Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:52

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%
Default Tastes Like French Toast - YUM!!!

Just tried this for brunch today...

French Toast Pancakes (inspiration from the TNT Diet book)
Makes about 10 big pancakes
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
Butter
Sugar Free Maple Syrup (a great brand to use is Vermont Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup by Maple Grove (maplegrove.com) -5 grams of carbs per 1/4 cup)

Whisk the eggs, cream, vanilla and salt together. Heat butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour the "batter" in the pan and cook until the surface is mostly set, then flip it and cook about another minute (the pancake will look sortof like a crepe).

Ater cooking all the cakes, melt some more butter in the pan and pour over each serving, then top off with syrup.

These are SO GOOD - they taste like French toast!!! I hope you think so, too.

Last edited by 27Peach : Mon, Jan-14-08 at 04:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 21:47

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

Holy cow that sounds GOOD!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 04:51

I had these again for breakfast and I was in heaven! Add a couple strips of nitrate free bacon and a cup o' joe and, well, you get the picture!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/272.5/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Just in case anyone is making these and needs the carb count, I just worked it up (as they sound yummy and I'm going to try them myself):

2/3 cup heavy whipping cream [4.4 carbs]
6 eggs [3.6 carbs]
1 tsp. vanilla [.5 carbs]
Dash of salt
Butter

So, not including the carbs from the syrup, the total for the batch is 8.5 carbs, or 2.8 carbs each (if making 3 pancakes).

I love low carb recipes. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 13:27

Dawn, thanks for tallying up the carbs in this recipe - that's good to know! You'll have to let me know what you think of these when you try them. I think I'm going to make a big batch for my visiting family for breakfast on Saturday - it's one of those low carb recipes that you really want to show off and say - hey, with this kind of delicious food, you can see why I love low carbing so much!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-08, 06:41

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I just had these for breakfast. The whole time I was making them I was thinking "I'm sure they don't really taste like french toast, but what the heck." I've tried several lc recipes that are supposed to "taste just like ____" and don't even come close.

Well, I was wrong! These really do taste just like french toast! Thank you for a lovely breakfast!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-08, 06:44

Yea! I'm glad you think so, too! I've been eating these every day since I first posted the recipe!!! I really like that I found something to mix up the breakfast choices as far as eating eggs goes.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 06:59

Stats: 280/272.5/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I made these last night for dinner (made regular pancakes for my family though), and they were indeed very yummy.

It made 5 large pancakes for me though (I ate 2 and saved the other 3 for another time). I used an omlette pan since the batter was fairly thin and put 1 ladle of batter in it for each pancake.

Very yummy and filling too. Thanks for the recipe!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 07:23

Made these for my family yesterday morning and everyone thought they were delicious! My little 3 year old nephew ate 2, which was a lot for him - he actually won't eat eggs, but ate these and loved them! My sister is so happy to have a way to get him to eat eggs now! Yea - I've done a bit of good for the world!

Oh, one more thing - if you have leftover batter, it keeps great in the fridge overnight. Unlike regular pancake batter, it doesn't get all thick and gummy.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 14:12

Plan: Custom
Stats: 305/240/195 Male 5"8"
BF:
Progress: 59%

wow... I am glad I found this site. I cant wait to try these.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 18:56
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Breakfast tomorrow! Gotta avoid the sf syrups though - they mess up my stomach. A dab of sf jam perhaps.....
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 19:12

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

i wonder how they would work in a waffle iron?????
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 19:36
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's a thought!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

These are excellent. They have the bread consistency too.
I used the DaVinci SF syrup.

MOCK FRENCH TOAST
2 ounces pork rinds, 1/2 cup ground
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Put the pork rinds in a quart size ziploc bag, discarding any hard pieces. Crush with a meat mallet until finely crushed. In a small bowl, beat the eggs well; stir in all but pork rinds. Add the pork rinds and let stand for 5-10 minutes until it thickens and becomes "gloppy". Heat a little butter and oil (the oil helps keep the butter from burning) in a very large nonstick skillet. Spoon in the batter, dividing into 4 medium size pancakes. If you don't have an extra large skillet, make 2 pancakes at a time. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom; flip and cook the other side until brown. Serve with sugar free syrup, if desired (not included in carb count).

Makes 4 medium pancakes
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Pancake: 124 Calories; 10g Fat; 8g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per 2 Pancakes: 248 Calories; 20g Fat; 16g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 4 Pancakes: 495 Calories; 40g Fat; 32g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Pancake: 121 Calories; 10g Fat; 8g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs
Per 2 Pancakes: 242 Calories; 20g Fat; 16g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Per 4 Pancakes: 483 Calories; 40g Fat; 32g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I was pleasantly surprised how good these were. The cinnamon gives them the French Toast flavor, but they look and feel more like pancakes. ... had no trouble flipping these once they were good and browned on one side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:15
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It is possible the brand or type of pork rinds matters a lot in these (the recipe above, not the one that started this thread). I tried this approximate recipe over a year ago, eager to be able to eat something that tasted like french toast and still lose weight. Conclusion: Pork rinds are disgusting. There was just no amount of other stuff or spice that could compensate.

On the bright side, the Oopsie recipe, and even a pan-fried mock danish-style recipe, works pretty well for this kind of thing.

Some people like the pork rinds stuff. But I hope newbies know that there are other options. I think sometimes new people try stuff and it's really yucky to them and it makes them feel like lowcarb is 'fake food' or not good enough to stay on.

PJ