Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/215/200 Male 5ft. 10in.
BF:
Progress: 87%
Lightbulb Roll Your Own to quit?

After the reccomendation of a friend I have started rolling my own cigs. I decided i would atleast give it a whirl. What convinced me to try was this guy used to smoke 2 or more packs a day of non filtered camels for 10 years or more. He has now cut down to 14 cigarettes a day and can sleep on his back again at night.

So i tried a few brands of tobacco and i wanted to get as close as i could to a light cigarette. You can buy your own filters which i do and you will definately notice a difference. I believe that this is a step in the right direction for me to quit as Ive noticed im smoking less and less. Although it is kindof a pain to roll them but you get used to it and that is the good part, you have to plan ahead cause you can't roll one when driving or when you need one real quick.

Another advantage to rolling your own is the cost. i bought 1, 10oz can of premium light tobacco and it lasted me a few days more than a month. Well for about $16 for the tobacco and another 5 for the filters and enough paper to last the total i spent last month was only around $20. If I had been smoking my usual brand at $3 dollars a pack per day that would have been over $90. So I saved $70!! Another thing is there is no additives I mean a cigarette is a cigarette but I found a list of all the things that are added to commercial brands there are over 300 additives to make them burn faster preserve them and all kinds of stuff.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried rolling your own and if so did it help you eventually quit?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 05:07

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, my mother has rolled her own for over 30 years and she smokes at least a pack a day. She'd roll a pack for herself and a pack for my dad every single evening my whole life. My dad died 6 years ago (at age 53) from cancer (smoker for 40 years).

To be totally honest with you, I think you're fooling yourself if you think this will work. You have good intentions, but you'll end up rolling a couple 'just in case', etc. I am a smoker, too, and started zyban last week. My quit date is this Friday and I plan to use a combination of zyban and the patch.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

N.