Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 22:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm new...well kinda.

Hi everyone,
I have been a lurker on this site for a very long time and tried low carb a couple of times. I had to reregister. Lol I really believe in the low carb lifestyle. I have problems however because I don't love meat. I hate fat on my steaks and any other meat. I'm ok cooking with it on but just can't stomachs eating it. Will that hinder my progress? I'm so use to eating lean meats veggies etc. I had a gastric bypass in 2009 and lost 160 but have gained back have of that and I walk through a huge plant all my shift at work.I can't afford to gain anymore. I am on meds that cause me to gain.I need some advice for planning for week. I joined a gym to start on Monday but I work a lot of overtime at my job....and Saturdays. I would appreciate any suggestions. Oh I also live with people who eat anything they want. Lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-17, 22:37

BF:
Progress:

Sorry have to correct I gained back half not have. Lol
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 02:30

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well, first of all welcome Tammie, you have taken the biggest step, woo hoo good for you. So you have listed a whole bunch of obstacles right off the bat, so my first suggestions is to break it down, lets look for positives rather than negatives....I don't care who you live with, no one is responsible for what you eat except YOU, there is no question that there is a lot to learn, and you won't learn it all at once. This plan takes planning, it takes determination, you will fall, but you will get back up and carry on. I suggest you study the Induction food list, that is what you will eat for the first two weeks, read it, read it again and then read it again. When you find your way around this forum, there are tons of resources here. Take your time, remember, one day at a time, best of luck to you, drop by my journal sometime, I love company, ttyl
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 05:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Tammy,
First you don't have to eat anything you do not like. If you want a complete Vegetarian LC plan, there are hundreds of recipes and tips to help you. Easier if you include eggs and maybe fish, but even without you can eat LC. An entire forum on it (not terribly active but many good links to info) http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109. Also check recipes by adding a Filter in the search for vegetarian recipes. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes. That same website has complete, total down to the shopping list meal planners, some 60 weekly plans, many vegetable. You join to use that, free for first month to try out.

Exercise is great for building muscle and general health, but has little impact on weight loss. Many LCers do none until they are more comfortable in weight. Your job sounds more than enough for fitness..add some weights when you feel like exercising.
I was at a Keto gathering yesterday organized by Kristie Sullivan. You can hear her story at her YouTube cooking channel linked in this article https://www.dietdoctor.com/what-an-amazing-journey
She also did WLS and regained much of it. There are good main dish recipes (suggest you avoid the treats to start) on her YouTube. The day was amazing and inspiring to be with 100 or so LC success stories.
You can be that success story too. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-30-17 at 09:01.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 06:16
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

my daughter used to trim every single smidgen of fat off her meat, in the past.
but the more she ate this way, the more she found that the fat was where all the flavor is.. it takes time, I suppose..
good luck, enjoy your journey and welcome to the forum....

i have a feeling you're going to end up loving the fat and will take the fat off plates of others... like the rest of us do!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 13:26

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I do not eat the fat that I trim off my steak, but I do purposely buy meat that shows a lot of marbled fat, because I know that renders into the meat and makes it more flavorful and moist.

As far as exercise is concerned, I guess with me it's psychological. If I work out, I don't want to screw up my eating afterwards and lose the benefits gained from it, so it helps me stay on plan.

I too find it much more difficult since I live with a carboholic than it was when I lived alone, but as Zoogirl said, you are the one putting the food in your mouth. Own it.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 14:22

BF:
Progress:

Thankyou everyone,
I must admit though that I don't care for fat on my meat too much. I do like steak, bacon and chicken. Bacon was my downfall while trying to go veg. I have been thinking about it and always my downfall was I thought pasta' s and breads were the one that made me full and satisfied. Until I thought about it. I ate leftover chicken a couple of days ago and couldn't even finish it all cuz I was satisfied. Plus I'm having a hard time with the fat thing. It has been kinda engraved. Low carb.....and low fat. I have always struggled with my weight. I lost 120 on my own before my gastric but I starved myself on about 500 calories a day and exercising like crazy. I can't do that anymore. I want a normal life.I like planning but when I said everyone in my house eats what they want....I meant it. My bf weighs 350 and his 18 yr old son weighs about 400. I actually have to have bins my fridge for my son and I so his son doesn't eat everything. I want to help him too but I realize I can only worry about myself. Honestly this may sound like I'm a horrible person but I am happy my 2 children take after their father and are thin. Does that make me a bad parent? I know from being a fat kid and my father calling me porkchop and how he had to lock the fridge I would never do that to my kids. I simply just didn't buy junk food and pop for them. Unfortunately I ate it all. Lol But I'm gonna give this low carb my all this time. I apologize for rambling.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 14:28

BF:
Progress:

Btw I can't get rid of temptations in house. But I'm also a recovering alcoholic....recently. I know this is gonna be a hard journey. I also quit smoking for 10 years and started back last year when I went into a rehab. I really need to do this though.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 07:49

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Tammy, you do have a lot of unfavorable issues staring you in the face, but you CAN do this. Coming here in the first place shows that you really want it. Think of it as setting an example for your BF and his son. Your losses might influence them to make some changes of their own.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 10:11

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 160/152/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Tammy,

I'm rooting for you! I don't think anything you've said makes you awful. I think it makes a lot of sense to try to find a solution to your eating first. When you find something that works, then maybe the others in your household will be inspired, too. Or maybe not, but in my experience, these kinds of changes really have to come from inside. Usually the most we can do is help support someone who has already decided they want to make a change. I think a lot of women are brought up to believe they should put their needs last. And of course I'm not suggesting anyone neglect their family, and I'm not a big fan of the phrase 'me time' (I take time to do things I enjoy), but in the long run, we need to take care of our own health, too. It shouldn't be something that's last on the list.

Congratulations on you success with alcohol rehab! Is there any overlap to what made you successful with that and what you need to be successful with cutting out carbs? I hope that's not a dumb question, it's just that carbs are addictive, too, at least to me, so maybe there's something that you've learned in fighting alcohol addiction that can be applied here too? As far as temptations in the house, my only strategy (that's sometimes successful, sometimes not) is to try to stay on top of what I'm planning to eat, get it prepared and cooked before I get hungry. Sometimes I make myself eat before hunger hits, just to really stay on top of it. I think my downfall is that I get lazy about cooking. I just don't really enjoy it that much. I'd rather spend my time doing a hundred other things, so I put it off, end up hungry with no plan of what to eat. So that's one of my personal challenges in this whole endeavor.

I think a lot of us are royally po'ed about the USDA's anti-fat propaganda. They've harmed so many people, it's heartbreaking the struggles and self-blame they've caused. It makes me so angry every time I think about it. But as for whether you're eating enough fat, from what I've read, at the beginning when we still have plenty of body fat, we do not need as much dietary fat as people in the maintenance stage. I mean, it sounds like it's okay to eat as much fat as you want as long as it's on the approved list, but I wouldn't worry too much about not eating enough. At least my strategy initially is to do whatever it takes to try to kill my carb demon. Maybe others can speak to that point, though.

I'm not a success story (yet?) so take the above with some healthy skepticism. :-)

KL
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-17, 14:42

BF:
Progress:

I just want to thank everyone for the advice and support. I failed this week. I wasn't really prepared but I have been working crazy hours. 56 last week and I'm working through the weekend. I'm not going to give up though. Lol I worked today and tomorrow but I did say no for Monday so I'm looking on the recipes here and going to go buy containers tomorrow so I can make my lunches in advance.