Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/246/200 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: -10%
Angry Can't take it any longer, so frustrated!!

I just can't take this anymore. I try, I try, I try, I try, and yup you guessed it I try some more. I have tried the fat fast and have been eating damn macadamia nuts for 3 days.

Day 1: 5 oz. can macadamia nuts split over 5 feedings approx 3.5 to 4 hrs a part. Then late at night I broke down and had a piece of swiss cheese with 1 Tbls mayo in it and 1/2 oz. turkey breast. Also consumed 90 oz. of water

Day 2: Same as day 1 except instead of the swiss cheese and mayo I had 1 sausge patty which was 190 cal and 19grams fat and 0 carbs. I had 12 cups of DECAFF Green Tea throughout the day.

Day 3: Same as other days except nothing late at night. Plenty of water

Tried my keto sticks and nothing but beige not even a hint of pink. Jumped on the scale and actually up 1/2 pound after 3 days of this torture. Everyday I would also take a multi vitamin and 2 500mg L-Carnitine on an empty stomach between (laugh, laugh) feedings. Also take 1 Tbls flaxseed oil each day as well.

I have been trying atkins for over 1 yr and the most I can loose is 10lbs. I'm 5'10 255 pounds and desperatly trying anything I can. I can even remember when I was deep into ketosis one time before I mean the purplest of purple on my keto strips (fat fast). They were like that for 5 days, I jumped on the scale lost 1/2 pound. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

BTW I'm not taking any meds....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You are not alone. Take this test here. Try to answer the questions as you were before you started Atkins.

If you score high then go to the CAD/CALP forum on this board and readthis thread.

If you'd like to try the diet print this and this out.

Also on the CAD/CALP forum, read, read, read the threads and visit the journals of the people who have posted there.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 19:49
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Tyronepatt,

First of all, let me say I sympathize with your frustration.

But before rushing to change plans, how about following Atkins as written instead of trying fat fasts, and eating only chicken breasts (as I saw from one of your other posts)?

Atkins means eating plenty of fat, plenty of low carb vegies and enough protein. From what I've read elsewhere, you have been trying to do it low fat. Just doesn't work, because we need the fat to use as fuel when low carbing.

As for those macadamias, you could well be like me, and many others, and have an intolerance to them. I love macadamias, but gain weight as soon as I eat any.

So my suggestion would be to get out your copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution again, and reread carefully the Induction section. Then follow it exactly. Don't skimp on the fat, and feel free to go over the 2 cups salad + 1 cup of vegies - as long as you stay under 20g carbs.

I wish you every success!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 19:56

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Another possible explanation could be a sluggish thyroid. Have you had your thyroid levels checked, lately?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 323/318/200 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 4%

tyronepatt
Hi there,,,i feel for you cause i am in the same situation but i did not do the fat fast...i have lost some inches though..i did not measure at first so ia m going to do the measuring thing this month..so is your clothes fitting different?? Also i have read in different areas that some people need at least 20 carbs a day no less and probably add more fat like was suggested...Hope you dont give up..lets be buddies and help each other out..

Also maybe go to fitday.com and do a profile there and see exactly how many carbs you are getting..this advice was givin to me and it has helped...

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 20:34

BF:

Thank you all for your replies. I looked at the CAD test and the questions on there seem like they could be true for any over weight person. I have thought about getting my thyroid levels checked.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:08

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

If you have a sluggish thyroid, then it wouldn't matter WHAT plan you were on--you will always have a hard time losing.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:45

BF:

I have been trying my whole life to loose weight. Often when I look back on my life I notice the best times I had, the fondest memories are when I was thinner and felt good about myself. During my teens and early 20's loosing weight was more about getting the ladies to notice me, Feeling accepted etc... etc... Now it's about my health and the fear of becoming diabetic. I think maybe I will give this CAD diet a good ole college try. If that doesnt work I'm going to gourge myself to where I'm over 100 pounds from where I should be and then go and get my stomach stapled.(100 # is the minum requirment) I'm wasting my whole life trying for something I have yet to achieve, complete happiness through knowing that I'm of "Normal Size". To think the years of depression I spent from failed attempts at diets that just make a person larger. I believe those years could have been spent much more productively. I guess for now I just need to pick myself up and dust myself off and start all over again.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Gorging yourself to gain 100 lbs and then having the stomach stapling sounds more like suicide than a food plan.

I realize you're feeling desperate, but giving your body time to heal from the torture you're putting it through with either CAD or Atkins as written would be the only ways I could see to regain your HEALTH before you can HOPE to lose weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 07:28

Plan: my own/atkins
Stats: 125/125/115 Female 67 "
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi! i know it really is hard being on a diet that is supposed to be amazing, and that works for everyone else you know but you. i'm by no means overweight but i do have excess pounds which just won't budge, and i've done the same as you, going to extemes. i've tried ephedra and other diet pills, but nothing wotks. for the past few months, i've stopped all that and have tried to be patient, and eat atkins by the book....still....nothing.

very frustrating. i excercise alot too, and cant even tone up.

now i'm researching what is called "oestrogen" dominance, which is caused by an imblance of the ratio of progesterone: oestrogen. it can be triggered by going on or off the pill, which i did, and also, by trying to lose weight. which is exactly what happened to me. i tried to lose weight and tone up, and gained about 10 lbs and a dress size.

so theres something else for you to think about. good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:48

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

There are other things you can eat for a fat fast. (((hug))) I hope it gets easier for you