becomes like two cups for the tuna) and dinner I was going to have a chicken thigh with skin and bone and a green salad with ranch sauce. I just feel bad now. Will the binge of peanut butter bread and cheese and mayo hindeer my weight loss? Since I screwed up my fast today I am going to end at my fast time at my usual time with is 6PM and will start my fasting like normal again.Will I gain some temporary weight or anything? I just feel crappy and the only benefit is I binged on LC bread and not regular bread I probably just ate way too much of it so I will not beaking it again since I cannot handle it clearly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

What I do if I have overdone the carbs is simply to cut out carbs for the rest of the day, but you've a pretty good day planned, so I wouldn't worry about it.. Maybe use olive oil or mayo instead of the ranch dressing, if it's a regular one.

Peanuts are one of those foods which probably incline people to binge. Some people are OK with legumes, and others find they stall them. It depends on your individual response, but it's still a lot better than if you binged on real bread, so don't beat yourself up too much.

I am careful about making batches of anything. And I don't tend to do baking, which tends to be carb substitute foods. In my house, we concentrate on soups, stew, main meal items, and we make simple single portion desserts using berries, seeds, nuts and cream etc. Having said that we tried making flax bread once, and we let it cool, sliced it and froze it in single slices. It lasted ages. It wasn't too moreish (I think that was down to it not being very salty), plus it was very filling. I find, however, that breaking the habit of eating without bread is the easiest route to long-term success. I always feel that if people get used to substitute foods which they have to bake, then as soon as real life problems or time constrictions hit, they'll revert to eating the real thing. If you change your eating habits for other quick and tasty foods, then you're more likely to stay on the diet however little time you have to cook. Simple stuff like egg mayonnaise, soups, curries, prawn cocktail and simple berry desserts can all be thrown together in minutes.

Do try making the sandwiches with lettuce instead of bread. I never tried it before this summer, but I love summer barbecue sausages, lettuce and mustard on bread. I tried having the sausage and mustard wrapped in the lettuce instead, and it was so much nicer than in the bread! So much tastier.

As far as any bread you eat in future, perhaps you might be better to try to heap on lettuce, cucumber, mayonnaise and other stuff to bulk it out, so you're too full to want a second helping.

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about your peanut bread. I ate a ton of peanuts not so long ago, and it didn't make any difference to my weight.

P.S. Just a wee point: some people find that fasting leads to binging. It doesn't suit everyone. If you're new to low-carb, you should give yourself time to convert to fat-burning before you consider fasting. This will take at least several weeks on an optimal low-carb diet. Also, low-carb works quite well on it's own without the need to fast, so if you're new to low-carb, you could consider doing a normal low-carb diet for a while to see how you get on with it first.

Why don't you take a look at Dr. Atkins food lists for the induction period of the diet and start there. Using his suggestions, you can gradually work your way up to increasingly carby choices and find out what works for you. The Atkins diet is a great diet. I bought 'Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution', and it changed my life. Using his lists, peanuts wouldn't be added in for weeks or months, and grapes wouldn't really be eaten until you were close to goal, because they're too high in sugar.

You're doing great though, so don't be hard on yourself. One of the forum members, Lisa, has the mantra "Progress, not perfection" as her signature, and it's apt for your situation today.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Oct-12-13 at 09:28.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 09:49

Plan: Low Carb/Intermittentfast
Stats: 133/133/125 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
What I do if I have overdone the carbs is simply to cut out carbs for the rest of the day, but you've a pretty good day planned, so I wouldn't worry about it.. Maybe use olive oil or mayo instead of the ranch dressing, if it's a regular one.

Peanuts are one of those foods which probably incline people to binge. Some people are OK with legumes, and others find they stall them. It depends on your individual response, but it's still a lot better than if you binged on real bread, so don't beat yourself up too much.

I am careful about making batches of anything. And I don't tend to do baking, which tends to be carb substitute foods. In my house, we concentrate on soups, stew, main meal items, and we make simple single portion desserts using berries, seeds, nuts and cream etc. Having said that we tried making flax bread once, and we let it cool, sliced it and froze it in single slices. It lasted ages. It wasn't too moreish (I think that was down to it not being very salty), plus it was very filling. I find, however, that breaking the habit of eating without bread is the easiest route to long-term success. I always feel that if people get used to substitute foods which they have to bake, then as soon as real life problems or time constrictions hit, they'll revert to eating the real thing. If you change your eating habits for other quick and tasty foods, then you're more likely to stay on the diet however little time you have to cook. Simple stuff like egg mayonnaise, soups, curries, prawn cocktail and simple berry desserts can all be thrown together in minutes.

Do try making the sandwiches with lettuce instead of bread. I never tried it before this summer, but I love summer barbecue sausages, lettuce and mustard on bread. I tried having the sausage and mustard wrapped in the lettuce instead, and it was so much nicer than in the bread! So much tastier.

As far as any bread you eat in future, perhaps you might be better to try to heap on lettuce, cucumber, mayonnaise and other stuff to bulk it out, so you're too full to want a second helping.

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about your peanut bread. I ate a ton of peanuts not so long ago, and it didn't make any difference to my weight.

P.S. Just a wee point: some people find that fasting leads to binging. It doesn't suit everyone. If you're new to low-carb, you should give yourself time to convert to fat-burning before you consider fasting. This will take at least several weeks on an optimal low-carb diet. Also, low-carb works quite well on it's own without the need to fast, so if you're new to low-carb, you could consider doing a normal low-carb diet for a while to see how you get on with it first.

Why don't you take a look at Dr. Atkins food lists for the induction period of the diet and start there. Using his suggestions, you can gradually work your way up to increasingly carby choices and find out what works for you. The Atkins diet is a great diet. I bought 'Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution', and it changed my life. Using his lists, peanuts wouldn't be added in for weeks or months, and grapes wouldn't really be eaten until you were close to goal, because they're too high in sugar.

You're doing great though, so don't be hard on yourself. One of the forum members, Lisa, has the mantra "Progress, not perfection" as her signature, and it's apt for your situation today.

Have a great day.

Thank you SO much! You are SO helpful! You're an awesome person and really helped me out! Have a great day yourself!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 10:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sometimes you just need to learn something about yourself.

Here's the lesson I would take away from that:

I binge on peanut butter bread. Why do I do this?

Possible answers:

1) I'm weak-willed and a horribly defective human being.
2) There's something about peanut butter and me that makes me want to continue to eat it long past when I should.

====

If, like most people, you pick answer #1, you'll probably end up vowing to stop being so weak-willed. You'll face down that peanut butter bread time and time again and walk away even more convinced you're a failure.

If you pick answer #2 then you might think that perhaps peanut butter is something you shouldn't eat. It triggers a behavior in yourself. Whether it is physiological or psychological doesn't matter. You know what the solution is. No peanut butter.
OR
If you can control yourself around an opened jar of peanut butter, make a single serving of the peanut butter bread. (Check out the bowl muffin recipes for ideas).

Now, fortunately there are lots of other great LC breads -- check out the cooking forum, I just posted one using lupin flour.

=====

Another thing to consider is that IF might make your binge behaviors worse. It did for me.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 22:29

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

These are really great answers and a helpful thread.