Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-17, 21:27

Plan: LowCarb/Carnivo/Intermit
Stats: 365/279.8/190 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question 20 carbs? Or ?

I did Atkins years ago fell off the wagon. I seem to remember a 20 carb or less induction then a higher carb amount. I am trying to do dietdoctor.com and wonder do you just stay at 20 carbs or less till goal weight.

One other thing would be cool if they added a section for keto/lchf/dietdoctor.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 00:01

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I would recommend finding an Atkins book at a used book store or on Amazon. I found an Atkins 72 version on Amazon for under two dollars, I think. Of course I live in Japan, so I paid $10 for shipping I think. 🤦‍♀️ But in the 2002 version, he lays it all out beautifully. You start out at 20 carbs or less, made up of mostly salads veggies and greens. This is induction phase. As you get control of your hunger and if you desire the variety, despite the fact that it tends to slow the progress in most people, he has what he calls Ongoing Weightloss. He has the carb ladder and he lays out what you add first and how much. When you get to the point that you're not losing anymore, you back off and take a step back. He has a premaintence phase and a maintenance plan laid out as well. I recommend the book because you can highlight things and bookmark stuff and despite being in my mid thirties, I'm rather old school and prefer a book in my hand.

Best of luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 07:35

BF:

Howe does the Atkins compare to dietdoctor?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 07:56

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Compare? like in a comparison matrix? ... or you looking for a single answer, like, "is it less expensive?"
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 10:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Nate,
To me, the Atkins Induction plan, the DietDoctor Two Week Challenge (which is Dr Westman's Duke Clinic diet at 20g total carbs http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf) and others are all variations on the same theme. You to start out at a very low carb level to reduce cravings and hunger, but then you may very slowly and carefully test what foods and how many carbs you can add back that do not re-ignite the cravings. For some people...sticking to 20g total carbs is what is needed...forever. You do not have to "climb the ladder" on any of them. If you wish to remain on the "Two Week Challenge", use those meal plans or substitute other similar recipes filtered from the Strict/Keto level.
I can tell you having been a patient at the Duke Clinic that the preferred protocol IS to stay at 20g total carbs until reaching goal weight, only eating allowed foods and not increasing or adding back any prohibited ones (nuts, alcohol, etc). Unless you are good at moderation (one glass of wine on Saturday night, only an ounce of nuts twice a week, etc) abstaining completely from some foods is an easier approach.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-11-17 at 10:34.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 11:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

There is also the matter of insulin resistance.I started of this WOE with a goal to stay under 30 net carbs. Several months into the diet I started using a blood glucose meter. I was surprised to learn that I was still quite carb sensitive even 9 months into the diet. I was checking my blood sugar after meals and I could still get BG spikes (above 150) from an 8 to 10 carb meal. I then lowered my net carbs to less than 20 for a few months and started experimenting with intermittent fasting. That seemed to do the trick with resolving (or at least greatly improving) my insulin resistance. Since that time - and as I approached my goal weight - I've added back more carbs and my blood sugar rarely exceeds 100 - even after a 20 net carb meal.

My point here is that there is a healing effect from keeping your carbs (and therefore your BG & insulin levels) very low. It also makes staying in control a lot easier. I was more consistent with my eating when I kept my food choices limited and the carbs low. I went to < 50 net carbs in maintenance and I've had some trouble maintaining. I'm trying to dial that back and find the right balance.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 06:46

BF:

Thanks for all of your responses. I just start looking for answers when I plateau and would like a do A B C but know this is different for everyone. However, I just want to succeed.

1. I don't drink never have so this is not an issue with me.
2. My goal so far has been to try to stay under 20 carbs.
3. No cheating ever for me.

My wife started and got off a few days since I started so close to our cruise but she is doing great. I stuck to my guns on the cruise. I just want to continue to see results for myself and I do like to tell other people about how I am doing. So I hate being stuck at a plateau. I happen to love meat so eating more meat is easy. I add butter to most items I eat. I may be getting to much cheese so I have limited that. I love cheese as it helps me feel full.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 06:51

BF:

Thanks for the pdf link I have printed and downloaded that so I hope to not lose it. I like that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Nate,
To me, the Atkins Induction plan, the DietDoctor Two Week Challenge (which is Dr Westman's Duke Clinic diet at 20g total carbs http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf) and others are all variations on the same theme. You to start out at a very low carb level to reduce cravings and hunger, but then you may very slowly and carefully test what foods and how many carbs you can add back that do not re-ignite the cravings. For some people...sticking to 20g total carbs is what is needed...forever. You do not have to "climb the ladder" on any of them. If you wish to remain on the "Two Week Challenge", use those meal plans or substitute other similar recipes filtered from the Strict/Keto level.
I can tell you having been a patient at the Duke Clinic that the preferred protocol IS to stay at 20g total carbs until reaching goal weight, only eating allowed foods and not increasing or adding back any prohibited ones (nuts, alcohol, etc). Unless you are good at moderation (one glass of wine on Saturday night, only an ounce of nuts twice a week, etc) abstaining completely from some foods is an easier approach.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 07:04
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
I just want to succeed.

Keep that thought first and foremost in your mind and you will succeed. It sounds overly simplified, but if you really want to succeed (and believe me, you do) then you will keep working at it and figure out what it takes for you to succeed. It is a learning process along the way. Some things that you try won't work. You may make a few mistakes. I certainly have. But I was bound and determined to succeed this time and I got to where I wanted to be. Refuse to give up or give in and you will get there, too.

About the plateaus... That is how this works. Plateau, drop, plateau, drop. It does get a little frustrating after the 2nd or 3rd week at the same weight. Just keep pressing on. The body needs to become convinced that you have no intention of refilling those fat cells. Sometimes it is very stubborn. Keep eating right and eventually the scale will reward you with a drop.