Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/170/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 43%
Question summer in Mexico, help

I am going to spend 6 weeks in Cholula, Puebla (old Mexico) this summer, studying at the university there.

I have followed the Atkins diet since October of 2002 and have lost weight very, very slowly--sometimes the scale did not move for weeks. But, finally the weight is coming off. I have lost around 20 pounds! I really don't want to fall off the wagon now, when I'm finally getting somewhere.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what the food in Mexico is like, and what grocery shopping there is like.

Advice?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 17:50
Registered Member

Stats: 207/202/150
BF:40%
Progress: 9%

Hi from someone who spent 20 yrs in Latin America. First, the good news: The Mexicans don't care if you're overweight. They like you anyway.

Now the bad news: Mexicans aren't big on dieting, nor do they have the same diet culture as in USA/Canada/Western Europe. Don't expect many diet products in the supermarkets. Diet products in specialty stores or pharmacies are usually imported from the USA and are very expensive.

Socializing and visiting are part of life. You will be offered food and driink with a lot of starches and sugars. Tortillas are served with everything. Drinks and desserts are very sweet.

It would be offensive to not eat or drink anything. Cold water is always acceptable. As for water and some pieces of lemon. (If you ask for lemonade, they'll load it with sugar).

If you have to refuse something, never say you don't like it or don't want it. Feign a medical reason.

Good luck and have fun!

Chiqui
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:13

BF:
Default great news

I have just completed my first week in Mexico. I love it! Puebla is wonderful.

I have not had any trouble at all staying on my diet. The grocery stores here have plenty of good meat, eggs, cheese. The have authentic pork rinds. I just finished a lunch of fajita meat with "queso fundido" (melted cheese) and green salsa. I only order water to drink.

I plan to buy some avocados and mangos for a new recipe I learned for a salad. Cube the avacados and mangos, mix them and use a poppy seed dressing just to glaze it (do not overuse--because of the carb content).

I also packed a little of my own snack food.

And best of all---we walk everywhere so I am probably getting more exercise here than I ever did back home.

It's going to be a great summer!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:37
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Great! Good food, good exercise, good living. What more could you ask for? I am happy that you can continue your diet.

I had marvellous experiences when living in other cultures and I hope that you do too. It changes your perspective.

In the meantime, I am still having trouble getting started. I know that locarbing is good for me but I just won't stick to it. What's wrong?

Sincerely, Chiqui
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 19:59

BF:
Default chiqui

chiqui, I wish I could give you the answer to your problem, but the truth is that I am not an expert. I found it extremely difficult to complete the first month of Atkins. And to add insult to injury, I only lost a pound or two in that whole month. (for some reason, men seem to lose weight really quickly. Are you a guy?)

I have lost around 25 pounds since October, and I still have a lot to lose--at least 40 more.

Once I completed that first month, it got a lot easier. Now it is second nature, and I know that although it is going to take my body longer than most, I will lose the weight.

This is the only "diet" that I have gotten used to and have been able to stick with. Yes, at times I miss breads, but I have some low carb replacements that I use from time to time (they stall me, so I only use them when the craving hits me because it's better than eating real bread.)

Today I had eggs and bacon for breakfast. At the main meal I had "barbacoba" and salsa, salad and a small portion of watermelon. I have my keto sticks with me and so far they help me to see if I am keeping the veg and fruit carbs under control--so far so good.

Last night we had "mole poblano" and all I can say is wow I loved it.

I am exercising a lot. Maybe I'll lose the weight a little faster here in Mexico because I am walking and climbing so much. Yesterday we went to visit a pyramid. The climb alone was more than all the exercise I've had all year.

Good luck Chiqui-- I hope you find your rhythm.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:51
Registered Member

Dear Hopeful: What a great moniker. I admire your tenacity by sticking with it. You're losing approx 5 lb per month, and it all adds up.

