Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 16:10

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Low-carb diets get thermodynamic defence

Quote:
The theoretical argument has some experimental support. In 2002, Arne Astrup of Denmark's Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, and his team put 12 men in a room and measured precisely how much energy each burned when fed different diets. Those on a regimen rich in pork protein burned 4% more energy than those on a higher carbohydrate diet, the team found, because they lost more energy as heat. So Astrup says he agrees with Feinman "to some extent".

But when it comes to dieting, Astrup and other experts say that Feinman is missing the point. Even if protein and carbohydrate are processed differently in the body, what really matters is whether low-carb diets actually help people lose more weight than other eating plans.

In this regard, studies are scant and conflicting. Some of the best evidence comes from two trials published in the New England Journal of Medicine in May 2003, which showed that those on a low-carb, high-protein diet shed around three times as much weight as those on a low-fat diet after six months. However, the difference was minimal after a year,.

The main reason that some people shed extra weight on a low-carb diet is because they eat fewer calories overall, experts say, probably because protein makes them feel more full. They may also stick to the diet more rigidly or for a longer time.

Compared with these factors, any differences in the way the different foods are metabolized are negligible, argues George Bray, an authority on obesity at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. "The epidemic of obesity isn't due to a small biochemical defect," he says, "it's due to large portions of food eaten by inactive people."

Low-carb diets get thermodynamic defence
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 17:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Quote:
The main reason that some people shed extra weight on a low-carb diet is because they eat fewer calories overall, experts say, probably because protein makes them feel more full. They may also stick to the diet more rigidly or for a longer time.
Here, the "experts" are trying to explain the success of the low carb diet in terms of the lipid hypothesis. They are so certain that weight loss has only to do with total calories that they cannot imagine how else the diet might work. They simply cannot fathom the idea: insulin drives fat; carbohydrates drive insulin.

Quote:
Compared with these factors, any differences in the way the different foods are metabolized are negligible, argues George Bray, an authority on obesity at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. "The epidemic of obesity isn't due to a small biochemical defect," he says, "it's due to large portions of food eaten by inactive people."
Here's exactly what Gary Taubes was complaining about. He is very certain that obesity is a disorder of overeating and not a disorder of fat accumulation, as Gary Taubes pointed out.

It’s interesting to consider all the prejudices in this statement. If you believe that obesity is a disorder of overeating, then you cannot admit to there being important differences in the way different foods are metabolized. If you believe that calories are the only variable, then there can be no difference between a sugar-burning and a fat-burning metabolism.

Perhaps the strangest thing this expert says is that obesity is not due to a ”small biochemical defect.” Since he believes obesity is a disease, he can only imagine its being caused by a defect. So he identifies insulin’s storing of excess calories as fat while preventing fat metabolism as a metabolic defect, and a small one at that.

But obesity is not a disease, and the action of insulin is not a metabolic defect. It is the normal response of a metabolism dealing with foods for which it is not well adapted.

I think that the reason that the obesity epidemic is so hard to fight is because it is accompanied by an epidemic of certainty.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 18:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
Here's exactly what Gary Taubes was complaining about. He is very certain that obesity is a disorder of overeating and not a disorder of fat accumulation, as Gary Taubes pointed out.

In Taubes epilogue he states:

5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior. (p. 454)

He goes into the myths about obesity in great detail in chapter 14 and I found that chapter extremely revealing, particularly the section on the Pima indians. The whole prejudice that intemperance and gluttony is the cause of obesity is one of the most psychologically destructive ideas out there. I was glad to see that myth debunked. Don't get me wrong, though, overindulgence can certainly pack on the pounds, but there is plenty of evidence that it does not determine obesity. I was comforted by that.

Last edited by TomX : Sat, Jan-19-08 at 18:39.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 18:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

I thought it was clear that the referent for "He" in my statement was the speaker cited in the article, not Gary Taubes. Please excuse my momentary grammatical lapse.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 18:38

Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
I thought it was clear that the referent for "He" in my statement was the speaker cited in the article, not Gary Taubes. Please excuse my momentary grammatical lapse.

Oops, I misread it. I'll leave my post in case somebody wants to refer to Taubes.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 19:25

Stats: 330/246/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

I love it when people think they understand thermodynamics because they understand the first law of thermodynamics. The first law is just the first law and thermodynamics is A LOT more complicated than that. In physics quantum mechanics and relativity get the reputation of being complicated to understand. Thermodynamics kicks it old school and trust me it is just as hard as the other two.

