Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 03:55

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

ok someone tell me what shirataki noodles are?? zero carbs? wow,,, ok,,where do I get them, in what part of the supermarket, how much and most important,,,, how do they taste???

awaiting your response with tounge on floor, drooling.......
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:42
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Shirataki noodles are made from yams and are found in Japanese Food Stores. I don't know what the carb count is but I know it's very low. Personally I can do without them...they have the consistancy of hard gelatin and are quite slimy. They're usually packed in water and kept in the fridge section of the store and they stink when you open the packet. The actual noodles don't seem to smell though...they don't have any taste either for that matter.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 62/57/52
BF:
Progress: 50%

To the best of my knowledge they're zero carbs. Yes, they smell a bit funny when you open the pack, but once you boil them that disappears. You need to boil them for a bit longer than normal noodles in order to get them soft. They are NOT like spaghetti, not as good, but they are a good substitute for using with your bolognese sauce.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:57

BF:

tongue is off the floor now...lol.. considering just eating more lettuce instead,,lol,,, dont like the smelly bit....hmmm.. NEXT! I might keep my eye out for them just so I can say`` I`ve tried the smelly noodles!``... thanks guys,,, TIP,, late at night when you wanna snack watching the telly...... go to bed instead,,lol,,, or smell the smelly noodles and that will put you off,, BYE
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:23

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

i haven't found shiritaki noodles in the supermarket, only japanese/asian stores. they smelly funny but they don't taste funny, they absorb the taste of the sauce. they are similiar to cellephane noodles and are pretty much all fibre.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:53

BF:

can you fry them maybe?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Stats: 62/57/52
BF:
Progress: 50%

'or smell the smelly noodles and that will put you off,, BYE'

You've never even smelled them!! Seriously, this whole smelly thing is overrated - they just smell a bit salty when you open the packet, but this disappears when you cook them. If you get a chance to try them, do. They are a great alternative to spaghetti.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Own - Atkins based
Stats: 97/89/72 Male 174
BF:
Progress:

Full of fibre hey? ...might be a substitute for physillum husks and/or green tea.

Last edited by NiSSaNKiNG : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 18:24.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question

Quote:
Rosebud you said some chopped onion, or spring onion if I want to use fewer carbs

What are spring onions ? Are they shallots ?
Also can you tell me about the red salad ones I think sometimes called spanish onions ?
I use about 3 thin slises of red one fine chopped in my lunch salad - 3 x lettuce, bit of cuecue and them with what ever protien and soy fullfat mayo - thats ok yes ???
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 00:38
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Red onion's fine, Bron.

I just sometimes use spring onion/green onion/shallots (think it depends where you come from ) because they have fewer carbs than brown or white onion. Not sure how red onions go, but 3 slices will be fine.

Do you know about www.fitday.com ? In case you don’t, it's a free site where you can keep track of your carbs, calories, fat etc.
This thread Fitday.com How To's gives some hints on making it a bit easier to use.

Cheers.

Roz