Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%
Default Quit your Gym membership?

I was thinking about that. I have a membership but I don't go. Does that make sense to pay and not go? Then I think, "Well, if I cancel, I'll never go". I'm wondering if I cancel it, will it force me to go? What about you guys? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 16:15

Plan: Custom
Stats: 305/249/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Jimbo, I don't know much about your particular situation, and I'm having trouble understanding some portions of your question, but I would say that you're right: if you're paying and not going, something has to give. The "something" is not your membership. You need to be hitting the gym (or getting muscle and cardio workouts in otherwise). It's just as important as what you eat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 21:36

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I would cancel it and put the money toward a quality piece of home equipment.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 13:20

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What else would you do?

I let mine lapse a long time ago and now I have (finally) replaced gym workouts with a series of activities that fit my current life better than wasting gas to drive somewhere else, do work that is essentially useless, and come home again.

Gyms aren't the only way to exercise but they do work well for some personalities and lifestyles. Why is it that you are not going?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:56

Plan: Custom
Stats: 305/249/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawna
I would cancel it and put the money toward a quality piece of home equipment.

As noted by others, some personalities workout well outside the gym. Nonetheless, I'd say that, generally speaking, if you're having trouble making it to the gym, there's also a high likelihood that your home equipment will become a piece of modern art sculpture.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 20:29

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

You don't really say why you don't go other than the waste of gas, and something about time. I guess if it were me I'd stop and think about why I got the membership in the first place. Was it so you could exercise? Was there a class there you wanted to take? Was it a spur of the moment decision or do you have friends there etc?

Personally, dh and I got a gym membership 3 years ago so my daughter could join the swim team. I went in spurts and starts, but nothing regular. Dh started complaining about nobody using the membership as dd now swims with a different swim club. I found 2 classes I wanted to try. Now I'm an addict. I don't feel right if I don't exercise at least 5x/week. I've gotten to know several people in the class and all the awkwardness is gone. It is a great support system. We have men and women in the classes I take and they are all pretty terrific.

I hope that you find what you are looking for. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have had a gym membership for years. Sometimes I use it faithfully, sometime sporadically, sometimes not at all. But I know that it is always there, ready to go. Also, since we signed up about 10 years ago it has never changed from $25/mo for DH & I: can't beat that!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 12:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Jimbo

I thought about joining a Gym. But eventually deicded to by $20 worth of dumbells from wal-mart. My thinking is that if I don't use and membership and dont use the dumbells at least I have the dumbells to show for it. I have added to the dumbells twice and getting a pretty good workout. I like what is happening to my muscles. (Where do I sign up for that Mr. Olympia thing).

I find that having the equipment at the house is much more convenient than going to a gym. I can have my own music. I can watch the TV. I can even be on the internet. I love the simplicity of it. I am also suprised with how much work you can do with just a set of dumbells.

My cardio equipment is equally simple. A pair of shoes and a timer/watch.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 17:16
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I would say why did you get the membership in the first place... just for exercise...? to meet new people...? for the equipment...? for the classes..?

If it's just to workout then cancel it. Personally I like working out outdoors or at home. Gyms seem depressing, like fat people prison or something. I can much easier work out in front of the TV or in the park with the sun shining then staring at the sweaty guy in front of me.

All just personal preference.