Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 190/190/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 50 and feeling 60😩

Any tips on staying motivated?
Also wondering if you had to change your woe lc after 50 ?
Any tips are welcome!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 18:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi!
Here are my tips, from the past 3 months in which I have been more focused and consistent than every before:

1. Try to find a way to see this a permanent change for health. For me that meant figuring out how to be patient. Reading the boards, the maintainers, the turtles, the success stories of people like Ken who are so willing to talk about the mental and emotional changes that happened for them a few months into the woe...those kinds of changes have become my goal...it all helped me start to change my mindset. I am not sure where I will end up in terms of ultimately how many carbs I eat as part of maintenance, but I am convinced I will never be a high carb eater again.

2. See this as a long term process so that you don't have to make all changes at once. I've added a very small amount of exercise this week...but I wasn't sure I would and when I started the woe in January I thought "maybe next year". My plan was one year on low carb and see where that got me...and then look at exercise. Somehow, as others have said, after a few months of low carb my body wants to move more, I have more energy.

3. Find a favourite low carb food that feels like a treat (mine is bacon or a handful of macadamia nuts) and some new hobbies and things to do. Then when the mental monster hits, not the physical cravings, but the mind thing that says -- repeatedly, endlessly for 30 min -- I could just have this, or this, or what about this.... Treat yourself to the high fat on-plan food (calories don't count fighting that monster) and do your hobbie (mine is reading on this site, forcing myself to go for a walk, writing a letter or in my journal, calling my sister or friend to talk). In 30 min the situation usually is - I'm saitiated and distracted and the mind trip has stopped.

Good luck to you! I'm 52 and have lost 15 lbs since January and gone down a size, and have more energy and sleep better and less brain fog. More hot flashes though, lol. Apparently that is the estrogen being released as I lose fat...so I'll take it!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 11:50
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and welcome, Summeringb!

For me it's not about motivation b/c that wanes, what really has kept me on the journey are routines/habits & knowing I am doing everything with in my power to be in the best of health possible well into my 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond. I just turned 58.

I lost all my weight (this time around) when I was 55 years old. I've been playing at LCing since 1978.

I really didn't feel that age was an issue as much as my resolve to finally STOP the insanity of decades of yo-yo dieting and to stay 100% OP every single day.

Wishing you much success on your journey!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 11:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am half the size I was when I was 55. For me it hasn't felt as if age played any role in my ability to lose weight. I am now 68. I find that at this age I am more concerned then when I was younger at keeping as healthy as possible. That's enough to keep me on the straight and narrow plus I like the way I eat. Real food, no junk, low carb.

Jean