Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 15:53

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I've been active all my adult life (I'm 48 years old) but in the past couple of years I've been busy jogging, swimming, and bicycling (don't worry, there's no danger of my becoming a triathlete or anything LOL!). But lately since the WTC attack in New York City I've not been wanting to exercise much aerobically, so I've turned to yoga as an alternate tool for fitness. Lately I've been doing 60-minute sessions at home, four or five days a week, and one or two 90-minute classes a week. I love it. I really sweat and I feel it does so much for me. This weekend, however, I'm going to push myself a little to do a 3-mile jogging workout up and down the hills where I live in Los Angeles. I also have an exercise bench and free weights at home, but I find weight training so dreadfully boring-- I have all but given up on it. When the weather turns inclement in winter I'll hitch my bike up to my indoor trainer and cycle while I watch TV. I feel that I have so many options for training, and I just let the spirit be my guide in deciding what to do during any given week. In the long run this attitude keeps me active and happy.

Last edited by missydog : Fri, Oct-05-01 at 21:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 04:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Variety is the Spice of Life

Like the sound of that. Different forms of exercise ...{I just let the spirit be my guide in deciding what to do during any given week. } ummmm
Yoga is great for focussing and concentration of all your senses.

It is quite good to see the little changes (for the positive, I feel) that are taking place on an individual, community and national sphere since WTC.

Take care.
Love Light Healing Harmony Hope
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:29

BF:

Well, I got out this morning for a good 2-mile jog. It's still totally dark here until 7:00 AM and I have to start my workouts by 6:00 AM or I don't make it to work on time. That means I work out in total darkness. This morning I drove to the track at UCLA at 6:00 but it was locked and pitch black there. On my way back home, driving through Westwood Village, I realized I was in the middle of a well-lit neighborhood (businesses and highrises are mostly still closed, but the street lights are blazing). I thought to myself, why not just jog all around these streets for a couple of miles or so, and that's what I did. As I said, most businesses were closed and as always there were a few homeless folks sleeping in doorways, but I think I've found my solution to the problem of winter darkness. If the city wants to light up that area like a football stadium all night long I might as well put that electricity to good use!

I've also been well into yoga in the past couple of weeks, doing 60-minute sessions. I'm working harder at it now and getting more benefit. Some of those poses really challenge my muscles (lower body, mostly) so that yesterday I had a bit of a hard time even walking for a while afterward. But I love it, and I'm looking forward to a transformation, as one of my yoga teachers calls it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 07:34

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Missydog,

I've spent time this morning reading gym logs, due to myself just starting to work out.

I notice you take Yoga. I noticed at my gym that yoga is taught there too, Mondays and Fridays I think. I'm thinking of going. I have never done yoga and don't know much about it. Do you find it helps with stress at all?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 09:51

BF:

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I find yoga definitely helps with stress! (Actually, almost ANY physical activity helps with stress, but yoga is particularly good). Yoga can be done at many different levels. If you've never done it before, be sure to start at a gentle level or you could get prematurely discouraged. With yoga, you should never try too hard to do more than you're able to do at the present time. And it's always *practice*, never a performance. Have fun with it-- it's a journey and a discovery.

Missydog
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 16:33

BF:

Well, I managed to do a 60-minute yoga session this morning. Good for me. My goal is to do three aerobic workouts and two hour-long yoga sessions per week (have I said this before?). As far as I'm concerned, aerobic exercise is king and always has priority, even though I go through long periods of really enjoying yoga more. Yesterday (Sunday) I got over to the track at a local community college and did a good 2-mile solid jog. I can really feel some loss of fitness from not doing my aerobic exercise for six weeks after September 11. But I have no doubt I'll get it back in a couple of weeks of these jogging workouts.

Last edited by missydog : Mon, Oct-29-01 at 16:45.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 10:55

BF:

Now that it's no longer Daylight Saving Time it's now actually light at 6:00 AM, although even this won't last. But it gives me a good chance to get outdoors before work and jog. This morning I drove to the local college track and did another 2-mile solid jog. It's getting easier, which is good. I aim to jog longer and faster, eventually. I consider these workouts to be such an incredibly important thing to do. At my age (48) it would be easy to quit and then it would be even more difficult to get back into it than if I were younger. As I jog every morning I give some thought to the fact that with each stride I'm staving off osteoporosis and insulin resistance!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 18:05

BF:

Well, I managed to do my fourth jogging workout of this week. I've noticed something interesting-- when I was in the middle of ketosis it was definitely more difficult to do my workout than it was the day after I'd gone off my regime and eaten more food/carbs. I don't know for sure if there's a connection-- I could have just been having a down day for other reasons, but I did note this difference. It's not enough of a problem to cause me not to work out, but I'm going to make sure I take my potassium (nu-salt) which I've not been doing, and the lack of which could have caused the problem, I guess.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 13:18

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Missydog

Interesting Log. I’ve had little bouts of doing Yoga here and there. Works on the mind, body and soul – quite effective. Must dig out my yoga exercise instructions: got them somewhere. For such a gentle controlled exercise it surprised me how much I was sweating!

