Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 07:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default atkins / weights prog / protein shakes?

hi all

im 2 weeks into stronglifts 5x5 program and progressing well. i also decided that 2 weeks ago i would lose fat too... so went back to an old buddy, atkins. - well, i thought it has a lot of protein/healthy fats and low carbs. my actual weight if it's a factor is around 14st 1lb now, and was 14st 11lb two weeks ago. my body fat was around 28% - too much, although at 5' 10" and fairly broad i carry it ok - but that percentage was a worry. im around 26% body fat now. when im trying to lose fat i tend to progress fairly well, and am doing atkins relatively strictly, so my concern is am i getting enough carbs to affect the 5x5 plan in a negative sense. i wouldnt be eating the atkins way permanently, just to burn a few more pounds of fat.

so thats a bit of background. my question is would it be a good idea to take protein shakes post workout? (around 11g of carbs per serving) which would only be 3 times a week.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 08:04

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

You are not trying to lose or maintain weight as most of us are here, so I suspect few of us have much personal experience with what you are attempting.

Personally, I would not consider ingesting any thing with 11 grams of carbs in it at all. Not even once a month, much less three times a week.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Gandalf - looks like you are at goal weight - congratulations! I think protein shakes are good post-workout. There are many varieties and recipes. If you see unwanted increases in weight then I suggest decrease the carbs/calories in the shakes.