Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 03:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Meet America's latest Fitness Star: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...nsburg-47804039

Quote:
Meet America's latest fitness star: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons and Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

The 84-year-old Supreme Court justice is about to join the ranks of workout superstars with a book about her exercise routine. "The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong ... and You Can Too!" is scheduled to be released Oct. 3, which happens to be the first week the court is in session after its summer break.

While Ginsburg stars in the book, she isn't its author. Instead, it's co-authored by illustrator Patrick Welsh and longtime Ginsburg trainer Bryant Johnson, who now also trains Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan. The 112-page book will feature illustrations of Ginsburg doing each exercise in her routine. She'll be pictured in her judicial robes, with purple leggings and "her trusty sneakers," according to publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

The liberal justice's health has been a topic of interest following the election of President Donald Trump, with liberals hoping she'll outlast his presidency so Trump won't get to nominate a conservative justice to fill her seat. Mentioning her age at an appearance earlier this year Ginsburg noted: "A very important part of my life is my personal trainer."

Johnson, an Army reservist whose day job is as a court clerk in Washington, has been training Ginsburg since 1999 following her treatment for colorectal cancer. Ginsburg has said husband told her she looked "like a survivor of a concentration camp" and needed to do something to rebuild her strength.

These days she trains with Johnson twice a week for an hour each time, doing exercises including push-ups and the core-strengthening plank. She does two sets of 10 push-ups, and not the easier ones where the knees touch the ground. Ginsburg disclosed the book deal at an invitation-only appearance in Maryland on May 24. Asked to share the secrets of her stamina, Ginsburg said it "won't be a secret for long" because Johnson had been commissioned to write a book about her workout.

Details of Ginsburg's workout were previously published in the 2015 book "Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg." Politico Magazine also wrote about the workout earlier this year. A book of Ginsburg's own writing published in 2016 includes a picture of her working out on the elliptical machine wearing a sweatshirt that says "Super Diva."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 05:50

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Love the notorious RBG!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 06:21
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Love the notorious RBG!
Me too! Thanks for sharing the article, Janet!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 06:23
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I think it's wonderful that she's sharing what keeps her strong. The book may serve as an example for other older women.

So proud of her, her recovery and ongoing vitality.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 07:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Politico article was titled:
I Did Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Workout. It Nearly Broke Me.
Pumping iron with RBG's personal trainer is no joke.

This funny article was wrtten by a young, fit male, and the video shows much of the workout. Near the end the trainer makes him do "sit-uppers" the most important functional exercise to avoid needing a nurse 24-7."

Quote:
Asked earlier this month about the most important person in her life, Ginsburg, who was widowed in 2010 and lost a close friend with the 2016 death of Justice Antonin Scalia, responded, “My personal trainer.”

That would be Bryant Johnson, 52. You could think of Johnson’s sturdy limbs as a fourth branch of government, grafted onto the judiciary, keeping it aloft. When Johnson is not helping run the District courthouse or fulfilling his duties as a Sergeant First Class in the Army Reserves, he moonlights as a physical trainer to local jurists, including not only Ginsburg, but also Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan, two of the high court’s other three reliably liberal votes, as well as several appeals court judges.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...n-breyer-214821

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-03-17 at 07:29.