{At my age (48) it would be easy to quit and then it would be even more difficult to get back into it than if I were younger. }
Never too late – and yes it is a challenge to go for it whatever your age and to remember age is NOT a barrier – not helped by some of the ageism around – some chatrooms I visit start a chat and cut me off as soon as I give my age: makes me mad!! I didn’t go brain dead at 35. We’ve got a new member in UK who is 70 : he’s great.

Glad you worked out a way of making use of those lights. Amazing how just focussing on exercise helps our brains to figure out a Our clocks went back this weekend and I am waking up in the LIGHT too – helps with getting out of bed.

{….it was definitely more difficult to do my workout than it was the day after I'd gone off my regime and eaten more food/carbs… }
Interesting observation. Hope Dann/Fern comments on it!! I can’t figure out why some days I can really do a lot of exercise and other days I’m just whacked.

Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:47

BF:

Fiona,

I'm so glad you've found my postings worthwhile. Makes me feel like I'm not just posting in a vacuum! Anyway, here's what I've been up to exercise-wise lately:

Did a 2-mile jog over hilly terrain this morning. I tried really hard not to stop and walk, but due to stomach cramps I just couldn't avoid walking for half a block. Nevertheless, I was thrilled to find that at the end, even though I had walked some yards, I still finished 30 seconds *faster* than the last time I did that route (when I ran solidly with no walking).

I'm due for a good yoga session (60 minutes at least) but I'm having trouble fitting it in with all the aerobics I've been doing. I try to do aerobics on both Saturday and Sunday so that during the work week I don't have to squeeze in so many workouts when I'm pressed for time, as we all are. One of my goals now is to increase my jogging speed by little bits, and one way to do this is through wind sprints. On my last quarter mile I will start alternating sprinting and regular-level jogging. Or at least I keep saying that's what I'm going to do! Maybe talking about it is the first step?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 19:49

BF:

It rained this morning when I did my morning workout. At first I didn't want to do it at all-- I was down and cranky. But I decided I'd force myself anyway in the hope that it would clear up my mood. I jogged slowly around the track, kind of meditating and allowing myself to get in touch with whatever was bothering me. For the first few laps I had chills and discomfort as if I might be coming down with something, but I was pretty sure it was psychological issues that were causing my distress. Anyway, I guess I managed to do some good mental work inside because by the time I came to the end of my 2-mile jog I was feeling light enough to continue on with it. I didn't continue because I didn't want to "punish" myself for having done a good job with myself, if that makes any sense. Don't want to turn compulsive. Two miles was plenty for today.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 11:20

BF:

I got out this morning very early (before 6:00 AM, before the sun's even up) to my local college's track. Met another woman going in-- we were the only ones there at that hour, although soon some other people would arrive. So I did my 2-mile jog, nice and slow, and on the last lap I pushed myself a little to go just a bit faster. I like to jog the first half of my workout in a counterclockwise manner, then I change and jog the last half in a clockwise direction. This breaks up the workout psychologically and makes me think in "phases" of effort. I'm still going pretty slow. I figure by not being overly ambitious I'll have a better chance of continuing my exercise regimen over time.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 10:31

BF:

Wow! Do I rock, or what? I got out this morning and did my 2-mile jog and my time was a whole minute faster than yesterday! I pushed harder in general and then on the last half mile I did wind sprints. I was really huffing and puffing. That makes six aerobic workouts in the last seven days.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:44

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

You do rock girl....keep it going...bet it makes you feel good for the rest of the day too
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:22

BF:

This morning was a yoga morning. My goal is to do two yoga sessions per week. So today I did a 45-minute session. I feel well worked out.

I started reading "Protein Power" yesterday and was surprised to find they rank resistance training as the most important exercise you can do for your health. I had always thought it was pretty much universally agreed that *aerobic* fitness was the most important kind of fitness you could have, if you had to choose. I just absolutely despise weight training, even though I own a workout bench and some free weights, and I know it's very good for you-- but does it really take priority over aerobic fitness? Comments, anyone?

Missydog