I am not a guy, but a lady who's finding it very tough to buy clothes for short fat women. It's become so difficult that I'm buying what fits, whether I like it or not. I am 5 ft tall and about 200 lbs. I'm afraid to weigh myself.

My health and my spirits are fine, it's my figure that's awful. I have an overeating problem fueled by emotions and bad habits. I finally got my night eating under control, but the damage is done.

Mentally, I know what to eat and what not to eat, but get sidetracked on a daily basis. For the first time in my life, I don't put my knowledge into practice. Were you like this?

By the way, what are you studying?

Sincerely, Chiqui
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 18:29

BF:

Chiqui:

I know exactly how you feel. I started out at 5'1 and 200 pounds. We could be twins. The last time I weighed myself I was down to 180--that was weeks ago. I don't have a scale in Mexico. Maybe that is a good thing. Sometimes I think I ought to just resign myself to being fat, but I know that it will always bother me, so I keep trudging along.

My clothes seem to be looser, and I'm hoping that I am now weighing somewhere in the 170's. I sympathize with you--I know what it is to suffer psychologically and emocionally from being short and overweight.

what am I studying? I'm studying Mexican history and Spanish--loving it.

Take care and take time to meditate on good things.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Default Don't need a scale

As long as your clothes are getting looser and you feel good, you are doing well. How are your studies going?

I would love to be in Mexico, eating that good fresh food, walking everywhere, talking to friendly people. Instead, I'm going to exotic Detroit tomorrow to pick up a group of people, then Niagara Falls the next day. It ain't the same.

I had a very hard time getting started but finally did it. Went off track a couple of times and overdid it a few days later. But it's getting easier now.

I will always be a 'gordita' and have resigned myself that this is the way it will probably continue. Yes, I know it sounds like a self-fulfillling prophesy. I've tried so many times and am getting tired of the battle. It's hard to be at war with oneself.

Take care, Chiqui
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 12:15

BF:
Default all of a sudden a lost a lot...

Chiqui,

I hope you are doing good. How is everything?

I have news:

After months and months of barely losing a pound or half pound a week--I am in shock.

I weighed in this morning for the first time since I came to mexco, and it turns out that I have dropped 10 whole pounds in the last 4-6 weeks! I keep doing the math, converting kilos into pounds (they use kilos here). I keep thinking that I have miscalculated.

I also thought that maybe something is wrong with the scales, but I used 3 different scales and they all agree. I just can't believe it still. I keep thinking that at any moment I will find out it's just a dream. But when I review my life for the last 4 weeks, I realize that it is entirely plausible. I exercise a lot here. There is a lot of climbing and walking. Iīm also taking salsa dance classes and my legs ache from the exercise. I leave the studio drenched in sweat. And I decided 6 weeks ago to drink only water (and a cup of coffee in the mornings).

I'm so thrilled and thankful. I spent many many frustrating weeks in which the scale did not move at all, and sometimes it even went up. So now, I'm down to 169. Thatīs 31 pounds gone! and about that much to go (although Iīd like to lose more than that I'll be so, so happy to get into the 130īs--could you imagine? I havenīt weighed that for 5 years).

I'm going to try to not weigh in again for a long time and just keep doing what I'm doing.

I just had to share my news!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 17:54
Registered Member

Default Way to go!

Dear Hopeful:

I am so glad you finally showed a weight loss. And glad to hear from you after such a long time.

How's the Spanish going? And the salsa lessons? Aren't they fun? I am so envious of you as I long to be back in Latinamerica.

With me, things aren't going very well. My work is seasonal and this year is disastrous due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. I had 2 teensie jobs this summer and have another once coming up next week for 2 weeks only.

Since my identity has always been close to my job, I've had lots of time to lament while eating. So my weight has increased by a few pounds. I am at 204, the heaviest, and am short like you. Not very much fun.

It's hard for me to salsa without losing my breath when I'm this heavy. I know, I tried.

Anyway, I am very glad you're making progress.

Pls write again when you can.

Saludos de Chiqui