Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Ah...that usually means that you are getting ready for a whoosh, Trappa!

Consistency really is the ticket!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 05:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Back to -21. Where I was a week ago. Awaiting whoosh.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 14:52

Plan: keto
Stats: 225/180/150 Female 69"
BF:
Progress:

59 here and have lost 21 pounds since Oct. 2016 but lost lots of inches and don't know how many because I didn't measure before I started.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 22:23
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Just turned 56, Jan 10

I am hoping and praying this WOE still is as successful as my last time here. I believe this is my highest weight ever but I'm 8 days in and 8 pounds lost.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 09:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thought I'd "weigh" in.

I'm going to cut and paste from my new journal. Just to let you know the length of my battle.

My name is Glenda Glayzer and I'm presently 71 years old. I've been following LC since Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution, 1972. I wanted to note here the recent choices I made which made my WOE work better for me and broke my 6 year plateau:

1. In 2014 DH read an article suggesting 10K steps per day for optimum health. I've never been good at sticking to an exercise regime, but I came up with a plan. In May 2014 I got my first fitness tracker and my plan worked! I've walked almost every morning since then, and I log an average of 60 miles per month. (only wear the tracker first walk in the morning)

2. Thanks to the wonderful people here on this forum, I discovered the thread on Dr. Jason Fung. On February 5, 2015 I started following the Fung Protocol for Intermittent Fasting. It broke my 6-year plateau.

3. I came across an article online suggesting that the lymph system (which has no pump as does the blood system) could be stimulated with the up-and-down motion of a trampoline. On April 16, 2016 I added mini-trampoline gentle bouncing to my daily regime. I noticed an immediate improvement in my overall circulation and a drop-off in arthritic finger pain.

4. November 11, 2016 I gave up cow's milk dairy and eggs. I immediately began to lose weight again. I can actually see the difference on my body. Although I'm not diabetic, I've continued to home monitor my BG which has stabilized downward. Even FBG is now at 81.

We see here every day proof that every body is different. What works for one does not necessarily work for another. These choices helped me.

For me this is not a race to an end, but an endurance contest composed of every day choices I make.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 08:37

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Hi Blues singer, VWD! Wow..I'm trying to figure out the best plan for me as well. I know about Dr. Fung's IF and I was going to do it as well. I had a recent health problem though. I have a left sided kidney stone. I don't understand I drink a lot of water and fluids. I need to figure out the cause of it . Its a calcium stone. Its also 16mm pretty big. I just had lithotripsy done and I don't think it broke it up. The urologist was vague about whether it worked or not and just kept saying he gave it the highest jolt. So not happy with him. I may look in to homeopathy.
I read that calcium supplements can cause them and I was taking 500 mg of calcium every day on top of what is in my multi. Definitely stopping that. That could have been the cause.

I'm also not sure if my change in diet to a high protein low carb diet had caused this stone.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 09:07
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers

I read that calcium supplements can cause them and I was taking 500 mg of calcium every day on top of what is in my multi. Definitely stopping that. That could have been the cause.

I'm also not sure if my change in diet to a high protein low carb diet had caused this stone.
I've never had the problem, so it's hard for me to comment. Sounds like something to avoid. I stopped taking calcium supplements several years ago, worried about what they might do to me down the line. I do take Vitamin D3. My supplements change often. For example, I used to take supplements for joint pain, but dropped them when I no longer had the pains.

I don't push the protein or fat and have never kept macros. Just do what seems to work best for me.

Thing is, nobody can see inside your body to know what you need. Maybe that changes, ebbs and flows.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 08:11

I think it was the calcium supplements because on top of what i was taking, I was drinking soy milk, and almond milk ALL have ADDED calcium carbonate to them! I think I OD'd on calcium. I've stopped the calcium and I'm not using anything with added calcium in it anymore (including multi vitamins with calcium). Reading those labels. I just take vitamin D now. IDK about others but I must be sensitive to too much added calcium carbonate.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 13:30

Plan: CALP
Stats: 205/183/170 Male 5' 11" inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm 62. My metabolism seems to have slowed down, and I have been unsuccessful losing about 15 lbs I have put on. For my first steps, I'm eliminating cheese and peanuts and eating low carb breakfast and lunch. Just now for lunch I had chicken and half a cucumber. All of my problems are dinner-time and post-dinner. If my diet is working correctly, I shouldn't be struggling with cravings. But I am, so I'm trying to get things squared away. I walk frequently, not strenuously, but probably 2 miles or more a day. I was feeling much better when I was doing push ups and pull ups, but first I had pretty severe pain in my upper back muscles which sidelined me. For the last three months I have an inflamed and sore tendon in my elbow that is connected to my tricep. Push ups and pull ups aggravate it, so my upper body toning has dropped of almost completely. My soft blubbery upper body does bother me, so that's the motivation. Plus, I'm tired a lot. Last, I moved out of the states, and retired, so my routines that were working so well in the states got blown out of the water.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 14:59
Doing My Best

Over my long history of dieting, which started when I was 9 (63 years I've been off and on diets) I also tried CAD. It didn't work for me. Took more control than I could exert and I never lost cravings.

I learned that to be successful, I have to be an abstainer. Are you an Abstainer or Moderator?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-give-something

Eating LCHF at my age (almost 72) keeps me from having cravings and lets me lose a little bit of weight as time goes by and I keep to my WOE religiously. Can't let my forbidden foods get a foot in the door.

In November 2016 I gave up cow's milk dairy in all forms, eggs and nuts. Sad. I force myself to walk at least 2 miles every morning. Every morning before the sun come up. If I don't do it then, I won't do it at all.

I paid for a trainer expressly so that I won't hurt myself and I start Monday morning. I'm scared about it and looking forward to it at the same time.

62 is a great age to take control of all those things you promised yourself you would. You can do this.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 06:17

Hi I'm back. I passed the stone so I'm ok. I'm glad it was very small. I like to drink water. That probably really helped. Trying to get back on plan.