Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: //&;
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Dan--Please help!!!

Dan,

I have some general weight loss questions. First of all I want to lose about 20 lbs, but in doing so I don't want to gain any muscle. I have quite a bit of muscle the way it is. I am a former gymnast and it seems as though I have a lot of muscle along with a lot of fat! So I was wondering if the CKD plan will give me the results I want. I have been so confused lately trying all different kinds of diets I feel that it's not good for my body. Should I still weight train? and what kind of cardio would be best?? Currently I run and do weights, but I have seen almost no results, perhaps just gaining bulk. Also should I be using any sort of dietary supplements to help me lose weight? If so which ones? Please help!!!!

thanks,
Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 08:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up BFL

Kris, hi I'm not Dan, but I can offer you some advice. Or better yet, a few links with some information that you might find useful, I know I have. Like you I have quite a bit of muscle already and I've been quite aerobically active all my life. I recently started a program called "Body For Life" I'm not sure if you've heard about it. It's a 12 week challenge that incorporates a nutritional lifestyle change (which I have modified to fit LC) and a serious exercise component comprised of weight training and 20 minutes of high intensity interval training. You work out 6 times a week, alternating HIIT and weight training every other day. It's been 4 days for me and I'm feeling a difference already. 12 week results genearlly comprise a loss of 10 - 15% body fat and a more toned and fit body with as much or as little bulking up as you desire.

Here are a few links dealing with BFL:

Body for Life
Body Changers
Lean and Strong

HTH,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 21:23

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default what I've found ...

Sorry it took so long to post ...

I have found the following workout stragtegy to be best when using a CKD when the goal is fat loss and NOT muscle gain:

DIET:

Of course, it all starts with diet. I hate to diet as much as anyone does, but we all know that it is a necessary evil. In my opinion, for the hard training athlete, the most effective diet to use is a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet).

I know, I know. CKD’s are a pain in the butt. Who has time to figure out all of the ratios and all that? Well, Ms. Fern found a site that does all of that work for you. All you have to do is answer a few questions and it will generate your info for you.

Here’s the link:

http://www.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html

TRAINING SCHEDULE:
While on a CKD, I have found it best to follow this training split:

Monday – Squats/Chest/Back (heavy and hard) + cardio
Tuesday – Abs + cardio
Wednesday – Full body circuit (see below) + cardio
Thursday – Abs + cardio
Friday – Full body circuit (see below) + cardio
Saturday & Sunday – rest

On Monday, go heavy and hard. I use squats/leg presses, flat bench press or dumbbell press, incline presses, heavy rows, and military presses on this day. After warm-ups, I use an 10-8-6 rep scheme.

Going heavy and hard early in the week while your glycogen stores are full will allow you to accomplish 2 things:

 You will keep your strength in your big lifts. Most people lose strength when they go on a cutting cycle.

 You will rapidly deplete glycogen stores. Big, compound moves rapidly use up the stored glycogen in your liver and in your muscles.

As for the full body circuits, the week-to-week progression I use builds off of the weeks before it. That way, your muscles will be forced to adapt to a new training stimulus every two weeks. This will help to further retain your muscle mass. Be sure to pick one exercise for each muscle group and follow the set rep scheme descrubed for each week.

The workouts will look like this:

Weeks 1 & 2 -

2 sets of 20 on all exercises, hitting positive failure by end of set, up to 30 seconds rest in between sets - if needed

Weeks 3 & 4 -

3 sets of 15 or until failure on all exercises, up to 30 seconds rest in between sets.

Weeks 5 & 6 -

3 sets of 20 on all exercises, hitting positive failure by end of set,
up to 30 seconds rest in between sets - if needed

Weeks 7 & 8 -

3 sets of 8 on all exercises, adjust weights up accordingly, hitting positive failure by end of set.

CARDIO TRAINING:

The cardio training schedule that worked for Fern and me (check her success story) calls for a steady progression from 30 minutes per day, gradually building up to two sessions per day of one hour of interval training.

While some may say that this is too much cardio, this does the trick.

SAMPLE MENU ON CKD:

Monday

#1. Low-carb Muffin w/ butter or cream cheese (see recipes) + Low-carb shake

#2. Low carb bar or shake

#3. Chicken or Tuna + 2 T. Mayo
(Hormel and Starkist make little “lunch kits” of these. Just don’t eat the crackers. Personally, I just use a full can of chicken or tuna, drain it, mix in the mayo and down it. If you are under 200 lbs., use a small can which is 3 oz.)

#4. Low carb bar or shake

#5. Pepper Steak

#6. Frozen Chocolate Mousse

For most days, meals #1, 2, 3, and 4 will remain the same. It just makes things easier. You can change breakfast to any low-carb recipe you may find, or you could just have the low-carb shake. Another breakfast option is bacon and eggs, with cheese. No toast or potatoes though.

Tuesday

#5. Crispy Fried Chicken w/ Spinach

#6. Low-carb, no bake Cheesecake Cupcake

Wednesday

#5. Rubbed Ribs (see recipes)

#6. Low-carb, no bake Cheesecake Cupcake

Thursday

#3. Leftover Ribs or tuna/chicken with 2 tablespoons of mayo

#5. Texas Style Chili

#6. Frozen Chocolate Mousse

Friday

#3 Leftover Chili or Leftover Ribs or tuna/chicken with 2 tablespoons mayo

#5 Remember, after your workout Friday night you are allowed to CARB UP!

For Friday night, go low-fat and take in simple carbohydrates (sugar, white bread, etc.) Remember to take Lactaid if you will be eating dairy products. Take Beano before meals.

For Saturday and Sunday, eat low-fat, moderate protein, high carbohydrate meals and snacks. Remember the Beano and the Lactaid.

CONCULSION:

Ok, so I probably gave too much info in the post, as I seem to have a habit of doing. This program is a basic overview of the SUPERCUT program that I developed, and is the program that Fern used to much success.

All of the basic guidelines have been described for you, but if you would like to have all of the weight training workouts laid out for you (exercise selection, etc), as well as have a clear picture of the cardiovascular training progression, and abdominal training component I will have to have you visit our site.

This is in no means an ad for our program, but this IS how personal trainers make a living ... by writing out COMPLETE fitness programs.

Besides, Fern's Birthday is coming up and I need the cash.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 22:33

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: what I've found ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Besides, Fern's Birthday is coming up and I need the cash. [/B]

HEY,
I'm not that hard to please!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 22:48

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

This helps soooooooo much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Kris
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 09:04

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Kris? Is that you?

I just have to ask - based on the information you gave above...would you happen to live in the Southwestern US, be married to a former gymnast, have several children and belong to the Oct97 list? If so, we know each other from that list!

If not, forgive me for bothering you (and everyone else)... I tried to PM you but I don't think you've posted enough yet!

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:51

BF:
Progress:

Lisa,

Sorry but I think you have the wrong Kris.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 22:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Dan

Thanks Dan, I needed to hear that advice.

DesertRose
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 23:11

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default link

hey dan
great routine! i, myself, am trying to figure out fat loss and distance training to be done concurrently, but not having much luck. i think maybe this is something i need to look into. thanks for sharing your knowledge.
p.s. i tried the link, and it didn't work?
gracias
brenda
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 23:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Thumbs up

The link works now, I edited it.

I think the hyperlink button was used, which isn't necessary if a person just wants to post a simple, straightforward link. Just type or paste the desired URL directly in the message ... when you submit, the link will be created automatically.

Doreen