Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-01, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Are these any good? Im thinking of making them.

Hello,

I am thinking of trying out both of these. Have any of you tried these?

French Toast

Ingredients:
1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 pkts SplendaŽ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon egg nog extract [optional]

Crumble pork rinds up until they resemble bread crumbs (use your food processor if you like - or put them in a Ziploc bag - air removed - and roll them with a rolling pin.) Set aside.

Beat eggs well and then mix with remaining ingredients and beat again. Add crushed pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken to a "gloppy" phase during this time.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or griddle with butter or oil, and when hot, fry pancake style until golden brown on both sides. Serve with your favorite low-carb maple syrup (DaVinci, Keto, Atkins, Howards, etc, etc.)

If you don't tell someone who eats them, they will never have a CLUE that these little french toast pancakes are made with pork rinds. And everyone loves 'em. Really. Yeah, really. Would I kid you?

Less than 1 carb per serving.

------------------------------------------------------------
Cinnamon Crispas

Ingredients:
1 bag (full size -- 3-4 oz.) plain pork rinds
15 pkgs Splenda
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Drizzle melted butter over the rinds or put in a plastic bag and shake well to coat. Mix Splenda and cinnamon in a paper bag, then drop pork rinds into bag and shake, shake, shake!

If they become soft or soggy later, put them in a warm oven and let them crisp up again.

Serves 4. 3 carbs per serving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 00:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Yep!

Well, I've made the French Toast recipe, anyway, as have many here on this Forum I believe (have you searched about for comments?).

Might be my particular brand, but the 2nd time I made the French Toast, I added an egg and maybe a quarter cup of water (bit salty and not enough soaking liquid). I had used the plain pork rinds from the Superstore here in Canada.

Good luck and enjoy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

Well, the French toast doesn't much appeal to me because I LOVE pork rinds and I'd rather just scramble the eggs and have the rinds on the side. The Cinnamon Crispas, however, sound yummy (like the cinnamon thingies you get at Taco Bell) and I think I'll give those a try
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: WW/Low(er)carb
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I held out on trying the mock french toast(I swear- if anyone had told me before low-carb that I'd be making french toast from pork rinds, I'd have thought they were nuts!)but I made it this past weekend and it was surprisingly good!

As for those crispas - you really only need about 5pks splenda and a teaspoon of cinnamon -seriously!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%

I tried to make the cinnamon "crisps" and EW they turned out bad....I think I'll take your advise and SHAKE them in a big, then bake. I just dumped it on top, and man....it turned out a big mess :/