Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 10:19
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default 70 and UP ~ Age-Related Challenges of our WOE

As many of you know, I've been eating LCHF since the first Atkins book came out in 1972. That's a long time and Life is Life, which explains why I'm still at it.

The good news is that I'm not diagnosed T2D, am in good health overall and on only one medication by choice (HRT). I walk at least 2 miles at a fast pace every morning and I do spinal and leg stretches a la yoga. One of my own problems is with my circulation, and just last week I got a mini-trampoline and have added mild rebounding to my health regime.

Even being in good health, however, I find aches and pains and health issues popping up more frequently. I believe this is age related.

So. Here is a place where I would love for those "qualified by maturity" to come to discuss such challenges. I will not be checking IDs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 13:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

You funny!

I put soluble gelatin in my morning tea, and that really helps with my joint issues.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 13:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to lurk in this thread. 70 isn't all that far off. ;-)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I'm 9 yrs from 70...
not many on here in that age category.

I'll lurk.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:21

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Six months til 70. I am working to improve my health. Strict about my eating to prevent T2D. I started walking 1-2 miles a day to improve my breathing and now twice a week with weights to increase my muscle mass.

I have spent most of the last 13 years to fatigued to do much other than sitting on the couch and now have to play catchup. I want to live in an energetic athletic 80 year old body rather than a tired crippled one.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Medicare newbie, here.

70 is certainly coming faster than say, 30 seemed to be when I was 25.

Thanks to this WOE, my only medication continues to be Armour thyroid, and I want to keep it that way.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:26

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I put soluble gelatin in my morning tea, and that really helps with my joint issues.
I wish I could remember to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
just last week I got a mini-trampoline and have added mild rebounding to my health regime.
I have one in my living room but don't remember to use that either and I know it is good for the circulation among other things.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 15:37
Doing My Best

I looked at my health records and found that my circulation problem is even diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. What I've been doing for it is the walking plus heavy mitt massage in the bath of my feet and legs. I also use a powerful electric foot massage machine when I feel the feet kind of....I don't know how to describe it. I just use the machine to bring extra blood to my feet.

I've noticed that since I started gentle bouncing on the mini-tramp, I almost never feel the need for the foot machine. Here's something I've found which actually mitigates my symptoms (which btw are not bad at all, just there) and isn't a supplement or drug.

Yay!

P.S. I was doing actual bouncing, but had to ease off because my back complained.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 20:00

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I may lurk here also since 70 is not that far.

I've been doing this since the 9th of May in 2014. I looked it up.

I still have a ways to go. I adapted this mostly to control mood swings and to help my stomach. If I lose the weight too it will be an added bonus.

You are doing amazing keep up the good work
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:06

Plan: ZC carnivore
Stats: 170/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

71 in a month. Been off/on Atkins for a couple years, back now a week. No health issues requiring meds. Lost a lot of weight my first time with Atkins back in 1973, a breeze in my 20s but weight comes off slowly now. ~~mo
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:33

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Posting mostly just to keep abreast of this thread. Will be Medi-care eligible at my next birthday, in December, which means 70 isn't all that far away. LC for 3 1/2 years. Have never been "sporty", but find that I am more inclined to walk now - on the flat, up and down stairs - since losing 35#. Only medication is for a scalp issue that makes my hair fall out (and NOT grow back!!). My mother died at 73 - emphysema & just plain tired. I don't want to emulate her. I also use gelatin in my morning tea; that, and glucosamine seem to help my occasional achy knee.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:40
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mo
71 in a month. Been off/on Atkins for a couple years, back now a week. No health issues requiring meds. Lost a lot of weight my first time with Atkins back in 1973, a breeze in my 20s but weight comes off slowly now. ~~mo
My 71st is also next month. Happy Birthday to US!

My weight doesn't go down any more, but I still haven't given up. From so many years of eating too few calories, my metabolic rate is shot so I'm working on getting something burning in there! Not an easy task I'm afraid.

I've got a small health issue I'm dealing with at the present, but all my lab work is positive, and I'm still walking my 2 miles pre dawn every day. I think once DH's heart gets back in rhythm and my stress level goes down, everything will be okay.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 19:48
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Posting mostly just to keep abreast of this thread. Will be Medi-care eligible at my next birthday, in December, which means 70 isn't all that far away. LC for 3 1/2 years. Have never been "sporty", but find that I am more inclined to walk now - on the flat, up and down stairs - since losing 35#. Only medication is for a scalp issue that makes my hair fall out (and NOT grow back!!). My mother died at 73 - emphysema & just plain tired. I don't want to emulate her. I also use gelatin in my morning tea; that, and glucosamine seem to help my occasional achy knee.
Welcome, you young whipper-snapper! Maybe a thread I started last year could help you in choosing your Medicare Advantage Plan . The thing to remember is that every State is a little bit different in what plans they offer and their costs.

Yesterday I found a thread here to test our Getter-Uppers. I did well and decided to add that to my daily exercise. However today my knee twinged when I did it, so I stopped. Evidently, I was a little bit too enthusiastic when I tested myself. Even though I already take a joint supplement, thanks for the reminder about gelatin. I'll be adding that tomorrow to my BPC.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 21:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Welcome, you young whipper-snapper! Maybe a thread I started last year could help you in choosing your Medicare Advantage Plan . The thing to remember is that every State is a little bit different in what plans they offer and their costs.

Yesterday I found a thread here to test our Getter-Uppers. I did well and decided to add that to my daily exercise. However today my knee twinged when I did it, so I stopped. Evidently, I was a little bit too enthusiastic when I tested myself. Even though I already take a joint supplement, thanks for the reminder about gelatin. I'll be adding that tomorrow to my BPC.

"Young whippersnapper!" Thank you! I am sometimes amazed at how young I feel, considering being 64 1/2. Especially considering how "old" my mother was at this age. I don't have a lot to compare to - grandparents all died in their 70s, one g'mother in her 60s from cancer; g'father I knew best was an "old man" when he died at 75; father died early from an accidental injury; mother was just tired by the time she died; really didn't want to live anymore. It seems very sad to me. I know several ladies, contemporaries of my mother, now in their 80s, who are so much more vital than she was before her death. One, who died last year at 95, was quite "with it", though her joints didn't work so well. But her mind was as sharp as they come. I am aiming for that - though, hopefully, with better joints. I loved my mother, but am hoping to do better in my "old age" than she was able to manage. I wonder sometimes if she thought that as well - living longer and better than her parents - or whether dying in one's 70s was thought to be the norm.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 23:05

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

70 is only 3 short months away.

I guess I'm holding up pretty well, my only medication is Naturethroid.

Ophth. took me off glaucoma drops in April after cataract surgery, which seemed to lower eye pressures. I had been taking the drops 18 years. Hoping pressures stay low at next check-up.

I'm fairly convinced that if you want to stay well, stay out of the doctors office. This past year, I've been treating my minor health issues holistically, and with some success. I haven't had antibiotics for 1 1/2 years, and when we are around crowds or sick people, we have a dose or two of our 'mixture' and husband and I have sidestepped several colds, bronchitis, and flu bugs.

I seem to lose well on 1 meal a day, but can't seem to get back in that groove. I'd like to lose 35 or 40 lbs. I've done it in the past, but can't seem to maintain that weight.

Blues Singer, I saw a post on Facebook recently that painful tingling feet can be one of the many symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. The article said that as we age, our bodies can't seem to absorb it as well, and in severe cases they give B12 injections. Severe B12 deficiency can be very serious.