The basic idea behind the second law is this: if you throw a bunch of broken pieces of china into the air the odds are that it is not going to turn back into a coffee cup. You could set it up so that it is theoretically possible for it to turn back into a coffee cup but the chances of that happening are the same as the chances of the pieces falling into any other patterns. But since there are billions and billions of combinations that look like random messes, and all combinations are equally likely, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that the pieces aren't going to turn into something like Michael Angelo's David.

Same thing is true when you are giving energy to a bunch of molecules. Any pattern they take is equally likely so you can pretty much bet that they are just going to go off randomly in all directions. Since temperature is really just a measure of how fast the molecules are randomly moving it is more likely that all that energy is just going to go into heat. Making molecules do what you want is like herding cats. But if you are smart you can set it up so that you can get useful work out of them. However in the end it will be like you are throwing up tons and tons of pieces of china in order to get a couple of coffee cups. In other words you will get useful work out but you will be wasting a lot of energy in the form of heat.

So the first law is that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. People sometimes assume that mean a calorie is a calorie. However the second law explicitly says that a calorie IS NOT a calorie. And there is no way to expect that one way of getting useful work out of chemical reactions will be as efficient as any other way.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 19:50

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy
So the first law is that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. People sometimes assume that mean a calorie is a calorie. However the second law explicitly says that a calorie IS NOT a calorie. And there is no way to expect that one way of getting useful work out of chemical reactions will be as efficient as any other way.

Nicely put.
I love the laws of therm & quote them for any reason or no reason at all:
1. You can't win
2. You can't break even
3. You can't quit playing

Anyway, yes. There is no particular reason to think that when the body extracts calories for its use from carbs, it gets the same 4 cals/g that is obtained in the lab, or even that it gets the same amount all the time, and likewise for fat or protein.

The deeper issue, from my point of view, is that there isn't any reason to think that the metabolic response to carbs is the same as for fats or proteins, we know for sure it isn't. There isn't any reason to think that the different metabolic responses don't have macro effects either.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 21:01

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

If noticed that I feel warmer and dress more lightly since starting LC. Have others noticed this?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 22:17

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I get sick of these guys claiming I'm fat because I'm inactive. I'll try to be nice and not run him down on my rollerblades.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 22:50

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD
If noticed that I feel warmer and dress more lightly since starting LC. Have others noticed this?

Yes. However, I am feeling quite cold lately. I wear layers now because I'm so cold. "Fleecy things" are my favorite. I don't understand why I'm so cold lately. The outside temps right now are -3F, but our indoor temps are around 67*F. Perhaps while my internal furnaces are burning hotter, it's just so dang cold here that I must shiver to increase body temp? Shivering makes me put on my cozy fleecy things.

So, if the fleecy things are doing their job, then I'm not burning as hot? Or, am I putting on the fleecy things to keep myself hotter? Whatever I'm doing, it's working, as my weight does not fluctuate at all. That is strange, considering it's the middle of "winter food".

I completely disagree with the notion that
Quote:
"The epidemic of obesity isn't due to a small biochemical defect," he says, "it's due to large portions of food eaten by inactive people."

Again with the sloth and gluttony. Not true.

The universe tends towards entropy, the "laws of thermodynamics" notwithstanding.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 16:58

Plan: Atkins/PP/IF
Stats: 185/165/150 Male 70''
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD

I've been feeling quite the opposite actually. Since losing weight I'm really comfortable in the summer when I used to barely make it through the heavy heat before, and I'm freezing in the (Canadian) winter most days.

Shedding 35-40 pounds of insulating fat is probably more a factor in body warmth than any increased metabolism.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 17:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I lost 40 lbs at 1 lb/wk on a low-fat high-carb diet of 1100 calories (felt hungry all the time and gained it back several times), but lost 60 lbs at 1 lb/wk on a high-fat low-carb diet of 1900 calories, and have been maintaining it w/2000 cals/day for 19 months! So the eating less on LC suggestion is certainly not true for me. I can even eat large portions of food while inactive and still lose/maintain nicely - as long as it is VLC food.

When I was low-fat dieting I was always freezing, but I feel warm most of the time now that I eat a lot of fat.