Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-14, 08:42

Plan: Low Carb/Paleo/Primal
Stats: 193/184/130 Female 62 inches
BF:Too much/?/25
Progress: 14%
Default Splenda causes Lymphoma in Mice

I stay away from Apartame and Splenda anyway, I usually use Sweet One Stevia or Truvia for low cal sweeteners but I saw an interesting article the other day saying that Splenda was going to be changed from "Safe" to use with "Caution" after research studies that linked Lymphoma in mice to Splenda. Just wondering if anyone else saw this this ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-14, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I haven't heard much about it and it isn't a new study. That suggests, it wasn't a very good study.

Lots of other sorts of sweeteners like erythritol (Truvia, Nectresse), monk fruit, stevia, Zylitol.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 192/183/165 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Pure stevia is the only one that doesn't mess with my blood sugar levels and the one I bought on Amazon lasts forever! I hardly use it anymore since I quit coffee though.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 09:08

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I'm pretty sure if you force feed a mouse 10x it's body weight in damn near anything new to its natural diet, it will cause problems. Myself, I'll stick with my drop or two of sweetzfree every now and then. Stevia is nasty, if I wanted something that tasted like that, I'd just go lick the residue from a urinal at a halfway house. Makes my tongue feel like its coated in plastic for hours.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 11:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I've been using Splenda quite liberally for quite a while. At least one TBS per day of the granulated kind.

Can anyone suggest a sweetener that can be used and measured the same way--ie. like sugar?

I haven't got a bad sweet tooth, but I like it in muffins and chocolate fat bombs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 12:11

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I love erythritol but it isn't as sweet as sugar. Monk fruit is another good one.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 15:54
Experimenter

BF:

Use a mix of them and they get synergisticly sweeter and cancel out each other negatives.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 11:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Use a mix of them and they get synergisticly sweeter and cancel out each other negatives.

I use Monk Fruit and Stevia mixed. It makes it sweet enough and masks Stevia's taste/aftertaste.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 13:22

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I'm pretty sure if you force feed a mouse 10x it's body weight in damn near anything new to its natural diet, it will cause problems. Myself, I'll stick with my drop or two of sweetzfree every now and then. Stevia is nasty, if I wanted something that tasted like that, I'd just go lick the residue from a urinal at a halfway house. Makes my tongue feel like its coated in plastic for hours.

I agree completely! Those mouse studies give mice such an incredible amount relative to their body weight, how could bad things NOT happen? Humans would never ingest that much relative to their own body weight, so I just don't see any relevance. I use EZ sweet (splenda) drops on very rare occasions and certainly not daily, so I'm just not going to worry bout the very occasional and tiny amount I use.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 13:28
Experimenter

BF:

Or it could be like the aspartame experiment and the rats live longer than the control group, but they have more cancer.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 13:44
Experimenter

BF:

I know we're not fans of CSPI because of their specious campaigns against fat, but here's something that looks fairly reliable that they wrote about non-sugar sweeteners:

Link
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-14, 17:13

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I use whatever I find on sale. So far no ill effects
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-14, 13:39

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I'm pretty sure if you force feed a mouse 10x it's body weight in damn near anything new to its natural diet, it will cause problems.

I guess I've never thought of it in that way, but you make a great point here.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-14, 14:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Stevia can taste terrible if you get the kind that grinds up the stems with the leaves.

But if you get stevia extract from leaves only, there is no nasty taste.

I used to use Kal brand, it was 100% stevia extract with no added ingredients, and had absolutely no weird aftertaste -- but they just added maltodextrin to it so I will not buy it any more.

I just bought a jar of Now brand organic "Better Stevia" and I'll see how that tastes as soon as the jar of Kal I'm using is done.

I also use a bit of Splenda. There are a few things that stevia doesn't work well in (fat bombs), but a box of Splenda packets last me over a year.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-14, 16:09

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Stevia can taste terrible if you get the kind that grinds up the stems with the leaves.

But if you get stevia extract from leaves only, there is no nasty taste.

I'll have to disagree. I find stevia so disgustingly unpalatable, that not only did every possible concoction out of dozens I have tried gross me out, but I have had to throw away things I hadn't realized contained it. Like the sugar-free lemonade I grabbed at Sprouts a couple weeks ago. Three sips in and I had to re-scrutinize the label, it was like drinking sweetened motor oil. Yup. Stevia. That will teach me to not pay attention.